Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Not a bad pilot. Enough to keep me watching. I think I liked mostly what other people liked.

I can't help but reiterate: Hawkman is very, very creepy. I kept looking to see if that apartment of theirs had two beds or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

lotus circle posted:

The creators keep hinting at the possibility that someone on the cast is going to die, in an obnoxious "well not ALL of them might make it" way. If it has to be anyone I hope it's Hawkman.

(spoiler tagged only so no one throws a fit about something that's not even really confirmed yet.)

Yes, please be Hawkman.

It could actually be somewhat interesting storywise, what with Hawkgirl going "We always died together. What happens now?"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Professor Wayne posted:

You know, I think I would conk out a kid for a chance to time travel.

This is why I like Stein and not Hawkman. Stein is definitely an rear end in a top hat and the show treats him as such.

tsob posted:

I think I might be alone in not being bothered about that scene. It appears to have been meant to establish that they're both physical people who like to fight and have confidence in their skill at it, Hawk-girl as well as Hawk-man. She agreed to it and obviously favored her chances to say she did so. We don't see Hawkman grab her from behind when she wasn't expecting it and then beating her senseless or anything. It was a mutual thing, and I'm fine with that. I found the actual footage of the two of them flying at each other worse, just because it was so awkward looking.

On the whole though, I was far more bothered by the idea that a metahuman like Firestorm, who in the context of this show has to be the second most powerful metahuman on Earth at this time, if not the most powerful could somehow be so worthless a hero that he's barely remembered historically. I think Ray being that unimportant is somewhat stretching things too given not just his powers, but his intellect, money, charisma and drive. I cannot see him just remaining an unknown hero in that setting with all that going for him unless he dies again sometime in the next few weeks without Rip coming to collect him. The rest I can see all remaining unknown and unimportant, because for various reasons all of them have a desire to hide themselves away from the spotlight. Heatwave and Captain Cold are just small time crooks at the end of the day, Sarah just wants to deal with her own poo poo, not be a hero and the Hawks are looking to hide from Savage and have been for a long time. Firestorm and Atom though? Just not buying it.

Oh, and Savage is a severely underwhelming villain and I don't really see that changing, so I hope Chronos gets more screentime and personality to beef up the show's villain roster or something.

I felt that Ray ended up becoming unimportant because his biggest achievements were behind him. He was a bigtime inventor/industrialist, but set it aside to become a hero--and ultimately ended up doing nothing of note after he came back. At least, nothing significant enough to disrupt the timeline much. Same with Firestorm. It's entirely possible that they were going to become lost in the crowd as more heroes emerge.

And hell, we don't know how Gideon figures out who is relevant to the timeline. Might be "Someone else could have done X, also had opportunity, would achieve essentially the same result."

• Locked thread