Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

shrike82 posted:

The narrative that the economy's being screwed because millenials aren't spending hasn't panned out though.
with less being spent on big ticket items like a mortgage or cars, they spend more on day-to-day goods or services

Millennials spend like goons: they don't buy houses and cars, but they plow money into anime figurines and trendy restaurants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Cicero posted:

Good luck with that, every time a micro apartment complex goes up, people get really mad about what housing others choose to live in. It's not to their personal tastes, you see, and therefore should not exist, and furthermore anyone who prefers it is a literal babby. Fine with the trade-offs of a tiny apartment? Too bad, your personal preferences are incorrect and you should feel bad for having them.

edit: \/\/\/ right but they're banned because others find them distasteful.

This anger happens because entire families get forced into single bedroom micro apartments, recreating early 20th century slums.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the major reasons people want to move to the Bay Area is that there's a poo poo load of high paying tech jobs there and said techies end up driving a lot of demand. Tech giants offer tons of perks and that requires manpower, which creates jobs in the area. Plus that's been an urban area for quite a long time so you have a lot of families with a century of roots in the area. The other big issue is that when cost of living gets too high it can become impossible to move out. Unless you get a job offering relocation expenses you have to foot the bill for that yourself.

A lot of the rest of the country is completely in the shitter. Sure you could move to, say, Pennsylvania which has a low cost of living but...why would you? Not a ton of jobs here. Pittsburgh is growing again but really like a third of the city is still 100% abandoned. Why willingly move into the Rust Belt?

Why should society subsidize what is essentially your lifestyle preferences?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I'm all for "buying less things" and conscious consumerism (to the degree that sort of thing is really possible), but a movement to tiny homes/residences/mobile living is born from low wages, and nothing else. There have always been people that want to live like that, but it's not because they had to. The number of people doing it now, they're doing it because they have to.

In San Francisco though, it's probably very likely that there's a huuuuge shortage of occupiable rooms compared to the number of people who want to live in San Francisco. No single entity is making San Francisco expensive except for the individual snowflakes who are convinced they play no part in the blizzard.

• Locked thread