Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
So one of my co-workers today was telling me everything is hosed and I should convert my monies in the bank to silver and copper holdings.

What is D&D's take on this? Should I hoarde gold silver?

Seems cumbersome and weighty.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

TheBalor posted:

If things are so hosed that paper money becomes worthless, gold and silver will not be much better. Who is going to take this useless metal when US currency is no better than toilet paper? The local baron? The banker's guild? They have no more intrinsic value as a method of exchange than the institutions that supported them back in the day.

How are silver and copper useless? Copper is pretty much the de-facto material used for the conducting part of wires used to move electricity. Silver is used extensively in semi-conductors.

If things truly went to poo poo, I don't think silver would be that useful in a day to day sense. However, copper could still see a lot of use. (Pipes for drinking water in a post-plastic world.)

There is also a 2000 year of history of using copper, silver, and gold as currency. Paper money has been around for... 300-400 years?

• Locked thread