Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ocrumsprug posted:

Sorry if this is off topic.

Since large parts of the world is still employing stimulus measures from the GFC (zero or negative interest rates, QE and/or infrastructure spending),

Just to be clear, while much of the western world is still at, near, or below zero percent interest rates, QE is mixed (the US Federal Reserve stopped months ago and is letting its QE portfolio roll off), and so far as I know, no major economy with the possible exception of China is doing major infrastructure spending.

quote:

if the wheels come off again this year, what tools do the various central bankers still have left to use? Do they have anything? Is there any economists talking about what comes next?

I don't think the wheels will come off, but the central bankers don't have many tools left in their box. And, really, that's okay because the solutions should be coming from the political process (Congress, parliaments, etc.) anyway. The best tool will still be increased government spending, although it is for some reason anathema to large segments of the population.

If there's a true deflation scare, I'm curious if we'd see the really heterodox policies come out--for instance, direct monetization of government spending by newly printed money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

I assume a return to QE and negative interest rates are possible (if not likely) the question if it will make much of a difference, and to be honest it probably won't. It may help stabilize a downturn to some extent but you need fiscal stimulus.

Agree that fiscal policies should do the heavy lifting. I also think--though I have little to back this up with other than intuition--that while skidding around at nearly zero percent is okay, actually going negative is going to be, on the net, ineffective or even counterproductive.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Goddamn it can we have one current events econ thread, I beg you

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Junior G-man posted:

So that would potentially make them as safe and not-dodgy as all those AAA-rated MBS and derivates of those before 2008 then?

Uh, you're misunderstanding.

A) these are used to help fund the bank, as opposed to something the bank purchased and whose blowup would endanger it (like MBS and CDOs did nine years ago).

B) there is not a gigantic market for these (as opposed to the trillions in RMBS that was out there)

C) they certainly don't trade as if they were incredibly safe. Investors in CoCos knew what they were getting into.

And if they do end up converting, it won't be the end of the world.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Past a certain point permabears begin to resemble Travis Bickle yearning for a hard rain to wash the scum from the streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

readingatwork posted:

Honestly I'd settle for micro-apartments becoming more of a thing in the US.

It's not really a matter of taste. They're outright banned in many jurisdictions.

• Locked thread