Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Chiming in from Mexico: Doing better than most of Latin America and weathering the storm for now.

Low oil prices and speculation have pummeled the peso, and it went from 15 for a dollar a year ago to 19 per dollar today. This has the manufacturing and tourism sectors sitting happy, but anyone importing anything is feeling the pain.
Curiously, this still hasn't resulted in rampant inflation yet, so that's good (keyword: yet).

The national oil company is in rough shape and has debts for more than it's assets' worth. 18 dollars per barrel doesn't help at all.

Salaries are mediocre and there's a massive informal economy, but hey, we're not Venezuela.

Tl;dr, have your holidays in Mexico, it's dirt cheap for you gringos now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Junior G-man posted:

Good piece by Ha-Joong Chang this morning in the paper about China.

While I agree with the general gist of the article the Chinese did create some spectacular asset bubbles of their own, on par with any that the west has created, but with way less accountability. And Chinese money is inflating bubbles elsewhere, contributing to the mess.

Freezer fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 22, 2016

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Then when pappap dies and the kids have to figure out what to do with the house...then what? The housing situation in America is just completely loving insane. A lot of banks just really, really don't want to sign home loans anymore and millenials are too buried in student debt and lovely wages to buy.

Well, that's just the chickens coming home to roost, isn't it? Turns out that if you create a generation of underpaid debtors with no sense of job/economic security, they will be hesitant to take 30 year gambles on overpriced assets.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Dawncloack posted:

I dunno, so far bonds seem to point more to panic than anything else. We'll see I guess, my bet is "Two Big To Fail 2: European Bogaloo", what with financial reform in the EU after 2008 amounting to zilch.

No worries, banks will be saved. Nothing a few additional rounds of austerity-fueled firings and pension cuttings can't fix.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Meanwhile, US stock markets hit another all time high. There's something weird going on here.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Mozi posted:

And in what ways do you estimate the world economy is better off and safer now than it was before the last time it blew up?

We have discovered the magical power of negative interest rates, which I'm sure won't backfire horribly.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Well, 2016 is over and this thread didn't deliver.

2017 will likely be a shitshow tough, so stay tuned. My unimaginative guess: trump trade fuckery with China starts a chain reaction which will involve house bubbles in China, Canada and Australia to burst. Europe stays poor and stagnant, and keep electing far right whackos. Latin America sparks some spectacular financial crises.

So yeah, happy new year everyone!

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Not to be a buzz-kill, because the topic is interesting and important, but maybe a healthcare thread is in order?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Well, I'd say that when your biggest trading partner threatens to bankrupt you unless you pay for their border wall, it's a good sign that you should look for other trading partners who won't bully you around on a whim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

If you're well-off now, chances are you'll be able to give you children enough of an advantage in life (education, capital, connections, etc.) that they'll probably end up well-off as well.

If you're a working class chump up to your neck in debt and living paycheck to paycheck, then having children is pretty much rolling the dice and hoping for the best.

Ain't our system a thing of beauty?

• Locked thread