Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Monomythian posted:

http://fusion.net/story/285858/san-francisco-man-lives-in-tiny-box/

Peter Berkowitz is an illustrator, cook, and—most notably as of today—a 25-year-old man who pays $408 a month to live in a box in a San Francisco living room. Berkowitz calls it a pod, but it is a wooden box. Here it is:

He has access to the bathroom and kitchen and living room. This is not really a bad or desperate situation for a few years for someone young and single and who doesn't own a ton of poo poo yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If I recall (and understand) correctly, the Danish interest rate was lowered in 2012 as a response to currency speculation, specifically the bet that the Danish krone would be forced to unpeg from the Euro. Presumably, maintaining it at a lower level than the Eurozone is seen as a necessary precaution against future currency speculation.
It is not so much that anyone thought they would unpeg the krone from the Euro, but the fact that Denmark unilaterally could unpeg whenever they feel like it makes it a strictly better store of value to large investors, and thus can have lower rates to reflect this difference. In addition, there are fewer physical DKK in the world than Euros, making cash hording even more difficult, and therefore lower negative rates more possible.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That sounds like a different conclusion than most of the articles I can find (and what we've been told in the media over the last few years), but then those aren't always the most reliable. Do you have a link to a more thorough explanation?
I can only phone post for now, so it's a bit difficult to search for sources, but I do recall a blog post from Krugman from a few years ago that compared the interest rates of Finland and Denmark. They are quite similar economies in nearly all respects, except that Finland is on the Euro while Denmark has the krone which they've pegged to the Euro (but could decide at any time to allow it to float, if they want). The differences in interest rates could therefore be considered to be attributable to Denmark's ability to "exit" the Euro at will, while Finland could not. Just the ability, and not necessarily an expectation of actually doing it, was sufficient.

This was around the time that nominal interest rates first started going negative, and everyone was questioning whether such a thing could last for any significant length of time.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

override367 posted:

An economic crisis will give Trump the excuse to just eliminate the income tax, medicare, medicaid, social security, and the VA
Income tax is a poor and middle-class person tax, not a rich person tax. They're not going to get rid of it.

Trump and the Republicans will also not need any excuse beyond "we won" to do whatever the gently caress they want.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Oh I see. So, America just has a different definition of "baby" than every other country, which is why by every measure and report it only seems to have a horrifying infant mortality rate. When in fact, we have the best babies, really the most amazing number of deaths per 1,000 live births. Everyone says that, they say "America has a really incredible rate of baby death". That's what they say, it's really incredible. The best.
Our babies are living so much, that I'm getting sick and tired of babies living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

SickZip posted:

Housing

I've restored a couple houses and the general standard of construction difference between modern houses and older ones is ridiculous. You're also paying an absolute ton more then they did
This isn't really true, it's just survivorship bias. You're not seeing any of the lovely houses built 80 years ago because they were destroyed or demolished at some point for being lovely.

• Locked thread