Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/real-estate/house-flipping-skyrockets-sparks-concern-over-housing-bubble-n530866

quote:

House flipping - buying and reselling a home to make a quick buck - has risen in some hot housing markets, prompting concerns that local housing bubbles could be developing, according to a report published on Thursday.

The report by RealtyTrac found that home flipping in 12 active metropolitan areas last year was above a peak set in 2005, just two years before the U.S. mortgage market started to collapse, leading to a banking crisis and the Great Recession.

I see we've learned nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Of the concerns listed in the OP. It looks to me like the most immediate danger 11 months later is the collapse of the Italian financial sector.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Rated PG-34 posted:

This compounded with the lack of recovery from 2008 spells trouble. Apparently people joked to Hillary that it's good she didn't get elected as this downturn would be on her and potentially catastrophic.

Indeed. Official unemployment for November was announced today to be 4.6%, but factor in underemployment and those who've stopped for work and the rate is 9.3%.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Raldikuk posted:

Their third largest bank is struggling to raise 5bn euros? jfc

The situation becomes worst when you find out two things:

1. Under new EU laws a bank's creditors must take losses before a government can step in with the public's money to save it.
2. 45% of all Italian banking debt is held by average Italians.

A year ago Italy stepped in to rescue some of it's smaller banks under the EU rules and 130,000 shareholders and bondholders lost everything. An elderly pensioner killed himself after losing his life savings.

There was outrage, so Renzi asked the EU to wave the rules for Italy, but was rebuffed by Merkal and the EU.

With a government solution politically untenable. Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena is now trying to raise the money itself. I'd like to note that the $5.3 billion attempting to be raised is 10 times that of the bank's current market capitalization of $590 million and it's bad loans total $30 billion. $2.15 billion is held by the average Italian. The problem is clear to see.

If a deal to raise private money falls through then it looks like the European Central Bank will step in. Guarantee full repayment of the first 100,000 to every junior bondholder. Senior bonds and deposits left untouched. Pen off the $28 billion bad loans to a securitization vehicle supported by a government guarantee.

The other Italian banks also need to raise capital though, if no wants to invest private money into Monte dei Paschi, who would want to with the others? Except the public's money.

Like Dead Cosmonaut said, they're trying to avoid the public noticing how bad the situation is, but if people do notice and panic that their money isn't safe and a bank run occurs then we're in for a bad time.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

It appears efforts to raise private money have failed. Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena's board has sent a letter to the European Central Bank asking for an extension to mid-January to raise the 5 billion it needs.

If the ECB refuses than Italy will precede with a "bail in" in a few days. Rome is arguing that due to calm markets that the extension should be granted.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Earlier today I read shrike82's post and decided not to reply to it.

A moment ago I saw a bunch of new posts and thought something significant had happened and people were discussing it.

Turns out other people read shrike82's post and decided to reply.

I'd prefer if we can share and comment on the developments of the various structural issues facing national economies as we see them unfold instead of raising to troll bait like fish to a lure.

I'm disappointed in you thread.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

And there was also groverhaus.

When Grover's do-it-yourself home renovation was so bad it got it's own SAclopedia entry and smilie :grovertoot:

but back on topic:

Upward mobility has fallen greatly and income inequality has surged.
  • Only half the children born in the 1980s grew up to earn more than their parents did, after adjusting for inflation. That's a drop from 92 percent of children born in 1940.
  • It finds barely 2 in 5 men born in the mid-80s grew up to earn as much, at age 30, as their father's did at the same age. It shows average rates of mobility falling particularly fast in Rust Belt states, most notably Michigan and Indiana. And it finds a much steeper drop in absolute mobility for the middle class than for the poor.
  • The bottom 50 percent of U.S. income earners only gained 1 percent in earnings from 1962 to 2014, after adjusting for inflation.
  • From 1980 to 2014 nearly 70 percent of income gains went to the top 10 percent.

I don't see the Trump Administration reversing this. The planned tax cuts would likely widen it even more.

Interesting move from the European Central Bank.

It will extend it's bond-buying program to December 2017, but drop the amount from 80 to 60 billion starting April 2017. Seems to be trying to walk the tightrope between the Germans fearing inflation and Southern Europeans fearing deflation.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

What were the numbers like for women? I didn't see anything about a gender split in the article, but I'm phone-reading.

Page 15. End of Section IV:

quote:

When comparing childrens family incomes to their parents family incomes as in our baseline analysis, we find similar declines in absolute mobility for sons and daughters (Figure S10). However, the patterns differ by gender when we focus on individual earnings. As noted above, sons chances of earning more than their fathers fell steeply, from 95% in 1940 to 41% in 1984, underscoring the sharp decline in the economic prospects of American men. In contrast, the fraction of daughters earning more than their fathers fell from 43% for the 1940 birth cohort to 22% in 1960, and then rose slightly to 26% in 1984. The pattern for womens individual earnings differs because of the rise in female labor force participation rates and earnings over the period we study (Figure S11). In sum, the subgroup analysis shows that declines in absolute mobility have been a systematic, widespread phenomenon throughout the United States since 1940.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

OhFunny posted:

It appears efforts to raise private money have failed. Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena's board has sent a letter to the European Central Bank asking for an extension to mid-January to raise the 5 billion it needs.

If the ECB refuses than Italy will precede with a "bail in" in a few days. Rome is arguing that due to calm markets that the extension should be granted.
Update on this:

The European Central Bank has rejected Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena's request for more time to raise private money.

The bank's board should be meeting soon to request a bailout. The real question now is how Italy goes about it.

Does Rome follow EU rules and wipe out the savings of small time investors? Fueling anti-EU and strengthening anti-EU parties? Or attempt to shield them? Defying EU rules and undercutting the union. I don't see any good options.

UniCredit, Italy's largest bank, will announce being attempting to raise 13 billion starting Tuesday. I don't see them getting it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Horseshoe theory posted:

How's Intesa Sanpaolo doing?

All I could find was a chart showing that of it's loans 15.7% are bad.

http://www.businessinsider.com/statistics-non-performing-loans-npls-italy-banking-system-2016-11?r=UK&IR=T

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Depending on how this plays out we may have to scratch low oil prices off the OP list.

OPEC and non-OPEC producers have come to an agreement to slash production by 1.8 million barrels produced per day.

Saudi Arabia has stated it may cut production even more than it's agreed too. Although there's speculation that, like most times, some nations (especially Russia) will not cut back or cut back less than agreed.

At the moment though the news has oil prices up 20% from Nov 30. Analysts predict it will take a year for the US and other Shale producers to pick up production enough to offset the cut back. Bank of Americas Blanch forecast $70 by mid-2017.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

A few things I've been reading about :

1. Monte Paschi

I think we've pretty much covered the various scenarios that can occur with Monte Paschi, but recall how earlier in the thread when Mozi said it takes some time for people to notice just how bad things might be?

It appears people (or rather investors) have noticed and are pulling their money out. Monte Paschi's deposits lost 6 billion worth of euros between September 30 and December 13. 2 billion since a December 4 referendum.

The government stepping in I think is all but certain.

2. American credit card debt reaches all time high.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. Credit underlines our economic system. You buy with credit and then pay later.

What concerns me is that the high amount of credit card debt per household, almost $8,000, suggests that our growth is being fueled by credit instead of income. Unemployment is low, but part-time jobs and stagnant wages means credit is supplementing low incomes. Defaults are low at 2.86%, but I think it's something to watch.

3. Stock Market and US economy

Interesting talk from David Rosenburg. He points out that for the first half of the year that US GPD growth was essentially flat at 1%. It was stronger in the 3rd quarter, but estimates from UBS, JP Morgen, etc for 4th quarter growth are below 2%. The return of higher rates and more traditional monetary policy from the Fed signals slower 1st quarter growth in 2017. Trump sending plan (if it happens) won't kick in until the later half of 2017 and is way everyone is talking about stronger US growth.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/20/trump-to-oversee-fiscal-bloodbath-instead-of-prosperity-says-reagan-omb-director.html

Interesting talk from David Stockman, former director of the Office of Management and Budget under Ronald Reagan, on CNBC.

Arguing that Trump has no room to grow the economy since things are at highs right now and that the market is delusional about a Reagan 2.0 grow.

Also pointing over that the fight over repealing the ACA is going take months of time and that the debt ceiling is going back into place in March.

That the tax reform will be a neutral swap that doesn't put money into the economy.

Seems to think there'll be a showdown over amount of debt added over the infrastructure bill from the more fiscal Republicans.

Thoughts? I for one am wondering when the bubble is gonna burst on Wall Street's dream of there's going to be a massive economic boost from Trump's economic policy.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

If the markets crash and we have another recession/depression happening, what happens if Trump orders the GOP to pull a China and close markets/make it illegal to sell/deny reality etc?

That would be total chaos.

People and investors would panic.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/26/trump-calls-for-20-tax-on-mexican-imports-to-pay-for-border-wall

The trade war with Mexico is a go.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

It's been pointed out elsewhere that the United States imports a lot of food from Mexico.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-26/a-mexican-border-tax-would-hit-avocados-chili-peppers-beer
  • Fresh vegetables -- The U.S. imported from Mexico $4.84 billion of tomatoes, onions, chili peppers and other vegetables. Thats more than four times what was purchased from Canada, the next biggest importer.
  • Fresh fruit -- There were $4.28 billion of shipments, including raspberries, strawberries and avocados. Mexico sells more than twice as much fresh fruit to the U.S. as the No. 2 importer, Chile.
  • Wine and beer -- Hold that Corona? Mexico led this category, supplying $2.7 billion, almost $1 billion ahead of its biggest competitor, Italy.
  • Snack foods -- With $1.72 billion of imports into the U.S., Mexico is No. 2 here, while Canada sells roughly twice as much.

Thinking about it Trump could impose a 15% tariff via executive order by declaring an emergency any flimsy exucse (Mexico's trade with us is a disaster!) and spike food prices.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Probably the bigger snag is going to be education. The American education system is already a dumpster fire and the GOP loathes public funding in schools. It'll be great for the rich if the "all private, all the time" thing goes in but it's going to suck for the rest of us. That's also going to dick over America as a whole overall in the very long term. You'll have fewer college graduates, fewer people graduating high school with the numeracy required for modern jobs, and an overall lower education level. That means fewer engineers, fewer programmers, fewer doctors, fewer mathematicians, etc. Less funding for colleges means less pure science getting done which is going to cause America to lag behind especially given the right's tendency to reject any science that disagrees with their beliefs. It'll be like the Nazis getting screwed over for rejecting "Jewish science" all over again. This is also going to utterly dick over America if it gets into yet another war as well. An unhealthy population that can't see doctors and can't afford enough food doesn't generate good soldiers. Similarly a badly education population can't generate better gear than the enemy especially considering that the military industrial complex only cares about shoveling money into the pockets of people who own the contractors. Deregulation leading to shoddy, dirty products will cause worse innovation in the private sector in general and good that can't compete internationally.

What I'm saying is that Trump's plan to fix America is comparable to remodeling a house with nothing but a gas can and a book of matches.

The part I highlighted is already a huge problem.

Only about a quarter of Americans 18-26 years old meet the US military's fitness standards.

I'm sure we'll lower them to the floor again like we did when we invaded Iraq and people stopped signing up, but the quality of the average soldier will be worse.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-02-28/ryan-said-to-forge-unexpected-alliance-with-bannon-on-border-tax

quote:

The proposed border-adjustment plan would tax U.S. companies domestic sales and imports at a new 20 percent rate, while exempting their exports. The change -- which would replace the existing 35 percent tax on companies global income -- would encourage companies to bring manufacturing back to the U.S. and reverse the tide of corporate tax inversions, Ryan says.

Can't wait to read about this next to Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act.

God the trade and currency war this would cause.

edit: Just saw this too:

https://twitter.com/ReutersPolitics/status/837144192631570432

quote:

"Unlike earlier presidents, Trump is signaling a willingness to impose import restrictions -- especially against a country like China -- where the justification under WTO rules for doing so may be highly questionable," said Chad Bown, a senior fellow and trade expert at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington.

"The downside of the United States going down this path is that it is likely that other countries will follow suit immediately," Bown added.

Christ. He's going to tear apart the whole international trade system down.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 2, 2017

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Atlanta Feds Q1 GDP Now Estimate Falls to Just 0.8%

That doesn't look good. Even worst when federal workers become unemployed if the proposed cuts to the various federal departments go through.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

BrandorKP posted:

G20 just dropped its commitment to free trade.

and we inch that much closer to a trade war.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Stocks had their worst day in 6 months. Looks like they may have snapped out of their Trump Dreams, but I guess we'll see what's what soon.

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/844247587653914625

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/844278449019801600

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Oh right. The border tax is a go btw. Retail is already under heavy stress. This will probably push the bankruptcies forward.

Border tax has become a 'given,' chief GOP tax writer says

quote:

A border adjustment tax will probably make an appearance in the final tax reform plan, the Republicans' chief tax writer in the House of Representatives, Rep. Kevin Brady, told CNBC on Tuesday.

"My sense is that border adjustability has become a given. That it will be part of the final tax reform plan and now the discussions are how can it be designed in transition in a very positive way for importers," the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee said on "Squawk Box."

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

BrandorKP posted:

I'm hearing anecdotally from sales guys on the bulk side that there is about a 50% chance China "slams the door" on grain in retaliation if it happens. Have heard the same about Mexico.

I'd say with Mexico that's more than an anecdote. The plans are being laid already.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-22/mexican-companies-craft-plan-to-sidestep-u-s-grain-imports

quote:

One of Mexicos largest business groups is working on a bargaining chip ahead of talks to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement: finding alternatives to the U.S. for grain imports.

The Consejo Coordinador Empresarial, one of the nations top business chambers, is examining countries such as Brazil and Argentina to add new sources for soy, corn and wheat, according to Juan Pablo Castanon, the groups president. Exports from those countries could help Mexico adjust to the difficulties that a Nafta renegotiation might present, he said.

The renegotiation might bring increased costs to imports, and our own exports might be hurt, so we need to find new markets, he said in a phone interview, adding that the groups efforts are still in the initial stages. The chamber, established in 1976, represents the countrys main agricultural, industrial and financial industry organizations, among others.

A move by Mexican businesses to import raw materials from other countries could hit U.S. farmers hard. Mexico is the largest buyer of U.S.-produced corn, spending $2.5 billion in the 2015-2016 season, ahead of Japans $1.8 billion, according to the U.S. Grains Council. Mexico has spent $800 million on U.S. corn so far in the current season. The country is the second-biggest client for U.S. beef, having bought $1 billion in the 2015-2016 season, trailing only Japan.

quote:

Switching suppliers isnt as easy as flipping a switch. Mexico depends heavily on rail for imports from the U.S. and Canada, which wouldnt work for goods from South America. But Mexicos ports could handle imports from the south, and the benefits would outweigh the costs, Castanon said.

We need to open new doors, he said. As the trade talks progress, well see how we need to make use of them.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Can anyone else in the world even pick up the slack off the sheer volume of food exports that the United States produces? I was under the impression that the US was one of the few countries that had a huge surplus of food.

When it comes to corn the answer is no.

The US exports more than 2.5x the amount than the 2nd largest exporter.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Double posting, but subprime credit losses in the auto loan market are worsening.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fitch-on-auto-loan-market-2017-3/#the-subprime-auto-loan-delinquency-rate-is-moving-higher-1
http://www.businessinsider.com/mizuho-on-subprime-auto-lending-conditions-2017-3
http://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/ford-stock-price-march-20-2017-3-1001851020

Ford looks to be very exposed due to it's high levels of financing.

quote:

The number of Americans who have stopped paying their car loans appears to be increasing a development that has the potential to send ripple effects through the US economy.

Losses on subprime auto loans have spiked in the last few months, according to Steven Ricchiuto, Mizuho's chief US economist. They jumped to 9.1% in January, up from 7.9% in January 2016.

"Recoveries on subprime auto loans also fell to just 34.8%, the worst performance in over seven years," he said in a note.

"It's getting worse," Ricchiuto told Business Insider.

quote:

The 60+ day delinquency rate for subprime is closing in on the 6% mark, and is the highest in at least seven years.

"Fitch expects that deteriorating credit performance will be more acute in the subprime segment, driven to some extent by the expansion of less-tenured independent auto finance companies that have demonstrated higher-risk appetites and less underwriting discipline," the report said.

quote:

"The data suggest some notable deterioration in the performance of subprime auto loans," Fed researchers said in a post. "This translates into a large number of households, with roughly six million individuals at least ninety days late on their auto loan payments."

Then there is the effect on the broader economy. Ricchiuto said in a note (emphasis ours):

"The upturn in the domestic auto industry since the government bailed out GM and accommodated the merger between Fiat and Chrysler has been a mainstay of the economic recovery and expansion. Auto sales have exceeded all other consumer-related purchases and account for the bulk of the economy's upside since the turn in June 2009. This dynamic is likely to be tested in the weeks ahead as forward rates take on reduced Fed accommodation and lenders face rising losses on loans and leases made to subprime auto borrowers."

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Rated PG-34 posted:

what are the odds that if ford is toppled by risky lending, they'll get bailed out

100%. Any of the Big Three going under would a massive blow to the economy.

They are to big to fail.

Twerk from Home posted:

They're not going to get toppled, because cash is available for the company to do corporate debt. The automakers got in trouble before because of a liquidity crunch, and right now corporate lending is still easy.

You are probably right, but it's another sign that this economic expansion is nearing its end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/850433023929614338

Economy not looking strong.

• Locked thread