Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MiddleOne posted:

That's not even in a left sentiment anymore in 2016.

The stuff on the right is more gulag the (((bankers))) or (((globalists))), which is a not so subtle difference. I know the echoes thing is played out, but I'm not sure of another good shorthand for the modern version of the Jewish world conspiracy garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Well, this deepens the well. Why the gently caress does America have nearly twice as many preterm births as the UK?

Incredibly poor pre-natal care, plus the idea that many mothers have work even harder than usual to prove they shouldn't be fired for getting pregnant.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Private Speech posted:

Isn't that exactly what people said about Japan in the 70-80s? Yet somehow they aren't a factory of cheap goods and labour now. Bit odd really.

Considering the position Japan is in (a dead economy for over a decade, huge generational issues, etc) I'm not sure they are a great counter-example to bring up. I see China ending up in roughly the same place, just with much less wealth per capita and much worse conditions left in the aftermath.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

call to action posted:

car registration that costs me $500 a year on a newer Prius

Where is that? I thought we had higher registration fees, and that's only $165 every other year. And the state right next to me (WV) is full of people bitching that their registration went up from $21 to $51 a year.

High sales tax is the dumbest thing ever though. It's basically a handbrake on consumption, which is one of the major drivers of any economy. Income tax can collect the same amount of money without hurting your consumption nearly as much.

• Locked thread