Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

District Selectman posted:

Yeah, if people under 50 could learn how to manufacture astrospace things, that would be cool. Old boomers keep retiring and dying. Literally everyone I worked with at NASA ~one year ago~ has retired or died. If you want a job forever, you just need to learn how to make space stuff and you're golden, I promise. Competency is barely a requirement anymore.

gently caress it I'm down. I can even throw in a degree of competence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

paternity suitor posted:

The "creator" of the 401k never intended it to be what it is today, and concept of retiring solely on a 401k is a giant experiment. The classic three legs of retirement no longer exist for most people: government (Social Security), pension, and savings.

If you're aware of the risks, 401k's are beautiful, but they are indeed risky. In my opinion it's all asking too much. It should be enough to simply do something useful, do it well, and be taken care of later in life. This would be where you receive a fair pension for doing good work over your work life. Why do you also need to be a financial analyst? It's asking too much. Alas, that's the way it be. No use from wishing it weren't. We live in a capitalist society and you have to play by capitalist rules. The advantage, if you take time to understand it and work at it, is a lot of potential freedom. Again, should it be this way? No, I wish it weren't. But then I used to work with a lot of older guys, brilliant at their careers, decades of good and useful work in the rearview, but totally clueless in their investments and financial life. When it's all said and done, the guy who was mediocre at his job but learned some financial savvy will be better off in retirement.

Mind sharing quotes of the intention of the 401k, by somebody who had a hand in making them? Honestly I'm curious as to how it started.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kekekela posted:

Then you've got to deal with meltdowns, nuclear waste storage, etc as well as...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/02/22/jacobson.nuclear.power.con/

That opinion piece is pretty garbage. Uranium is about as scarce as tinfoil, and reprocessing is eminently doable. Anyone who claims that CSP is a proven technology is going have to give me their answer for the corrosion issue that they have with their fluid storage.

Like it totally is doable to have a completely renewable energy infrastructure, it just means that it'll be (ballpark guess) 1/4 of all economic effort, but to pretend it isn't a massive effort is a little nuts.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Explicitly, the Nazi's didn't run a planned economy (like more than rationing and the like) until 1943.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

That's why the postwar era ended, and why the power of labor had to be broken, because it was getting too much of a share of the economic product and causing inflation.

Got something to read that supports that statement?

• Locked thread