Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

It didn't happen because of loose monetary policy, no, it happened because of unions

Weird how wages went up in industries and during times that unions were explicitly banned, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

Productivity-gains and improved technology have not raised wages in any of the industries I've worked in. They've especially done the opposite in the last one. Is that something they teach in econ? Where/when is it supposed to be true?

Is it one of those equilibrium things that's never actually true because all markets are always distorted?

It's one of those things that's true unless it isn't, kinda like how manufacturing productivity improved themselves out of a job

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's cool how our collective ability to retire is determined by this poo poo, isn't it?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
God dammit, should have taken my own advice and sold a week or two ago

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
They're betting the farm on police, security, and surveillance. Doesn't seem like a bad plan when half the country is too fat or sick to fight and the other half mostly all hates each other.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
::finger hovers over the Sell button on his retirement funds::

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I leased a Chevy Cruze last year for 24 months, with 30k miles, for a total price of $1,400 which I put on my credit card at the dealership. There's no way that can be sustainable. Looking at the best lease deals around right now, there are tons of new cars available for under $200/mo with less than $2k down... I can't blame people for not buying used at those prices.

call to action fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 23, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

Leasing is a fine way to constantly drive a new car if you want to drive a new car. If you qualify for targeted offers, leasing can also be an unbelievably cheap way to drive a new car. Watch here: https://leasehackr.com/

Leasehackr is the poo poo and exactly how I found my last deal. There's currently something almost as good if you currently lease a non-GM car (possibly Japanese only), brinigng payments down to something dumb like $100/mo for 12k miles/yr.

Leasing can be a bad idea, but at those prices it's barely more expensive than an older used car's maintenance and depreciation. Plus it owns to know you're covered for anything that happens to the car mechanically, and the only thing you need to do is change the oil and rotate the tires (sometimes you can even turn the car in with the original set!).

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/business/economy/jobs-report-retail-employment.html

Holy poo poo, nearly 35k jobs lost in retail in a single month

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So do people looking to have kids these days just not care that their kids will probably never work a "real" job, or...?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

readingatwork posted:

Most people don't make their babbymaking decisions based on a hypothetical job market twenty years in the future.

Maybe they should, it's not really a hypothetical that the job market in 20 years is going to be a disaster for those unlucky enough to be born with the right resources/skills/connections

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The rich get richer has been a pretty solid trend for the last 50 years.

Exactly. Even setting climate change and automation aside (which, lol), capitalism is pretty clearly in some sort of crisis (or more accurately, it's finally reaching the first world)

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
All I ever needed to know about Krugman was summed up in his columns smearing Bernie

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Krugman can go gently caress himself, he effortlessly pivots from "we needed more recovery spending, we're in a liquidity trap, workers need help" to "gently caress these WHITE MEN for voting for Trump, economics says they deserve to die"

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

If there's one fairly persistent trend in the post 1970s world it seems to be an almost complete aversion or sense of disdain toward politics, and one manifestation of that trend is that people hope some narrow and specific policy can substitute for more profound or sweeping changes.

Then what do you suggest we advocate for? I agree that UBI is a sham (somehow making ourselves even more dependent upon the whims of capital is supposed to help somehow?) but I don't see any other option, realistic or otherwise.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ardennes posted:

I think most people like having " a place to be" even if their job is relatively unimportant. People shouldn't have to slave away in order to survive, but by the same token, I think most people probably would still crave some type of schedule even if it was subconsciously. I have seen this first-hand with people on "funemployment" and a lot of the time they have no idea of what to do with themselves.

You only need this because what we used to have (community and family) is destroyed

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There's a difference between a Masters and a BA in Econ - the BA is pretty much just neoliberal/libertarian indoctrination

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
How the gently caress is it "risk averse" to not want to take a risk that has a 70-90% (depending on who you ask) risk of failing in the first few years, likely causing you to lose your home (if you had one), retirement, and possibly healthcare (if you're in a non-expansion state). Good luck at staying married under these conditions too

Risk averse has a definition, it means that you won't take a risk that has an equal chance of causing you to succeed or fail.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

wateroverfire posted:

Goons obsess on stats like these but not every new business has a 90% chance of failure.

There is luck involved - of course! But lack of skill, preparation, realistic plans, etc kills far more new businesses than luck. Basically don't be bad and be willing to work your rear end off for awhile (and know your business ofc) and you have a good shot at making it work.

Ah yes the classic "ignore the stats, you're above average!"

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
That needs to be a talking point. "It wasn't enough for them to have everything and ensure you had nothing. They had to make sure they shifted the last few taxes they had left onto YOUR shoulders." Honestly, the way 1099 is legislated and executed, it's one of the primary wealth transfers from the poor and working class to the wealthy at this point, or soon will be.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The obvious answer: cash, looking to skip the part where everything crashes and buy up poo poo at its low

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm seeing a few of my boxes being ticked right now. One of them is insanely low travel prices. I can book a round trip flight from Seattle to Kona for $360 right now, a Denver to Reykjavik nonstop for $300, etc, prices I haven't seen since right before/after the last crash. I can't imagine a plane full of people going from SEA to KOA for $180 each including tax is making the airlines much money.

Cicero posted:

Growth being 'meh' doesn't mean there's a recession. Words mean things.

How is the economy garbage for 'most Americans' in a way that wasn't also true in, say, 2005?

Housing is just as expensive, or MORE expensive in many areas (and in a way that won't likely pop as dramatically as it did in 2008), education is vastly more expensive (a UC degree costs 2-2.5x as much over that timeframe), and there are limits on consumer debt creation to paper over lack of wages. Jobs were about 10,000x as easy to get in 2005, too, and paid better.

call to action fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 28, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
America's only "low tax" if you're rich, once you combine all the regressive nickle and dime fees like car registration that costs me $500 a year on a newer Prius, the school fees for your kids, PIFs/sales taxes that apply on food and other goods that subsidize developers, the private garbage service you need to pay for now because the city one went tits up, the water bill that spirals higher and higher every month due to boomers wanting to pass the buck for repairs to younger folk, road tolls, healthcare copays, etc. we're feed and taxed out the rear end for comparatively nothing. Look at a disgusting state like WA where the rich get by completely scot-free while people who actually need to buy goods to live pay 11%+ sales taxes

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Devil posted:

And this is considered high?

Yeah, where do you live?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Still, for the average European to match that rate with VAT they'd have to move roughly half their purchases to used goods - which doesn't seem particularly realistic.

Europeans get personally sucked off by social services 24/7 compared to Americans though

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

sitchensis posted:

TBH any decision which economists hate gets a thumbs up in my books

Me too, I say this as an econ grad. Most conventional (i.e., non heterodox, non Marxist) economics is just justification for the rich to get richer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The basket of goods used to calculate inflation isn't realistic and insufficiently accounts for the housing, healthcare, and education pressure on households by weighing stupid poo poo like cheaper iPads against it.

• Locked thread