Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

but that's not very compelling. The guy has been alive for 3000 years, and in all that time never managed world domination. He's just been taking wild swings at it and never succeeded.

I mean, gently caress, if 2,000 years in he'd just decide to go with prudent long term investment instead of mega murder, he'd own the world by now

How would he dominate the world? He'd need to step into some sort of leadership position (king, CEO, etc.), which he can't do because sooner or later people would realize that he's not dying, much less getting any older. Once that happened, it'd be a matter of time before the world united against him. He may be immortal but that doesn't make him invincible or omnipotent. His entire plan is a very long con and it depends on him not being under the spotlight.

Besides, it's not like the dude is in a hurry. Being several thousand years old has probably made him the most patient person alive. That's why he has been biding his time and having fun with side projects like the meteorite experiments. In the long run though, he's waiting for an opportunity to significantly weaken humanity, which he's finally able to do with the Armageddon virus. From there, he can conquer the remainders without worrying about any resistance or counter-attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

No, it's not. There's no long con involved at all. The birdpeople monsters, selling or buying the nuke, none of that had anything to do with his eventual rise to power. He just keeps randomly trying poo poo and failing completely on his own. He's a perpetual gently caress up who kept loving up for thousands of years, until he got lucky at the Degaton tutoring gig.

I think you should watch the first episode again where Rip clearly explains how Vandal works.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

They should convert this show to improv. Give the actors a setting (e.g. 1500s England) and let them loose. See what comes out.

(Would probably be better than what we have now.)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

edit: whoops

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Curtis is an engineer sorry :colbert:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I do appreciate the subtle showing of Sara drinking Rory under the table

yeah lol, that was really good

anyway, i enjoyed this episode

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ither posted:

So I guess the team's not holding back anymore. They straight up killed the Hunters.

I was shocked when Boy Scout Ray just ploughed through one.

It was actually remarkable how easily they defeated them, considering even Mick suggested running away at the end of the previous episode when they asked him what they should do.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

The complaints I had about them just beating Savage into submission and leaving him on the floor for no reason and running away were multiplied by this episode.

The Pilgrim kept getting comically swatted away.

Ray shoots her. They all run away.
Someone kicks her. They all run away.
Rip shoots her, they all run away.

It was getting more and more absurd each time. Why shoot her and then just run away completely? You had her like 3-4 different times but it just kept jump cutting straight to the ship about how they are having trouble finding her this time. It was like Team Rocket from Pokemon or something except now they come right back over and over.

Running away is reasonable when facing an adversary with unknown capabilities. Even if you manage to knock them down, you have no idea how long they will be incapacitated.

We saw what happened when Firestorm decided to go in for the rescue at Ray's lab: he got roflpwned. And then every other time they fought her, it was only a few of them vs. her. Waiting until the whole team was assembled before facing her was the smart thing to do.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anyway, what's super amusing about this whole thing is that everyone was super excited for this show when it was announced, even though it was obvious that it was gonna suck big time. Now that it is sucking big time, a lot of people sound... disappointed.

My only gripe is that they ripped (heh) some of the good characters from other shows and brought them together in this lovely show. Snart was a great Flash villain, and Sarah was pretty fun in Arrow.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

nooneofconsequence posted:

I thought the same thing but then Arrow started murdering people and I thought it was cool he wasn't a bitch like Batman.

Then he stopped killing people and the show got worse.

This, pretty much. The pussification of Arrow (both in the sense that he stopped killing, and in the sense that he started dating Felicity) is what ruined the show.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hawkgirl has been pretty awful lately with all the relationship drama. Carter this, Carter that, jesus loving christ shut up already.

I hope they dump her next season, assuming there will be one.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Because you gotta give the ladies something, and what do ladies love? Weddings! - how TV writers think.

weddings. and babies.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It seemed bizarrely out of character for Snart to walk among the refuges with Miss Savage and explain to her how much they're suffering. He seems like he'd be the last person to care.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ApeHawk posted:

This episode was actually pretty good until Carter showed up. Then it all came apart.

Yeah, the giant robot part was all kinds of goofy fun. The CGI wasn't amazing but considering the budget I think that's acceptable.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Martout posted:

Who gives a poo poo about Carter, just kill Savage and be done with it! The mindlocked Carter isn't going to live for many many lifetimes from her point of view and if they kill Savage the cycle would be broken anyway so it wouldn't matter?

I wanted to like this show but now I just kind of watch to see how dumb the ending is :(

The worst part is about to begin. I can see it now: they'll kidnap Carter and try to "turn" him, which will involve Kendra trying to help him remember their past lives together, while Ray sulks in a corner. :barf:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I like Stein. He plays the nerdy old man very well, and I like that he's really naive in some ways but also has a strong moral compass (despite having brought Jax on the trip against his will, which I blame on the terrible writers).

Jax is cool too. He had a rocky start but recovered rather quickly.

Snart and Rory are obviously awesome.

Sarah is cool, but I feel like her character is written wrong. She used to be one of the top assassins in LoA. I dislike the way the writers in this show are giving her the role of Kendra's confidante in girly matters, and the way the two of them lost their minds over that baby at the hospital was very :barf:

Rip is an unmitigated disaster, and I think he and Carter are one of the primary reasons the show is so weak.

Ray is likable, but both he and Kendra are being dragged down by the horrendous and creepy romance plot that's unfortunately central to the story.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

raditts posted:

What is it with all these shows and vanishing into a shithole of lame boring relationship drama anyway? Arrow did it and it loving sucked, Flash did it and it loving sucked, LOT is doing it and it loving sucks. When will they learn?

It's the network. They're simply pandering to their primary audience, which primarily consists of teenagers and young adults.

It's not that relationship drama is always boring and dumb. CW's writers are just really bad at writing it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The same people do not write every CW show.

Why does it matter? They're all equally retarded. At least the ones writing the DC shows.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Uh, that was baby Snart, so it was totally understandable.

Hmm, was it?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The only good thing about Savage is that Hawkgirl and Hawkman literally trigger him when they come close. It makes me giggle every time.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

On the plus side, Sara learning how to pilot the ship gets us closer to a Time Lesbian spinoff.

She became Captain Lance. :colbert:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Also, god drat, we have two more episodes of this crap?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

If Rip had studied Time Master history instead of League of Assassins history, he'd clearly know that Vandal Savage was a necessary component in the creation of time travel and the founding of the Time Masters. :pseudo:

I can see it now: Vandal conquered the world, then realized that the only threat to his rule was someone messing with the timeline, so he founded the Time Masters to enforce no one would do it. Except Rip went back in time to Ancient Egypt and tried to kill Savage, who figured out that time travel is possible, and then four thousand years later conquered the world and founded the Time Masters...

:downs:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I could forgive this show if every single episode didn't ultimately revolve around awkward and creepy romance scenes.

I mean, our heroes are acting in stupid ways, fine, whatever. But the whole Kendra/Carter/Ray triangle (plus Savage!) is just :barf:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Why do you keep watching this show if you hate it so much? I mean, not trying to white knight here, but it seems like your life would be a lot happier if you like got a dog and went to a park to play with it instead. :ohdear:

Hate-watching is a TVIV tradition, haven't you heard? Try to keep up.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

The show is stupid fun. Ascribing or expecting any value to it higher than that is a mistake.

yeah, it was soooo fun watching Kendra reading a love poem to chained up Carter :rolleyes:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

i'm in still but i'm not really enjoying it.

what he said

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm sucking that it enjoys.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's cool that you're so focused on your partner, but isn't "it" a little dehumanizing?

It's focused that you're so cool on your partner but isn't dehumanizing "it" a little?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

greatn posted:

Maybe the thanagarians only invaded cause they were pissed Vandal savage kept killing their reincarnated royalty and sucking out their essence over and over.

:lol:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Dude, you're reaching enraged_camel levels of self-hatred for watching this show. Maybe you should take a break from it for your own sanity's sake, you're already mod of TVIV and that can't be a healthy place to start from :ohdear:

Nice meltdown.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So what did they actually accomplish?

Sometimes quests are worth doing just to level up, even if you fail the quest itself.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

The Hawk people couldn't kill Savage permanently because only an item from the room they were in when the magic happened could do that? But over thousands of years and hundred of lifetimes, it never occurred to them to just, like, throw Savage's body in some concrete. Or down a well. Or chain him to an anvil and toss him in the ocean.

The mechanism behind his resurrection is unclear, which means anything is possible. So for all we know, his dead body might be dematerializing and then rematerializing in a random location on Earth.

He is immortal, but can clearly die. He just comes back to life somehow. So even if they lock him up in an underground jail and throw away the key, he'd just die and resurrect elsewhere. Same with all the other methods mentioned, including throwing him into a volcano or the Sun.

In other words, you're thinking about it way too much. It's comic book logic... the type you're supposed to turn off your brain while consuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I haven't watched any of the episodes. How's this season so far?

• Locked thread