Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Chokes McGee posted:

Imagine him in David Tenant's role only he gets a laser revolver and superhero crew

He even has a similar coat. Actually, now that I think of it, it's nearly a perfect cross of Tennant's Doctor's coat... and Captain Jack Harkness's coat. :barrowman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The Lord Bude posted:

Because it's fashionable in his time period to make stuff look retro?

To set Malcolm Merlyn up for a Jack Harkness joke re: coat and revolver?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Snart enjoys The Game above all. Hence his willingness to make a "no killing" deal with Flash so they could just spar with eachother.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
John Hurt was the War Doctor.

Arthur Darville is the Ror Doctor.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Whizbang posted:

So is the thread title ever going to get fixed?

Never do today what you can put off... to Tomorrow.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

WarLocke posted:

Did anyone else have a double-take moment when the AI was revealed to be Gideon? Is it supposed to be THE Gideon? That Flash made, and Eobarde Thawne stole and carried around?

I think the going theory is that Gideon is just the future equivalent of Siri, but we'll see. Surprised Professor Stein didn't comment on it, though, as wasn't he present for Barry's discovery of Eobard's secret Future Room at Star Labs?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

lotus circle posted:

He left after episode 14 with Ronnie and didn't come back until the finale. They obviously told him about Thawne but only Barry, Cisco and Caitlin know about Gideon.

Ahh, thanks.

Well, either it's just a "Siri" thing, or it's setting up the first Flash crossover, which... probably the latter, actually.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

I dont know posted:

Flash seems more likely given Arrowverse and Supergirl are at not set in the same dimension. Still possible though.

A Flash crossover is virtually certain, I think, since they're very much on a time travel arc right now.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I may have emitted a high-pitched giggle and punched the air and said "Oh thank GOD" when Carter died. Thank you, show, for giving that plotline the finger it deserved.

I'll forgive the Jefferson and Stein stuff completely as character development they didn't get a chance to pay off in the pilot, though I still feel it's a little sketchy character development for 2016.

With the ~problematic~ stuff out of the way...

Holy gently caress is this fun. I love the big glitzy shooty wide-angle comic-panel action scenes. I love the Malcontents rogueing it up in the past, embarrassing one another with their younger moments and trying not to admit to smoking a ton of pot. I love that superheroes on TV in 2016 smoked weed together. It's legal in my state and you're damned right I joined them. I love the bald bluffs and even the dumb cartoony villain for being cartoony. This is fun and funny and goofy and proud of it, and it's just what we need right now.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Chokes McGee posted:

It's actually her bo staff but it splits into batons for maximum bad guy bonking.

Also useful for bad girl boinking.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
On further reflection, this show at its best reminds me a little of Warren Ellis's NEXTWAVE. It has that "Give them what they want, Mark Millar licks goats" flavor.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm pretty sure as soon as it became legal in two states and the world ended in neither (and a bunch of people got rich, including the states collecting taxes), legalization became pretty much inevitable. I give it ten years max before it's legalized in most states, possibly nationwide. And yeah, it's this sort of portrayal that'll help demistify it a bit.

I bet the creators of the Comics Code are spinning in their moldering graves though :v:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Bad Moon posted:

In some states, it's making TOO much money. They literally have so much that the laws won't allow them to keep the overflow and they have to put it to a vote to the state to decide what they want it to go to or just cut everyone in the state a check.

:420:

#seattleproblems :hawksin:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Also he learns every time you encounter him. They really did the dumbest thing they could possibly do, showing him all their capabilities in a nice wide shot like that.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Better than the current guy's "dude who takes LARPing Vampire the Masquerade too seriously" look.

I'd give a lot to see him have a winner-takes-all game of rock paper scissors with the team :v:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The episode summary for this week says:

“Rip (Arthur Darvill) decides to weaken Vandal Savage (Casper Crump) by going after his financial assets. Rip and Sara (Caity Lotz) infiltrate Savage’s bank, but are discovered by his men. Meanwhile, Snart (Wentworth Miller) and Rory (Dominic Purcell) talk Jax (Franz Drameh) into taking the jump ship back to Central City so they can steal a valuable emerald. Professor Stein (Victor Garber) guides Ray (Brandon Routh) on a dangerous mission.”

So it sounds like they're going after Savage at least somewhat intelligently this time.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Xoidanor posted:

Am I the only one that finds the un-focused action scenes incredibly dull? It's literally just the actors running around waving their props. It's like the direction was: "Just do whatever, we'll fix it in post". :psyduck:

As Binary Logic points out, it's a deliberate homage to how big action scenes tend to look in comics.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This show goes from cringeworthy to amazing and back in seconds. It's giving me whiplash.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I have a twinge of cognitive dissonance every time someone calls Heatwave by his given name on a show that stars Arthur Darville.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

WarLocke posted:

I am so incredibly hyped for Arrow Beyond next week. :woop:

How old is Wentworth Miller? There's a lot of white in his hair, and he doesn't look that old...

Happens to some people. I'm 36 and almost as grey as Miller is. Runs in the family.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
They should have Rip punch Hitler, then Arthur Darville will be 2 for 2 on fascist dictator punching across genre shows.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

King of Solomon posted:

I'm really disappointed that Ollie didn't fire arrows with his mouth. That would have been so good.

It was still great, but it could have been so much better.

Protip: the force required to pull a tooth is a lot less than the force required to draw those bows.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Wheat Loaf posted:

It would be better if Savage had more of an active plan he was clearly working towards that the team needed to stop.

I dunno, he doesn't really have much reason to have one at the moment. So far they've just been a band of incompetent fools who show up at random to inconvenience and irritate him, like the time-travelling equivalent of the Showtime kids on the New York subway.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Wow. That looks pretty loving fun.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bring back old gbs posted:

Has that Wentworth Miller facebook post been linked here yet? Real or no?
http://imgur.com/gallery/5A0Xf
:smith:

Wow. This guy is now my hero. I've very very much been there.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I think this show is fun and silly, and generally more fun than The Flash, and considerably more fun than Arrow, which I have pretty much given up on at this point.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The writing on this show is tremendously uneven, but to me it's worth it for the good bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I enjoyed the hell out of the episode, but I'm also very bummed that we're losing Snart even if he is going to be a guest star.

I can see why Wentworth Miller wouldn't want to be locked into the role, but drat, am I going to miss his sarcasm.

• Locked thread