Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Helsing posted:

He also specifically campaigned against Hilary in the primary by opposing the individual mandate for health insurance.

I remember distinctly it was this and his nuanced stated position on Net Neutrality that swayed me to him in '08, as I remember similarly distinctly how pissed I was when he flipped on these positions as fast as logistically possible and we only kept net neutrality because of a wacky john oliver skit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Also she doesn't want it which is the only thing that matters.

I am increasingly of the opinion that the only people who should be allowed to become POTUS are the people who want the job the least, so only the most direly important stuff gets done.

We're choking to death on presidents and Serious Candidates who are already writing their hagiography before their asses are warming the fuckin' chair to which they aspire.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

The best verse from the best book. But two words from it have been bugging me, time and chance. There is a hell of a lot of time and chance in play now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGdhc9k07Ms&t=24s

I can't stop laughing at the indignation that maybe, just maybe, one's occupation coexists alongside family, relationships, hobbies and yes faith, gently caress you D&D as tools to create a niche for one's self purportedly because Mike Rowe said a dumb thing. I strongly suspect those most strenuously voicing these objections have not done much volunteering work among marginal populations like the homeless, convicts, disabled, etc.

The observation that the role of skilled work has been degraded by capitalistic pressures at all levels is a good and true one IMO, and it is my strong suspicion that trump's allure is conveying this sentiment to the halls of power, that if hard work is unappreciated at best and punished at worst and rewarded with the four ugliest words in the 21st century when someone above you realizes your skillset can squeeze a dime out of a nickel, then the effete shitheels in government who would dare tell us America Is Already Great can share a solidarity of misery if not a solidarity of class.

quote:

“There seems to be no effort to benefit from the knowledge and expertise of people who are here, who just want to help,” said the mid-level officer. Instead, they see the White House vilifying them as bureaucrats no one elected, and it all seems, the mid-level officer said, “symbolic of wanting to neuter the organization.”

“This is probably what it felt like to be a British foreign service officer after World War II, when you realize, no, the sun actually does set on your empire,” said the mid-level officer. “America is over. And being part of that, when it’s happening for no reason, is traumatic.”

Yeah, welcome to the part of america that exists between Los Angeles and DC you loving jabronie.

If you get a cat, then you get a scratching post and a litter box and a fishing rod mouse toy and you crack open the window in the summer so it can look out on the world not because of 19th century political writings about the obligations and ideologies of cat ownership, or 20th century writings about the econometrics of feline desire, but because cats don't really need a whole lot when you think about it and providing that keeps them from meowing at all hours and pouncing on your toes at 3AM when you're trying to sleep. When you have a shat-upon population you give them a place to live and food to eat and a worldly pleasure or three and a loving thing to do in this world or they start acting out and shooting guns where they should not and screaming filth at outgroups and casting misanthropic votes for political office if they bother to vote at all.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 5, 2017

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

This isn't hugely out of line with first quarter GDP over the last several years. I hate to be that guy, but people mostly want to talk about it now because we've got Trump in office instead of Obama. The truth is that the US economy has been stuck in the mud for most of this recovery and it only seems okay relative to most of the rest of the world. Good employment growth has really been the only thing driving the narrative that the economy is healthy.

Also I am mildly pissed that Very Serious Persons with milky, uncalloused hands have managed to ignore that the vaunted Obama Recovery was overwhelmingly (as in: 90%+) based in permatemp contracting when it wasn't part time.

http://dataspace.princeton.edu/jspui/bitstream/88435/dsp01zs25xb933/3/603.pdf

Hillary "America is already great" Clinton is a garbagelady and the DNC needs to be reformed with hot tar and pincers

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

wateroverfire posted:

As always, the actual paper is worth a read. A lot of nuance is lost in the retelling.

For instance, post-tax real income for the bottom 50% of earners in the US grew from about $18,000 in 1982 to $25,000 in 2014 measured in constant 2014 dollars. That's an increase of about 39%. (source: Bottom chart of Figure 3 in the appendices of the linked paper) - the same period in which the income share going to the bottom 50% declined (source: Top chart of Figure 3 in the appendices). Standards of living went up substantially for just about everyone even though inequality rose. IMO just talking about inequality makes for a shocking article but not one that's super useful in talking about the world.

Cool, now reconcile this with an actual basket of goods and not inflation as a statistic in a bubble. Y'know, health care, housing, education, fuel, food, etc.

• Locked thread