Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

XboxPants posted:

Well it'd just be silly if it was styled out of something from Victorian England.

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dead Snoopy posted:

As soon as Stein handed over that roofied drink, I just turned to a friend and said, "this is some A-Team poo poo right here."

I'm 100% okay with them requiring drugs to get him on the timeship every episode.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Chokes McGee posted:

Imagine him in David Tenant's role only he gets a laser revolver and superhero crew

He even has a similar coat. Actually, now that I think of it, it's nearly a perfect cross of Tennant's Doctor's coat... and Captain Jack Harkness's coat. :barrowman:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Hold on one second?! If he has a laser gun, why does it look like a revolver??? Why would a laser gun look like a revolver?????????

Because it's fashionable in his time period to make stuff look retro?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The Lord Bude posted:

Because it's fashionable in his time period to make stuff look retro?

To set Malcolm Merlyn up for a Jack Harkness joke re: coat and revolver?

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

BrianWilly posted:

What does Savage even do with magic? Damien Darhkhkh's done more magic than him. In the Flarrow crossover Savage had the staff of magical blue Horus explosions and that was the only impressive thing he's ever done. Barry should've hosed him up the very first time they met but he didn't because Barry's perennially brain-damaged. I'm sure we'll see Savage do...something...to prevent practically any member of this team from clowning him, but so far I can't imagine what it would be.

Eh, in the Arrow/Flash crossover they made him a better straight-up fighter than just about all of team Arrow + team Flash, at least. 4000 years of experience throwing knives into peoples hearts counts for something. Probably something about magic steroids.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

It was weak in the way that pilots are, but I'm hoping that Darvill, Routh, Miller and Garber are enough to keep me watching. Frankly, just about any show could benefit from Wentworth Miller just hanging around and making snide remarks an smart-rear end comments. The biggest problem is that they do a lot of telling instead of showing how powerful and evil the villain is. "Macho Man" Vandal Savage isn't very compelling or intimidating so far.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ZDar Fan posted:

It was weak in the way that pilots are, but I'm hoping that Darvill, Routh, Miller and Garber are enough to keep me watching. Frankly, just about any show could benefit from Wentworth Miller just hanging around and making snide remarks an smart-rear end comments. The biggest problem is that they do a lot of telling instead of showing how powerful and evil the villain is. "Macho Man" Vandal Savage isn't very compelling or intimidating so far.

Vandal Savage hit Barry with THROWING KNIVES. He's loving hardcore. I'm trying to hide my sarcasm.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It looks like a revolver because they thought it looks cool with his space-duster. FFS.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I enjoyed this quite a lot. It was corny but what are you gonna do, it's a comic book show about comic book characters doing comic book things. No complaints, as always Wentworth Miller alone is worth the time watching but everybody else was fun and likable. Brandon Routh looked so genuinely crestfallen when Hunter tells them all the truth, Victor Garber was great, Arthur Darvill was great, Caity Loitz was great :shrug:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I guess the thing that sticks out to me as something they did really well- aside from just making an episode fun and charming and move along at a brisk pace and all that- is they managed to do a pretty good job establishing unique motivations for everyone in 40 minutes. Captain Cold and Heat Wave want to be time burglars- sure, why not. Atom is worried he won't be remembered for anything. One half of firestorm is a science nerd and the other cares about camaraderie. Etc etc etc. For a show that is meant to be a campy action-adventure for everyone, I thank that's pretty impressive*. Most shows would have struggled to put 3 characters in the ensemble in focus for 1 episode. Yeah they got a nice head-start by introducing these characters and getting a feel for them in Arrow and Flash, but still it's impressive that they were able to get all of them re-introduced and clearly explained while still having a story to get the ball rolling in one episode.

*yeah Fargo and True Detective and shows like that pull it off, but I wouldn't have expected to put Legends of Tomorrow in the same sentence with shows like that ever.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
The revolver is also a webley which is a pretty iconic British revolver used from the 1880's through WW2. Its normally used by people in movies to express extreme Britishness.

Perhaps coincidentally, Jack Harkness carries one in Torchwood too.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

I enjoyed this quite a lot. It was corny but what are you gonna do, it's a comic book show about comic book characters doing comic book things. No complaints, as always Wentworth Miller alone is worth the time watching but everybody else was fun and likable. Brandon Routh looked so genuinely crestfallen when Hunter tells them all the truth, Victor Garber was great, Arthur Darvill was great, Caity Loitz was great :shrug:

Yeah I really liked this, it was so much like a comic book story that managed to pack in both character introductions and a beginner mission. Some great lines too like "I thought we were supposed to be a team". And Dominic Purcell shouting "I love the 70s" almost right into the camera during the bar fight was great.

One thing I can't figure out though - if Captain Cold just wants money why doesn't he license the technology used in his Freeze-O-Ray gun?! It could be worth tens of millions of dollars just from food & beverage industry applications. Maybe he simply likes being a big bad guy, which is fine by me.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 23, 2016

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

One thing I can't figure out though - if Captain Cold just wants money why doesn't he license the technology used in his Freeze-O-Ray gun?! It could be worth tens of millions of dollars just from food & beverage industry applications. Maybe he simply likes being a big bad guy, which is fine by me.

Half of Snart's character boils down to “Knows drat well he's a comic book villain and RELISHES it".

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Binary Logic posted:

He's flat-out explained as much to Barry in the past. He's never been in it for the money, though Money's also nice. He's all about the thrill of being a criminal, outsmarting the authorities, planning heists, getting into fights... it's what he lives for. That was when he was just a regular crook going up against plain ol' cops. Now his world is filled with super technology, homicidal pranksters, and an opponent with abilities that make him almost godlike. From his point of view, it's the world's best playground.

BreakAtmo posted:

Half of Snart's character boils down to “Knows drat well he's a comic book villain and RELISHES it".

Hell, he even relishes being a comic book villain when he's doing something objectively good.

Is it wrong that Snart is the person on the show I who I can sympathize with the most?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Snart enjoys The Game above all. Hence his willingness to make a "no killing" deal with Flash so they could just spar with eachother.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kesper North posted:

Snart enjoys The Game above all. Hence his willingness to make a "no killing" deal with Flash so they could just spar with eachother.

Yeah, and Barry also says something like, "No more killing - you're good enough to pull off your supervillain schemes without killing anyone, aren't you?" and he's all, "Of course I am. :smug:"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snart also didn't build the freeze gun, that was Cisco.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

He did take it apart and rebuild it right before he recruited Linc the Sink in season 1

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

muscles like this? posted:

True, though he has rebuilt it once or twice and claims to have developed a complete understanding of how it works.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

My favorite part of the episode was the reveal that Rory just got the most convenient people he could find and lied to them to make them feel special. It could only be better if it turned out they weren't the first group he'd given that spiel to and sent to their time-forgotten deaths.

Toxxupation posted:

if youre really into arthur darvill and specifically arthur darvill as rory williams on that other bad time-travelling sci-fi show how appealing is this show

How do you feel about Rory as The Doctor and a bunch of b-squad superheroes and villains as his companions?

Xelkelvos posted:

The Hawks are also the only pair that could have any sort of romantic relationship drama so they're on even more thin ice of being the worst of the team.

Especially because they have absolutely zero chemistry together or screen presence in general. Their suits also make them look like dime-store Wolverines in action.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 23, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I dont know posted:

I wonder if they are no longer showing them freezing people solid or setting them ablaze since they are now heroes, or at least not villains.

"You're a hero now, set that flamethrower to 'stun'."

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

raditts posted:

My favorite part of the episode was the reveal that Rory just got the most convenient people he could find and lied to them to make them feel special. It could only be better if it turned out they weren't the first group he'd given that spiel to and sent to their time-forgotten deaths.

In his desk, Hunter has a manila envelope that has "Contents of Space Wasp Stomachs" written on it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Bad Moon posted:

In his desk, Hunter has a manila envelope that has "Contents of Space Wasp Stomachs" written on it.

And inside the envelope is a Batarang, a Superman S, a Green Lantern ring, a bit of Wonder Woman's lasso, and whatever other superheroes CW can't use because of the embargo :getin:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bad Moon posted:

This is a well done reference.

I liked that they made the Egyptologist a son of the Hawks, that's something I didn't see coming to be quite honest

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

raditts posted:

That sounds like a pretty fun idea for a future arc, if the series makes it very far.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Just watching someone tell Hawkman that he's not important and never will be was worth it to me. The show seems like it'll be quirky in a good way. The pilot was janky, but I assume it'll get better. I hate that I called every plot point as they approached. I mean they hit every time travel cliche in the book. Even the ones Flash has already done lately!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

if youre really into arthur darvill and specifically arthur darvill as rory williams on that other bad time-travelling sci-fi show how appealing is this show

Dude this show so far is basically What If Rory Was The Doctor and the answer is he would be way better at it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Guy A. Person posted:

"You're a hero now, set that flamethrower to 'stun'."

Captain Cold gun in the comics is by default non lethal. The purpose of the gun was to put people into temporary suspended animation. The ice and the fact that it created Absolute Zero was just a side effect. If he froze someone in the comics it was completely harmless. However he could turn it lethal or damaging by uping the settings on the gun or breaking the frozen people. (Which he only did when someone really really pissed him off.)

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Soothing Vapors posted:

Dude this show so far is basically What If Rory Was The Doctor and the answer is he would be way better at it

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Somehow I feel the show is also a partial homage to the Forgotten Heroes, who were last best used in an arc of Resurrection Man. And the timeship's name WaveRider is a homage to the same character created in Armageddon 2001, a transformed Matt Ryder who gained the power to time travel at will.. glad to see they're respectful of the source material at least..

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
John Hurt was the War Doctor.

Arthur Darville is the Ror Doctor.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Robot Hobo posted:

He's flat-out explained as much to Barry in the past. He's never been in it for the money, though Money's also nice. He's all about the thrill of being a criminal, outsmarting the authorities, planning heists, getting into fights... it's what he lives for. That was when he was just a regular crook going up against plain ol' cops. Now his world is filled with super technology, homicidal pranksters, and an opponent with abilities that make him almost godlike. From his point of view, it's the world's best playground.

Hell, he even relishes being a comic book villain when he's doing something objectively good.

Is it wrong that Snart is the person on the show I who I can sympathize with the most?

"Heat Wave, my retarded brother, let's travel back in time to when CSI methodology didn't exist so that we can become master criminals since we are too loving stupid to actually be master criminals here in our current time. Oh also lets steal stuff from before it was famous so nobody's guarding it."

"duhhhh wanna cook dem RABBITS! Burn Fire Bunnies!"

"Hmm."

When Snart was giving his rousing speech to heatwave to convince him to go time travel, I felt like it was the complete opposite of what they've tried to build Snart up to being. I rolled my eyes. ROLLED MY EYES, Jerry!.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 24, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm kind of hoping that's just the lie he fed Mick to get him to come along to be honest, because it doesn't really gel well with his motivations of wanting to beat the system and pull off difficult heists and so on but it does line up well with Heatwave's motivations, since he just wants things as easy as possible. It makes more sense that Cold would want to pull heists off despite being surrounded by heroes and under the watch of a time lord than that he'd want to do them when things were simpler and offered less challenge.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

tsob posted:

I'm kind of hoping that's just the lie he fed Mick to get him to come along to be honest, because it doesn't really gel well with his motivations of wanting to beat the system and pull off difficult heists and so on but it does line up well with Heatwave's motivations, since he just wants things as easy as possible. It makes more sense that Cold would want to pull heists off despite being surrounded by heroes and under the watch of a time lord than that he'd want to do them when things were simpler and offered less challenge.

Would mesh well with them all being lied to in order to come along for the ride in the first place.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think Cold just wants to have a blast travelling time but he knows Mick is too grounded to go along with just doing that alone.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kesper North posted:

Arthur Darville is the Ror Doctor.

:vince:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Captain Cold gun in the comics is by default non lethal. The purpose of the gun was to put people into temporary suspended animation. The ice and the fact that it created Absolute Zero was just a side effect. If he froze someone in the comics it was completely harmless. However he could turn it lethal or damaging by uping the settings on the gun or breaking the frozen people. (Which he only did when someone really really pissed him off.)

You don't have to educate me about the flash pal :colbert:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

So Time Masters are discouraged from marriage or families because they don't need "entanglements," and when Rip's family died the Time Masters refused to help. So he's really Anakin Timewalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vorgen posted:

So Time Masters are discouraged from marriage or families because they don't need "entanglements," and when Rip's family died the Time Masters refused to help. So he's really Anakin Timewalker.

Turns out Vandal Savage just wanted to chill out(and kill hawk people every 10 years or so) but then this rear end in a top hat from the future started messing with his poo poo NON STOP. So of course he had to take over the world to prevent this from happening.

• Locked thread