Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The drugged business was odd, and made both characters less likable.

But the larger issue is that I could still not give a flying gently caress about the Hawkpeople drama. The guy playing Hawkman is wooden and dull and I'm hoping he's killed off early.

The guy playing Savage is also deeply unimpressive.

But hey, we've got Brandon Routh and the crooks and Caity Lotz (with improved action!) to keep us going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think the writers expected Hunter's big "my family were killed" to be the big emotional moment, whereas I found Routh's "no one will remember me" reflection far more affecting.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think the writers mentioned that they wrote the pilot for Legends, and then CW had the idea of turning Arrow/The Flash's crossover into a prologue for Legends.

Hence why some lines in the pilot just awkwardly allude to the crossover instead of fully embracing what happened in it.

Really, really hoping they can shake off the pilot jitters.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My favorite part was when Hawkman said "i'm going to beat the poo poo out of you so you'll agree to my demands". Yeah, that's a surefire way to make me like your character.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That was much, much stronger. Still not sure any of the individual pieces are bouncing off of each other effectively and the cast hasn't gelled yet. But I was entertained and creepy dude got shanked. Savage is still hilariously weak as a central villain with the screen presence of a frightened mouse.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Also The Flash spent an entire season wondering if Barry should rescue his Mom only for last week's episode to call it a Fixed Point In Time.

Time Travel rules are bullshitty bullshit and one step removed from fanwank theories. Just pray the character work holds up.

Right now I'm seeing this show as a necessary way to give me more Caity Lotz Being Awesome.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

They could show Vandal Savage ordering Hitler around and it still wouldn't make him a credible threat.

The actor is just miscast entirely.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Man alive is the guy playing Savage miscast. I can't even blame him, he's just totally wrong for the part.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

We have the power to travel through time! So let's spend half the season going to europe in the 70s and... the USSR in the 80s.

Yeah, that's totally what we wanted. Here's hoping next week isn't a total cock-up.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Also, Ray Palmer is totally gonna die in the finale.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

How the hell did Ray end up in the cargo bay? We see him floating in space and then he's just... there? Sloppy editing. Again.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The fight scene against the pirates was honestly fantastic.

Captain Cold and Sara's heart to heart allowed both actor's some needed space to emote.

But lord allmighty, all the Rip Hunter stuff remains awful. Its like deleted scenes from some poo poo 70s space show. Referencing Star Wars and Trek just reminds me how derivative and schlocky Rip's material is.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Rip is supposed to come off as Stressed Captain Who Makes Tough Choices, but the show has no awareness that he's completely incompetent.

And for the record, the whole Mick turning on the team thing riffed (quite succesfully) on the many betrayals of Jayne Cobb.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Finally caught up, I previously left before Season 1's Wild West installment.

Holy poo poo is this season fun. I knew the show would improve my removing Savage and the hawks, but I underestimated just how big of an improvement.

And Barrowman, Neal, and Lescher all bouncing off each other? More plz.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its especially fun given how awful the Arrow writers' obsession with Merlyn became. Shooing him off to Legends is a win-win for everyone involved.

But I bailed on The Flash early last year... how the hell is Eobard still hanging around? Did they retcon it so Eddie's death meant nothing?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I know someone said this is all Flashpoint related (like everything else in this goddamn universe), but is this the same Thawne who just randomly showed up midway in season 2 of The Flash?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

One of the more subtle changes is how they justify our heroes galloping through history like idiots.

In the first season THEY MUST ABSOLUTELY NOT CHANGE THE TIMELINE.

This year, their enemies are the ones cocking up the timestream, and the Legends are just trying to lessen the damage. So Sara might reveal freakin' zombies to General Grant during the Civil War, but the alternative was a massive zombie outbreak that would have led to a confederate victory.

Its a small change, but it matters so much.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm getting up on The Flash right now, and season 2's quality is really all over the place.

Anyway, the Black Lightning script is bouncing around Hollywood at the moment. Snagged a copy and it is...

a very mediocre riff on Luke Cage.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If you haven't seen it, HBO's John Adams does a really great job of depicting the era. It also includes Benjamin Franklin banging every woman in France. A+

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm pretty sure half the reason Arrow's been great this year is the lack of Malcolm. It made no narrative sense that Oliver (and then Thea) didn't just kill the bastard twenty times from Sunday.

But he's been great on Legends, largely due to the nice character work they've given him. Plus he gets to chew so much scenery.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Caught up on season 2.

I like that the one consistent rule in the Arrowverse is that League assassins can either be the world's greatest fighters or chumped by a dude with an aggressive left hook.

Agreed with basically everyone else that this season was so much fun, even if the plot shenanigans kinda fell apart.

Laughed my head off at Thawne calling an army of speedsters to his call... only for them to lazily knock out the Legends as Sarah slowly uses the spear.

I do think we're due for a new cast member or two. No idea how they'll handle it, I like Victor Garber too much to lose his presence.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Ray and Kendra romance was loving atrocious.

One of the best recurring jokes in season 2 was Ray just enjoying the everloving poo poo out of time travel. Like him abandoning the team and mission to go play Knights of the Roundtable is Class A Stupid, but who cares when the show has this much fun?

Nate and Amaya's relationship hits on roughly the same themes but much more effectively. Hell, I teared up at the Apollo 70s episode.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oh My God. This whole team is basically Booster Gold'ing their way through history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Given the Arrowverse's history of mercilessly dunking on the alt-right, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw Mick set an entire Klan rally on fire this year.

Wait, what?

• Locked thread