Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So I've been reading Naomi Klein's Capitalism vs Climate novel for my economy minor all week, and I've noticed that the free market fundamentalist-controlled global economy appears to be absolutely opposed to adapting to climate change. WTO, EU, UN, I'm looking at you for the poo poo in Ontario. Apparently the WTO hates it when renewable energy firms try to localize, as it would 'disrupt free market trade.' These fuckers are going to get us all killed I swear. How much of this poo poo is true? And what might happen in the nearer future that could permanently upset the monopoly of free trade fundamentalism and the WTO, if anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I guess it's time to discuss the election's impact on the economic prognosis of America and the world.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

MiddleOne posted:

Expect worldwide economic collapse if the US actually puts up tariffs.
Worse for the world or worse for America? I'm just wondering how hard we'll be hit by that.

Or by China imploding.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

shrike82 posted:

With a UNSC comprising of Trump, Putin, May, Le Pen, Jinping, it seems like a stunning repudiation of globalism
I am surprisingly okay with this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm not sure where you're coming from but no it's a bad thing and makes the world a whole lot more dangerous for everyone.
I am highly skeptical if not opposed to the direction the global market is taking, in a similar vein to the thoughts of Jim Davis and Naomi Klein.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

MiddleOne posted:

I don't think it'll crash the S&P500 anytime soon but I'm very worried about the international bond markets. So many economies are completely drowning in housing bubbles and all it'd take to burst it at this point is someone shouting fire loud enough to crash the entire thing.

Like look at household debt in Canada, Australia, Sweden, UK, Ireland, etc. It's terrifying.
How long would it take a country like Canada to recover from a housing bubble pop?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

THE YUAN IS COLLAPSING DESU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Trump is pretty likely to cause untold economic woes to Main St. In the short term Wall St. and K St. will do just fine; they'll see pretty big gains. There are more jobs now than when the Great Recession hit sure but most of them suck. Wages are absolutely stagnant and more and more jobs are being automated away. Trump is going to build a flimsy house of cards on top of the house of cards that is the economy right now.

poo poo will get bad. Whether it happens sooner or later is yet to be seen.
Worse than the Great Depression you suppose?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

This mother fucker has straight up sued the EPA to allow more mercury, arsenic and sulfur in the air.

Now he's supposed to lead it?
Somebody get Ivanka on the phone.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

cheese posted:

He's not the major player but he has certainly done his part to keep the system lovely. When given a real opportunity to push for change, he kept the knee bent.
Because he's spineless?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Happy New Year my fellow men! A period of massive economic tumult awaits us all! :kheldragar:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Get rid of all your morals.
And regain them when the storms pass. Hide them somewhere, rather.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

asdf32 posted:

It's going to be interesting watching Trump attempt to cut healthcare costs while constantly beating the "jobs" drum. Costs are jobs. Healthcare is close to 20% of the economy. Cutting healthcare 10% knocks out 2% of GDP.
And that is why Bernie among others are calling for massive demonstrations in favor of keeping fed healthcare in two weeks. Hopefully as impressive as those anti-Iraq War rallies.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Don't we have a healthcare thread somewhere in DnD? I'd like to talk about what happens step-by-step when China's market implodes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Freezer posted:

Not to be a buzz-kill, because the topic is interesting and important, but maybe a healthcare thread is in order?
Of loving course. We have only a week before Trump enters office and I want to see if he actually has the balls to start an all-out trade war with China.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Stocks are continuing to drop today. Are we seeing the start of the crash or is it too soon to tell?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

The average time between recessions is actually less than that, so we're "due" basically anytime. Recessions don't just happen, though, something actually has to trigger a slowdown in growth that spreads through enough of the economy to check all the boxes.
So you're implying that recessions can be predicted to an extent if you're smart enough?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Raldikuk posted:

To an extent they can be but the markets can remain irrational longer than one can often remain solvent so it can be quite risky even if you notice all the right boxes being ticked.
Still better than being the average bloke running around like a headless chicken the day the stocks crash utterly baffled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cicero posted:

Similarly, there can't be another recession, as goons pointed out in many threads, this last one was the one that finally death spiralled and destroyed capitalism.
That's bullshit and you should know it, considering that the entire globalist capitalist system has not yet reached it's black Thursday. Which will happen sooner or later.

Are corporations as invincible and 'too big to fail' as they'd like us to believe?

• Locked thread