Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Remember all the horribleness that people in Dayton Ohio suffer is worth it because some person in Bangladesh a place most posters will never visit has a job which involves them being crushed by a badly built factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I love how not wanting third cousins losing their jobs due to their plant being moved to Indonesia is now racist. Supporting family is apparently a bad thing.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

caps on caps on caps posted:

"we could not care less if tens of millions of black and yellow people starve to death, at least without trade there is less capitalism"
literally this thread

and lol the idea that now suddenly IMF investments have defeated poverty. How clueless can you be?

Yes and exactly during that time there was no economic growth (for literally thousands of years) and one third of your country might suddenly die because there's too much or too little rain.

Hey that's how it works people tend to care more for their fellow countrymen who live in places they have been then for someone thousands of miles away. Calling them racist for looking out for their relatives or friends interests doesn't make them want to support you wanting to destroy their livelihoods.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

I'm pretty sure my car loan from my credit union doesn't have anything to do with a scam but I'll go check under the hood for tentacles to make sure.

Hmmmm.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/BC6AA1D8-49EB-11E6-8B4F-F82544D59F96?client=safari

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

double nine posted:

A worse scenario I see re:finance regulation is that the republicans will cut every regulation they can, then because of Trump & his cabinet's popularity they get ousted from office in 4 years, and then the democrats get to clean up & blamed for the resulting financial crash/crisis.

There Is probably going to be recession before or after the midterm elections .

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it says delinquency is rising always the sign of good times ahead.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

Looks like we got a lot better at mitigating recessions after ww2.

Actually if you notice it got worse after deregulation.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Remember everyone caps on caps on caps has suggested that Workers in first world companies should have to lsoe their jobs and see them moved to unsafe sweatshops that pay .50 $ a day because apparently that is moral.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I said that reduction of absolute poverty from 85% worldwide to less than 30% worldwide is a huge achievement but thanks I forgot to discount brown people's value sufficiently I guess?

I will gladly do that because I care more for my fellow Americans. I could give one poo poo about someone in Bangaldesh. Also if someone were to come to power and promised that liberals who want Americans to suffer because a bangaldeshi deserves their job would dissapear. I would vote for them in a heartbeat.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Remember when Nazi Germany lost WW2 because they ran a planned economy?

Actually it took well into 1942 for them to become a command economy. Everyone else was long before them.

"Corporations are the same as countries, hence, the world should be run non-democratically in a hierarchical fashion lead by CEO Donald Trump, competing with other worlds on the market of worlds" - Forums poster Ratoslov

Actually having worked at Walmart for over three years and seeing the inefficiencies the company had due to various confusing orders from the home office that ate away at Manager morale, I can say there is not that much difference between a large company and a over beuracicised command economy country.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
What the left needs in a sense in a Nicene creed. We know what we stand against. We stand against the sociopaths that run corporations. We stand against totalitarian capitalism. We stand against racism. We stand against sexism. But now we must say what we stand for. We must articulate what we believe. What we offer. THe Neoliberals despite being parasites in needing of gulags offer a vision. "We'll give you the ability to fulfill your potential without government impediment". We should say. We stand for the workers being able to actively decide what their enterprise does going forward. We believe women shouldn't be oppressed by a system that sexually abuses them. We do not believe in dividing people based on the color of their skin, or their creed they profess. We believe in the liberation from top down corporations. Through removing all these which divide and destroy humans we believe that we can build a society that can bring all of us to the stars.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

got any sevens posted:

And if it becomes a serious threat the US will send in hit squads again to ensure continued banana republics :911:

But a man can dream...

Not really. The USA is far to obsessed with punishing the middle east to really pay that much attention to South America.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Either it brings back manufacturing or causes another world wide depression which he gets blamed for.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

I read somewhere that VATs as implemented in most EU countries replicate the effects of a border adjustment tax but I'm not sure how exactly they compare

Matt Yglesias' podcart on.Vox did a segmen on it, if you can stand the sound of that guy's voice for more than 30 seconds

That is a joke right.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

got any sevens posted:

Molotov cocktails, gulags, and guillotines, ofc.

Ftfy.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Private Speech posted:

No sorry people in the US have a pretty good life compared to the vast majority of the world. Slightly less good than the previous generation, but still really drat good.

This is the liberal equivalent of 95% of poor people have refrigerators.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

call to action posted:

Thanks for tacitly admitting that it's worse to be poor in America with a toothache than almost anywhere else.

There's actually large swaths of people in America that don't get paid minimum wage, they do this stupid poo poo called "producing all the food". But again, somehow earning a few dollars a day in an open field with no toilets is better in the US than it is in India.

Has anyone else noticed this strategy for neolib/capitalism apologists? The pivot from "a rising tide lifts all boats" to "just be happy you're not in CHINA" was effortless for these morons. It takes some deft hands to say "gently caress the struggle of literally every poor and minority in America" and still portray yourself as something other than an inhuman monster.

It might be that they are worse than conservatives at least conservatives admit they want people to suffer.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 3, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So should I be concerned that I am seeing reports of downturn in recourse extraction sectors of Africa's economy while I am also seeing German Manufacturing taking a hit?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

curufinor posted:

Wage growth is caused by better bargaining positions

Guns at capitalists necks, bombs thrown in haymarket squares: deffo good bargaining position for workers who don't do that
In the last 40 years, no good bargaining positions for workers

Probably a good idea for workers to buy guns.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BrandorKP posted:

1. Power in our society. This change the relative power between groups. It's driving democracy into oligarchy. It's the authoritarianism hidden within freedom that can/might kill freedom.

2. People perceive relatively. If in relative terms they are falling behind, then that is perceived as no progress. If there is no perception of progress then people's outlooks become radical. Radicals will draw a clear line delineating where things should go no further. That line is often historically drawn between the head and shoulders, or in camps (eg Crowsbeak). One can see in here in these forums already.

2. Hey look explain to me why someone who has been given plenty of evidence that being a greedy poo poo is bad and does it anyways doesn't need some physical encouragement to drop it?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BrandorKP posted:

Did Robespierre keep his head?

Robespierre didn't have camps. I believe that given the right physical encouragement most people no matter how far they have gone down can be made to see the light and stop being greedy, and prideful creatures. Of course there should probably be some sort of act of contrition if they are to be allowed back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BrandorKP posted:

Well that pretty clearly illustrates the point I was making to Wateroverfire.

Crowsbeak where does all this put you relative to the cross?

Well Brandor I am unsure, but increasingly I think that Chesterton may have been too soft in where he was going.

• Locked thread