Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

cheese posted:

Puerto Rico has been special-hosed for years now. John Oliver even did a full length segment on it last year on Last Week Tonight.

Didn't they try to enact a VAT a couple years ago to get in the black then get cold feet and repeal it right before it took effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DrNutt posted:

WA state is pretty weird. Politicians here keep putting income taxes on the ballot, and people keep voting them down, so regressive taxes just keep getting added and increased to make up for it. What I don't get is why they don't make a bill that introduces an income tax while simultaneously doing away with the sales tax. That might actually have a chance if voters can be decently educated. My guess is there may be something in WA State laws that prevents this, but I haven't looked into it that deeply. Either that or we just have lovely politicians which I can absolutely believe also.

Pretty sure your guess is right. I can't see that getting passed the single topic initiative rule.

• Locked thread