Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unfortunately the show is a team ensemble where I just can't really get into most of the team. I thought the lead guy was kind of crappy. Atom was just kind of there and uncharacteristically bland and I've loved him on Arrow. Hawkman's actor is just as wooden, boring, and lifeless as Jay Garrick's actor. The guy playing Firestorm is even worse at any kind of serious emoting than Caity Lotz is, without the benefit of at least being enjoyable at other times. Caity is fine in the lighter moments and great at the action stuff but whenever she has to get serious she's just not good at all. Victor Garber is good, but his character is very unlikable, even more so than he was on Flash. Heat Wave was fun in a dumb way which is perfect. And once again Snart was the best thing in the show.

I kind of saw it coming from the promo material outside of the first real trailer which was good, not the announcement one before they were actually shooting, but this show is just kind of a disappointing mess. I know it's only half the pilot, but none of my problems stem from story elements that can be corrected with time. The group of actors just doesn't work for me. In fact it's the opposite of Flash where I love the actors and characters but the plotting is starting to become garbage. The plot of this show is perfectly fine but the cast just doesn't work for me at all.

X-O fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gonz posted:

I've never watched Arrow or Flash (not an intentional decision; I just watch a lot of TV and never managed to fit either of those shows into my DVR schedule), but i'm cognizant of the characters on this show, and their DC Comics back stories.

Am I gonna be lost most of the time with regards to references to prior events, or is this something I can jump into and enjoy by itself?

The first episode is pretty much 75% exposition so you won't really be lost, they pretty much take their sweet rear end time catching you up on everything you do and don't really need to know.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also regarding Constantine possibly being on the show in the future, Guggenheim just recently said in the last week in an interview when they were given clearance to use the character in their universe it was in agreement that it was for a one time appearance only. So I wouldn't look for Matt Ryan to be back in the role any time soon, if at all. Which is a shame since he actually does really well with the character.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Xelkelvos posted:

Cold and Heat Wave's blasts just knocking people over rather than doing the things that one would imagine them doing irks me a bit though.

I was wondering this myself. Someone needs to tell them that fire and ice don't work like that. Then again last time Snart showed up he literally froze light into a solid somehow and shattered it so I guess going the other way with it isn't nearly as bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

No he didn't. No he wasn't.

Phrasing that his Hawkman was better makes it sound like his Hawkman was good. It wasn't. But this is worse because the actor sucks. The fact that it's worse doesn't mean that Smallville's was good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Whizbang posted:

He just needs any character traits whatsoever beyond winged date rape to Hawkgirl and smug prick to everyone else.

Those seem to be the only traits I can think of that Hawkman should have to be fair. It's not like we're dealing with a good character here anyway. Hawkgirl has always been the more interesting one, mostly on the back of the Justice League cartoon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rip just set his version of Siri to UK English because it wasn't working with his accent.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

howe_sam posted:

That was footage shot specifically for upfronts so they would have something to show. They filmed the real pilot later on.

This is correct, they never reshot a pilot because they never shot an actual pilot. All the footage from that first trailer was shot specifically for the pitch to CW and then was shown at the upfronts.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm sure that tracking shot with Atom seemed so much cooler in their heads than it looked on TV because it sure didn't look good. Once again the Rogues were great as was Stein and everyone else was just kind of there.

Hawkman getting the gently caress off the show was a good move, hopefully Firestorm isn't far behind.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Valeyard posted:

That was absolutely Dahrks mansion, and I think it will probably end up being a story point more than just budgety reasons.

If so I'll be interested in how they explain it moving from Norway to Starling.

The DC Instagram account is saying that Hourman, Sandman, and Ma Hunkel are coming to the show. I bet Ma Hunkel looks better than Supergirl's Red Tornado.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 1, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The action scenes suffer because most of the team's powers overlap and are visually boring. Hawkgirl flies. Captain Cold shoots an ice gun with no discernible effect. Heat Wave shoots a fire gun with no discernible effect. Firestorm flies AND shoots fire with no discernible effect. Rip Hunter shoots a laser gun with no discernible effect. Atom flies AND shoots lasers with no discernible effect. And sometimes does it while tiny. It's all very samey and kind of boring looking. Canary is the only one that does any actual action stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Even if everything good that has happened in the CW DC universe show was somehow not good then all that bad would still be worth it for Wentworth Miller's Leonard Snart. The greatest TV comic villain since Frank Gorshin.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Absolutely wrong.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Did anyone else think that Ray's "Rip Hunter recruited us to become LEGENDS" line was the worst loving thing in the series thus far?

No because Hawkman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

enraged_camel posted:

My guess is the two shows simply wanted to use the same voice actor and they're gonna leave it unexplained.

But it's not the same voice actor.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

enraged_camel posted:

put all dr who fans in an airlock and release them into space

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Just get rid of Dr. Who.

Are there any petitions I can sign to speed this process up?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Season two will be terrible without Snart since he's doing another show. He's the only thing worth watching on this one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Proposition Joe posted:

I would much rather have Snart go back to being a recurring villain on The Flash than stay on for LoT season 2. He can get replaced by Matt Ryan's Constantine.

Well that's not gonna happen. The producers said they were given permission to use him with the understanding it was a one time deal.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Brandon Routh let slip in some DC promotional video that one of the crew isn't who we think they are. Whatever that means.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I decided to catch back up on this. It's still bad.

Pyroi posted:

So...did they succeed in saving Rip's family by kidnapping Savage or not?

If they keep him long enough then the timeline solidifies without him like in the previous episode. But don't expect them to remember that convenient plot point outside of the one episode it came up in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The actress is fine, and probably one of the better actors on the show at this point. But the character is terrible. Not as terrible as Carter or Rip, but still terrible. The actress has poo poo to work with and still comes across likeable at times. Unlike those other two.

I think at this point point Snart and Palmer are really the only likable characters on the show. And it's almost entirely through sheer force of will in defiance of bad writing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rip is completely unlikable. The actor is terrible and the character. With Carter gone he's easily the worst part of the show. And unfortunately the main character on it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Eh, the only reason they guy playing Jax isn't the worst actor on the show is because they cast the two dudes that play Rip and Carter. His character is one note, but the actor brings basically nothing to a one note character to try and salvage it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kendra is probably a worse written character than Rip by a small margin, but the actress actually adds a little something to the lovely character whereas the guy playing Rip adds nothing of value.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was so ready to finally write this goddamn show off after tonight and then in the last few minutes they go and remove the second worst part of the show entirely and then have Patrick J. Adams, who I think is great, show up playing a character I really like? Not cool show. Not cool.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I did not think that episode was good at all until literally the last two minutes. It was just another wet fart of an episode the only highlight being that Savage was killed so he doesn't have to be around anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like how everyone in universe just casually glosses over the fact that Barry Allen, history's greatest threat, got the President of the United States murdered by aliens. I guess it's all transmuted metabomb water under the bridge.

• Locked thread