Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

Basically push Hawkman out of an airlock and go back in time to get Ronnie and we're good. Jackson's got potential as a character, but until someone in the writers' room stops being an idiot about black male teenagers on this show (natural athleticism! Illegal drag racer!), he probably ought to get benched for a while.

Unfortunately Ronnie is super not coming back because Robbie was recently cast in a new Netflix science fiction show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kegslayer posted:

Every season should start off with Rip Hunter giving the same speech to another set of scrubs that he's about to feed to the meat grinder :black101:

For any recurring characters, he can grab them five minutes before the last time he did so.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I dug it after the first 10 minutes got out of the way. My problem is that the team just doesn't work on an acting standpoint. I didn't hate the Hawks during the crossover event, nor Stein and Jackson in their bits when originally introduced, but when pitted against the like of Miller, Routh, Darvill, and Purcell they just don't carry the same weight on screen. It makes them feel worthless and drab by the sharp contrast. By themselves I don't think they'd be too terrible, but they're overshadowed by better talent. Even Lotz has brought up her game.

Pilots are usually pretty shaky as they find footing, so I'm hoping the other actors have a chance to shine.

The bar scene is exactly the sort of tone I hope the show to keep.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I agree with a those of you that are saying that much of the cast is unlikable, or at least often does unlikable things - it's just that this doesn't hurt the show for me. At first, I was bothered by it, to be sure. But eventually I recontextualized the show and adjusted my expectations. When Stein or whoever do something awful and ridiculous, now I don't get disappointed, I just laugh along with the show at what an rear end in a top hat they are.

I'm treating it more like something like Lexx or Farscape or Firefly. Rigel and Stanley and Jayne were never really "likable" characters, but that's part of the fun, watching to see how badly these screw-ups can screw up.

Hawkman still sucks, though. Nothing can save him. And Action Jackson's still a racist caricature 90% of the time. Also, X-O, I agree that Routh's performance was a little below average.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Sara's new costume looks grimy all the time.

more like the GREY Canary

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dead Snoopy posted:

more like the OFF WHITE Canary

fixed.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I would like to point out that the thread title is still wrong

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I like the meta-ness of them having to work with the most D-string characters that have no impact on the timeline.

I really like the dynamic of these mofos.

There was some discussion in the Flash thread over why he would pick like, White Canary and Heat Wave over someone like the Flash or Green Arrow or the various legendary characters who will eventually show up in the future. This was basically my theory, so I am glad they went with it.

It's also interesting how - with the exception of Ray Palmer - a lot of this "obscurity" is self-imposed. Canary is basically off the grid since she is afraid of going psycho, the Hawks are constantly on the run from Savage, Jefferson is only a reluctant hero at best, the Rogues typically stick to low key villainy because they don't want to keep as much off the radar as possible. I hope they explore this more throughout the season, especially how Palmer ends up fitting into this pattern.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Spoilered in case you guys didn't see the end of Arrow S3 or the beginning of S4:
Palmer is legally dead since he was declared so when he blew up his offices in Star City. When team Arrow finally rescued him from Darhk he opted to stay that way, so technically he's still dead to the world around him.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I just hope they give Heat Wave more lines delivered in that gravelly swagger..

"I like killing people"

<after they're told they'll settle for being criminals all their lives> "I'm good with that"

<in the middle of bar fight after he trashes a few bikers> "I LOVE the 70's!"

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Binary Badger posted:

I just hope they give Heat Wave more lines delivered in that gravelly swagger..

"I like killing people"

<after they're told they'll settle for being criminals all their lives> "I'm good with that"

<in the middle of bar fight after he trashes a few bikers> "I LOVE the 70's!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NAdpgiCc1o

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My opinions on the show so far is that its going to be mediocre but enjoyable. I can live with that. Arthur Darvill is great but they need to write better dialogue for him to deliver. Brandon Routh is improving as is Caity Lotz. Our local friendly villains remain well written and acted. The rest of the cast either needs to step it up or die trying. Some of it I can blame on the writers because so far they've not had any gems. But this is the first episode so I can remain hopeful.

Aphrodite posted:

Sara's new costume looks grimy all the time.

I like it better then the plasticy shiny latex the arrow cast get.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I'm pretty hopeful it's a pilot so those are always a little shaky. I like it though.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I think this show (even more so than the Flash) is pulling off the "live-action comic book" feel. It's pulpy fun with crazy action and asinine situations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Axel Serenity posted:

I believe that is actually the plan. Each season is self-contained with a new set of heroes. Constantine was confirmed, iirc.

That'd be cool, but when Constantine appeared on Arrow, Marc Guggenheim said that they were given permission to use Constantine with the understanding that it would be just that once. (Plus they reportedly had to make huge changes to their shooting schedule in order to accommodate Matt Ryan's other work.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think a second season is really in the works because the show is supposedly expensive as hell.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

muscles like this? posted:

I don't think a second season is really in the works because the show is supposedly expensive as hell.

I heard the same but it's not like they need to rebuild the ship sets.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

It had a 1.2 in the demo for it's premier, and it remains to be seen how much that number will drop for the second episode. Right now, Arrow is getting 1.0-1.1 and Flash is 1.3-1.4. Unless that number goes up by alot, I suspect you're right about it only being one season. The CW president hinted that they are considering a live action Vixon series, but he also hinted about her joining LOT so who knows.

GreenNight posted:

I heard the same but it's not like they need to rebuild the ship sets.

If nothing else, costuming in a show about time travel show has to be expensive.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Unfortunately Ronnie is super not coming back because Robbie was recently cast in a new Netflix science fiction show.

That's a movie, not a show.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

I dont know posted:

It had a 1.2 in the demo for it's premier, and it remains to be seen how much that number will drop for the second episode. Right now, Arrow is getting 1.0-1.1 and Flash is 1.3-1.4. Unless that number goes up by alot, I suspect you're right about it only being one season.
This is the CW my friend. They very rarely cancel any show, even with low rear end ratings. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend rates a .3 and they decided to renew it even before its lead star Rachel Bloom got a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Musical/Comedy Show.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Hate to double post, but here's a new clip from next week's show.

The visuals on Atom's shrinking aren't the best, but there's something highly amusing about all the crooks who try to snatch him while he blasts full sized lasers at them.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It was a good, fun hour of TV. And I think it's weird if you don't agree with me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lotus circle posted:

The visuals on Atom's shrinking aren't the best, but there's something highly amusing about all the crooks who try to snatch him while he blasts full sized lasers at them.

I like how Vandal is just sitting there watching this.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That's a great clip. The production values for this show are superb.

Honestly though...Savage should just be completely outclassed by these people, shouldn't he? I'm not even sure how he should be a threat to Ray alone.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Based on the preview the nuke will go off, but Firestorm will absorb it.

Cold and Heat Wave's blasts just knocking people over rather than doing the things that one would imagine them doing irks me a bit though.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Honestly though...Savage should just be completely outclassed by these people, shouldn't he? I'm not even sure how he should be a threat to Ray alone.

Eh, he uses magic so they can just sorta use that background to handwave whatever abilities or powers are necessary in a given scene.

Not that's a good thing, really.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Xelkelvos posted:

Cold and Heat Wave's blasts just knocking people over rather than doing the things that one would imagine them doing irks me a bit though.

I was wondering this myself. Someone needs to tell them that fire and ice don't work like that. Then again last time Snart showed up he literally froze light into a solid somehow and shattered it so I guess going the other way with it isn't nearly as bad.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

eh, only Ray and Firestorm would really be able to gently caress him up.

Dude is "magic" and would probably clown everyone else. 2 guys with guns, 2 worthless hawkpeople, a future guy with a future gun and an assassin.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
In the comic at one point he absorbed the ice gun's powers and became a mutant or something so I don't think scientific accuracy is high on DC's priorities.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hold on one second?! If he has a laser gun, why does it look like a revolver??? Why would a laser gun look like a revolver?????????

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What does Savage even do with magic? Damien Darhkhkh's done more magic than him. In the Flarrow crossover Savage had the staff of magical blue Horus explosions and that was the only impressive thing he's ever done. Barry should've hosed him up the very first time they met but he didn't because Barry's perennially brain-damaged. I'm sure we'll see Savage do...something...to prevent practically any member of this team from clowning him, but so far I can't imagine what it would be.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

lotus circle posted:

This clip is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for going into the show.

Xelkelvos posted:

I wonder if they are no longer showing them freezing people solid or setting them ablaze since they are now heroes, or at least not villains.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Hold on one second?! If he has a laser gun, why does it look like a revolver??? Why would a laser gun look like a revolver?????????

That's where the laser batteries are. Also when you need to kill rogue time-travelers, you need witnesses to say "He killed that guy with a gun" and not "He killed that guy with a phaser" otherwise you gently caress with the time-stream and no one wants to do that

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The future "Weapon" Holographicly camouflages itself to be period relevant because its true form would cause you to go mad.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

M_Gargantua posted:

The future "Weapon" Holographicly camouflages itself to be period relevant because its true form would cause you to go mad.

Did it get stuck on revolver after he spent a few weeks in the West getting drunk and shooting the poo poo with Jonah Hex?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

lotus circle posted:

this is what this show needs to be

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

It was a good, fun hour of TV. And I think it's weird if you don't agree with me.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

tsob posted:

Did it get stuck on revolver after he spent a few weeks in the West getting drunk and shooting the poo poo with Jonah Hex?

Well it'd just be silly if it was styled out of something from Victorian England.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

What does Savage even do with magic? Damien Darhkhkh's done more magic than him. In the Flarrow crossover Savage had the staff of magical blue Horus explosions and that was the only impressive thing he's ever done. Barry should've hosed him up the very first time they met but he didn't because Barry's perennially brain-damaged. I'm sure we'll see Savage do...something...to prevent practically any member of this team from clowning him, but so far I can't imagine what it would be.

Being immortal? I'll assume that him magic regeneration or whatever

or they could get anyone with a gun to shoot him a few times then get one of the hawkpeople to finish him off. the rest of the season is getting drunk and into bar brawls through time.

• Locked thread