Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
Just another day in late capitalism:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/01/30/doomsday-prep-for-the-super-rich

The New Yorker posted:

“Saying you’re ‘buying a house in New Zealand’ is kind of a wink, wink, say no more. Once you’ve done the Masonic handshake, they’ll be, like, ‘Oh, you know, I have a broker who sells old ICBM silos, and they’re nuclear-hardened, and they kind of look like they would be interesting to live in.’”

I asked Hoffman to estimate what share of fellow Silicon Valley billionaires have acquired some level of “apocalypse insurance,” in the form of a hideaway in the U.S. or abroad. “I would guess fifty-plus per cent,” he said, “but that’s parallel with the decision to buy a vacation home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Neurolimal posted:

I really am curious as to what point in this apocalypse scenario politicians start weighing "country doesn't collapse into utter turmoil and chaos" and "get to go golfing with the 62 billionaires causing this mess" and err towards the former.

I mean, dont take this as a FYADesque call for assassination, but at some point a governor has to be pretty drat spooked that the liberal economy has resulted in simple army rifles being available to the deteriorating public billions for less than $200.

Collapse in and of itself doesn't produce political violence, as a cursory survey of the situation in formerly prosperous south american countries such as argentina or venezuela demonstrates. There needs to be both ideological and organizational support to challenge the ruling elites, and until that starts showing up there will be plenty of billionaires perfectly happy to rule squalid slums from their gated communities. Right now the people most affected by late capitalism aren't organizing in any way that would suggest any threat from outside the existing political system.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Maybe? But if so we'll just solve it with more QE, so no worries.

• Locked thread