Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ZDar Fan posted:

It was weak in the way that pilots are, but I'm hoping that Darvill, Routh, Miller and Garber are enough to keep me watching. Frankly, just about any show could benefit from Wentworth Miller just hanging around and making snide remarks an smart-rear end comments. The biggest problem is that they do a lot of telling instead of showing how powerful and evil the villain is. "Macho Man" Vandal Savage isn't very compelling or intimidating so far.

Vandal Savage hit Barry with THROWING KNIVES. He's loving hardcore. I'm trying to hide my sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Robot Hobo posted:

He's flat-out explained as much to Barry in the past. He's never been in it for the money, though Money's also nice. He's all about the thrill of being a criminal, outsmarting the authorities, planning heists, getting into fights... it's what he lives for. That was when he was just a regular crook going up against plain ol' cops. Now his world is filled with super technology, homicidal pranksters, and an opponent with abilities that make him almost godlike. From his point of view, it's the world's best playground.

Hell, he even relishes being a comic book villain when he's doing something objectively good.

Is it wrong that Snart is the person on the show I who I can sympathize with the most?

"Heat Wave, my retarded brother, let's travel back in time to when CSI methodology didn't exist so that we can become master criminals since we are too loving stupid to actually be master criminals here in our current time. Oh also lets steal stuff from before it was famous so nobody's guarding it."

"duhhhh wanna cook dem RABBITS! Burn Fire Bunnies!"

"Hmm."

When Snart was giving his rousing speech to heatwave to convince him to go time travel, I felt like it was the complete opposite of what they've tried to build Snart up to being. I rolled my eyes. ROLLED MY EYES, Jerry!.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 24, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
No dudes. Those are action poses. Those characters are dynamic and physical and fluid. Tips of their toes 'cause they're always on the move. Also, titties.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xelkelvos posted:

If either of them were really clever, they'd prepare trusts or caches or something for themselves when they revive, all across the world since they're quasi-immortal. That way they too could build up an arsenal when they inevitably come up against Savage and don't have to start from essentially zero in terms of everything but fighting ability.

it's less about them being clever and more about the quality of writers in the multishow stable.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

lotus circle posted:

If the Time Masters don't have an issue with an immortal dictator conquering Earth, then I guess they wouldn't have an issue with some rear end in a top hat with speed powers rewriting time and causing a singularity.

Honestly I question how much Rip would care if his wife and son weren't directly murdered by Savage.

Not one bit considering he didn't care by all the war and terror that led up to that point.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm betting there was no penetration or or any sort of sexual violation. He's not a date rapist. He's a kidnapper. Given how fast acting those drugs were and what they did they weren't roofies.

You tumblr people...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Whizbang posted:

No, Stein has definitely been inside him.
Haha.

It's only due to the kid's natural athleticism that he could fit in there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tsob posted:

I'm assuming with the crossover's mention that he's always the first to realize his nature and always finds her combined with the fact she took so long a while to come around to him and survived his death for once will mean that yea, they'll play up the reverse angle they've had so far and that Kendra will be the creepy one on about destiny and trying to make him remember everything. Which is actually kind of interesting in that it'll at least give them each more range to reach for.

I don't remember this being true at all.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I like the people trying to explain how dangerous or whatever the villain dude is, like :lol:
"No, but umm...Actually, you see let me tell you my headcanon about why he's so dangerous...:agesilaus:"

It's approaching fanfiction, because nothing in the show or the crossovers have been anything but poo poo on his end. They try to make him 'EVIL" or whatever, but he kills his chief scientist because he's 'EVIL' and a 'MASTERMIND' like what a shitheap boring character. The old dude half of Firestorm makes an infinitely more interesting villain in his 4 seconds of bluffing the bouncer at the black market than whatever they have written for Vandal Savage.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

muscles like this? posted:

To be fair, it's kind of hard to actually demonstrate immortality. Watch as he NOT AGES.

They've demonstrated his immortality. It's a passive thing, and they showed it through flashbacks/flashforwards. No biggie. What they haven't done is demonstrate why he's a good and interesting character. The entire extended Hawkfamily is pointless.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Binary Logic posted:

"In 2166, an immortal tyrant named Vandal Savage conquered the world."

This isn't fanfiction, it's the first line spoken in episode 1 part 2.

and the team's biggest fault is that they're trying to use their comic book superpowers against Savage directly. What they should really do is knock out all his support first - destroy (or steal) his financial network, infiltrate and overrun or turn his 'army', etc.

Well thank god they took the time to tell me that because he certainly isn't written well enough to understand any of that based upon his displayed actions or behavior.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kesper North posted:

As Binary Logic points out, it's a deliberate homage to how big action scenes tend to look in comics.

Deliberate homage, or working within a budget?

I'd say it's 15% the former, 85% the latter.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You spelled Snart wrong. And you used two names? It's just Snart.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

It's okay to hate the show, but making up references is really loving strange. They were not referencing Archer. :psydyck:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Burning_Monk posted:

I don't know. Ray and Rory seem to be developing some serious guy love.

Mick looking at the flames while Ray was getting his rear end beat was pure subtext.

Oh Ray, you poor innocent man. THere's gonna be a lot of 'funny hugs' in your future.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jack of Hearts posted:

It's too bad Flash has so little to do with this show, the Russian lady was exactly the right levels of hot, crazy, and Soviet to be turned into Lady Flash.

Yeah, let's just get a whiny little mope-bitch superhero-retard stuck on the show. loving Barry.

Snart and cameo appearances from Cisco are the only Flash parts this show needs. Mick's cool-ish, but Snart's the only thing we NEED.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TyrantWD posted:

, but for the cost they could probably pick up another single titular hero show that would almost certainly deliver better ratings.

The Snart Files.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ShakeZula posted:

I'm familiar with the phenomenon, I just think it's a little bit of a overstatement on this case. We don't obviously have game tape to determine whether his success was due to athleticism or masterful pre-snap reads and adjustments, so I'm inclined to take the show's word for it.

The delivery of that line and the preceding writing was so goddamn bad that I think people made fun of that originally, and the closet racism thing just built from there as a natural extension.

A lot of the line delivery/dialog is REALLY terrible, you can't deny.

Remember too, that this kid has a really bad knee. His body's kinda hosed up. Any 'natural athleticism' is rendered useless. The line was just purely questionable to begin with.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ShakeZula posted:

Oh absolutely. The show is still great though.

To my annoyance, it's still fun to watch, yeah. Like, if it were ALL bad I could shut it off and forget abotu it. But there are just a few really neat parts per episode that make me hatewatch the remainder just to be sure I got all the good parts.

At least with Arrow I could stop giving a poo poo. This has Snart, Ray, and Canary, though. :/ I don't even know the black half of Firestorm's name and I think he's a horrible actor. Legit bad.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You guys talking abotu them switching the roster seem to be forgetting all the weird lovely episodes between Flarrow trying to introduce those characters. One of the reasons Legends To Tomorrow is so okay is that you aren't having a lot of wasteful setups and intros.

And there's no way the CW crop of writers know how to write concise the way Netflix managed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

boom boom boom posted:

A dude shows up, shoots some dudes, Sara says, "who's this guy?" Rip says, "A man who loves peace so much, he is willing to fight for it!"

boom, done.

Hahaha. I love it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

XboxPants posted:

Well, I suppose they don't have to replace the entire cast every season. And they're constantly introducing new heroes in these shows. Coming up just within the next few weeks between the various series, we have Vixen, Jonah Hex, and Red Tornado. They've been working on Mr Terrific for a while and can pull that trigger at any time. Wildcat's still alive. They could give Jesse Quick some Velocity-9. If they've decided Suicide Squad characters are allowable, that's a bunch right there. And that's just hero characters. If a crazy flamer like Heat Wave can be included, then I think Slade or Anarky or Peek-a-Boo could get in too.

Let's just see how they actually pull these off before you start defending them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Narcissus1916 posted:

We have the power to travel through time! So let's spend half the season going to europe in the 70s and... the USSR in the 80s.

Yeah, that's totally what we wanted. Here's hoping next week isn't a total cock-up.

I mean, c'mon. NOBODY expected this show to be impressive in the time travel / visual production department. That's just the basic poorly written plot conceit.

HOnestly, they could just as easily be chasing a baddie across the world in one time (and failing horribly) instead, but time travel makes it sound more comic-booky.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
There's zero weight behind that kick. That's a bad stunt kick. THat's more like a half-assed version of one of Michael Jackson's Moonwalk kicks than anything else.

That whole sequence is kinda lame, tbh. :mad:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bad Moon posted:

It looks like blocking, where you wouldn't go full force.

Ah yes, the onruken chicken leg, that dastardly and devious low block that requires you to flail your leg forward gently as though pushing a refrigerator door closed.

Truly, a master's technique.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Neil Patrick Harris could totally work on the Flash because he's one of the most famous jays around.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

Wrong thread but bravo.

Don't worry, you can't get the jay just by being exposed to it. Being jay's not contagious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

Yeah. We have no sense at all as to the shape or direction of his plans. If he's manipulating events to further his goals, he's doing it in a way that is invisible to the audience. As far as we can tell, he may as well be doing nothing. He's got loyal followers, but what do they do? He defected to the Soviet Union, but why? What did that get him?

Think of it as less 'what does it get him' and more 'what the idiot writers think the audience correlates with bad and evil things'. Stay tuned next week for when the gang travels back-forwards in time to the new North Korea! Oh poo poo! Vandal's been spotted being a pirate captain off the northern coast of Somalia! WHAT? He's dating Margaret Thatcher? I'm absolutely gobsmacked. Tally-ho, old beans and birds, let's van winkle the ol' chummershag and collyswag the bol-taggert!

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 29, 2016

• Locked thread