Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This was definitely the most fun the Arrowverse has been this season. The fact that this is a reduced episode count anthology series has me even more optimistic going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

lotus circle posted:

Also hoping the show's direction means less CW drama bullshit will come into play because it'll be more action based.

We should get minimal CW drama with this being an anthology that's already jam packed with characters, but even Daredevil couldn't maintain its form all the way through, so I wouldn't expect any better of this show.

I'm guessing this show will be CW testing the waters to figure out where their comic book audience lies. At first the universe was going to be grounded and realistic, then Flash showed that superpowers/magic were not only acceptable, but even more in demand to the low-budget Nolan-esque Arrow. Now we have a show where, outside of the Hawks, we should get no poorly executed relationship drama. If audiences respond well to this, changes will likely filter down to Arrow and Flash - if not, and it turns out that Tumblrina shippers are the ones delivering CWs good ratings, expect that they will continue to pander to them going forward.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I'm guessing Hawkman and Ray will die, and Jackson will get left behind in time.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Its threatening, I guess, but not when you're up against Firestorm, Atom, and the rest of the team. A guy with throwing knives is simply not credible as dangerous to an entire team of superheroes.

I had the same feeling last episode - ok, I guess this Chronos guy is dangerous to Jackson by himself, but then the rest of the squad came and knocked him on his rear end with fireballs...and then they ran away?? Its a half-dozen superheroes against one guy, they could have easily tied him up and took him for questioning, but I guess body armor and a spacerifle are too much for them to handle? If I'm going to get invested in this show, they have to raise the stakes a bit or its just the adventures of the most cowardly and inept superteam ever.

Our superhero team aren't all the strong, and I'm guessing that while they may temporarily subdue Chronos, a bounty hunter with the ability to track people through time probably has a lot more tricks up their sleeves.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Kesper North posted:

A Flash crossover is virtually certain, I think, since they're very much on a time travel arc right now.

That seemed to be the case when Supergirls' ratings were in free fall, but it has stabilized at a level that makes it the highest rated comicbook show on TV this season. I can see CBS holding holding off until the show really needs a rating bump.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Where on earth did Vandal Savage find a multiracial group of South African mercenaries in 1975? And how did they have no accent?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Rip is on a mission to avenge his recently killed wife and child. It would be a little soon for him to jump back into a romance plot. With only 8 episodes left for the show, I don't think we will see any romance within the team.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Krad posted:

This is definitely my favorite Arrowverse show right now. Now, if they could only make the main bad guy not job so hard every episode... hopefully they'll get someone more threatening next season.

I'm a little skeptical about whether we will get another season. Given that it's an expensive show set in the Arrowverse, it is something of a flop in the ratings. The pilot premiered at a figure that would be an all time series low for the Flash, so it seems the viewers were never too interested in the concept to begin with. The show dipped below Arrow now, which just involves the cast spending 80% of the episode sitting around the same 3 sets and chatting. LoT may still be the 3rd highest rated show for the CW, but for the cost they could probably pick up another single titular hero show that would almost certainly deliver better ratings.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

howe_sam posted:

It's average is right around a 1 in the key demo, which is tied with Arrow for second on the CW. So the ratings are good enough to warrant a renewal.

e: which is all stuff already said. Still, I don't think a "singular" cape show would be appreciably cheaper, and I don't think that will enter into the renew/cancel decision.

It dipped below Arrow to 0.8 this week. I'd expect any other DC show they attempt to do better than that.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Well, I suppose they don't have to replace the entire cast every season. And they're constantly introducing new heroes in these shows. Coming up just within the next few weeks between the various series, we have Vixen, Jonah Hex, and Red Tornado. They've been working on Mr Terrific for a while and can pull that trigger at any time. Wildcat's still alive. They could give Jesse Quick some Velocity-9. If they've decided Suicide Squad characters are allowable, that's a bunch right there. And that's just hero characters. If a crazy flamer like Heat Wave can be included, then I think Slade or Anarky or Peek-a-Boo could get in too.

The audience wasn't too interested in the current team made up of some of the more popular side characters, so scraping the bottom of the barrel of the CWverse is not the way to go. This anthology team series is a flawed concept, and building a more static team that carries over each season is probably too expensive for the CW (you are going to need a lot more of those big shots of the entire team fighting at once).

I think you can find a happy medium of having a single hero roaming around the world to fight villains, and pairing up with random heroes they find along the way. That way you can keep the leaner story focus of LoT, but at a manageable budget, and without the need to establish 5 new heroes at once, or bog down Arrow and Flash with setting up characters for another show.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Remember in the last episode when Rip shot a guy point-blank with his little laser pistol, and it not only didn't kill him, it just knocked him down and he immediately got back up and shot Rip?

In fact, we haven't seen a gun actually kill somebody in a long time. They've all been set to knock-down mode.

Only Barry is allowed to kill people now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
You get the sense that this season was a bit of a mess because the writers weren't quite sure about what they were going to do - they just knew they wanted to do something with Snart, Sara, Ray and Stein when they couldn't be squeezed into Flash/Arrow.

Dumping Savage and the Hawks, while introducing JSA and aliens is a huge step in the right direction, and I'm expecting LoT will be the best of the CW superhero shows next season (not a particularly high bar I admit).

• Locked thread