Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

raditts posted:

So this is basically Rory's solo adventures after the Doctor left him for dead, right

I'm hoping that Mark Williams shows up as Booster Gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Binary Logic posted:

One thing I can't figure out though - if Captain Cold just wants money why doesn't he license the technology used in his Freeze-O-Ray gun?! It could be worth tens of millions of dollars just from food & beverage industry applications. Maybe he simply likes being a big bad guy, which is fine by me.
He's flat-out explained as much to Barry in the past. He's never been in it for the money, though Money's also nice. He's all about the thrill of being a criminal, outsmarting the authorities, planning heists, getting into fights... it's what he lives for. That was when he was just a regular crook going up against plain ol' cops. Now his world is filled with super technology, homicidal pranksters, and an opponent with abilities that make him almost godlike. From his point of view, it's the world's best playground.

BreakAtmo posted:

Half of Snart's character boils down to “Knows drat well he's a comic book villain and RELISHES it".

Hell, he even relishes being a comic book villain when he's doing something objectively good.

Is it wrong that Snart is the person on the show I who I can sympathize with the most?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Xealot posted:

Adding to this point: Rip is a liar. Maybe none of these characters achieve anything significant, or maybe they end up doing *very* significant things that Rip has decided are bad or counterproductive.
Or maybe he's telling the truth, technically, but he's neglecting to mention that none of them have an impact on the future because he snatched them out of the timeline.

It's a big logical flaw in a lot of time travel stories. If Doc Brown takes Marty out of 1985 and visits 2015, then that should be a 2015 where Marty just disappeared without a trace one day 30 years ago.

So if Rip's time travel does take that into account, then none of these people exist in the future at all. Until the mission is over and they're put back in place. So he's not technically wrong, just super misleading.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

TheCenturion posted:

And can we please go back to the part where the doddering old professor, who along side his old-timey casual racism probably also engages in old-timey casual sexism, has date-rape-ade stocked and ready to go in his office? And obviously a lot of practice in slipping it to people on the dl?
This is just standard college professor protocol.

For example, remember the scene in Ghostbusters where (recently fired) Dr. Venkman showed up for a date with Dana, to find she's possessed? They talk a bit, then he calls his co-workers to tell them that he's just knocked her out with a massive dose of thorazine. (about a third of a quart of it) There's no indication that he left her apartment before doing that, so apparently he just brings that sort of thing on dates with him.

His co-workers, having similar backgrounds, never questioned him on that. Because they know how it goes. If you were to ask Professor Stein about that scene, he'd just say "Yes, and?"

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

howe_sam posted:

I thought Snart was going to justify stealing other stuff to obscure what their actual goal was.
If he had respected Ray more, he might have gone with that excuse. Hell, it might have been Snart's actual motivation all along, and he still wasn't going to tell Ray, just because.

Also, they shot Savage, sending him and the dagger flying. I know they needed to get Hawkgal to the infirmary, but that's not a task that needs the whole team. I would think that since this is the one point in time and space where they know how to find the dagger, the one item they can't complete their mission without, that it would be pretty important to go get it. But they didn't? (unless I missed something)

Now Savage knows they know about the dagger, and was dumb enough to tell everyone how to use it. "Oh hey, here's how to kill me, only Hawkgirl can do it, and in addition to telling you that I'll kill Hawkman so that you can't get that part wrong again even if you forget." If Savage was smart, that thing would be dumped into the Marianas trench in a lead box, while he sticks a convincing forgery into a very secure (but public) museum for the disposable legends to find.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

FactsAreUseless posted:

Season 2 deals with the Time Masters' evil nemeses, the Crime Masters.
Ironically, the organization is run by Tim E. Masters.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Fat Shat Sings posted:

[Ray] spent the entire season being established as the boy scout and just punches through someones sternum and entire body and just acts like nothing happened.
That was the best part of the episode for me. It was such an awesomely brutal move, and so completely against his character, that I just could not stop laughing for a bit. More of that, please, sensibility be damned.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
So clearly a big chunk of the season has been a plot by Vandal Savage to lure a Time Master into handing him a time machine. And Rip just brought him onto a time machine, and left him un-sedated in a glass box. So that worked.

The only question left is "when did that plan start?" Did he only take over the world in the first place to provoke some dumb time traveler? Has it only been the past few decades, or has he been repeatedly trying world domination for thousands of years trying to get that outcome?

"Goddamn it, I've subjugated half the globe and still no time travelers. What does a guy gotta do for a little trans-temporal attention? gently caress it, burn the empire, I'll start over. Again."

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Martout posted:

Besides, he was a boring idiot so Savage locking his mind or whatever is probably a step up.
Also, assuming it's even true that Savage did something to Carter's mind, why would anyone possibly believe that only he can fix it? Yeah, Savage says so, but what does he know?

The Waverider has a medical system so advanced that it can re-grow a working hand in a matter of minutes. Gideon has medical knowledge far in advance of anything Savage could possibly know about. Time travel gives them pretty easy access to THE experts on medicine, psychiatry, brainwashing, and probably actual magic and telepathy. All that plus the fact that there is no reason Savage WOULD ever un-do whatever he did.

Or just kill Carter right now and pick him up again 5 minutes later by hopping forward another 30-some years, because it's clearly all the same, that's the entire point of Carter.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

FilthyImp posted:

Or the clumsy explanation for The Pilgrim attacking their childhood selves: she can Only get one chance at it or the damage would be catastrophic! (Says the team that's had half a dozen shots at killing Savage and yet...)
Rip himself, in the latest episode, explained that he went back to the time his family was killed, over and over again, going slightly earlier each time. He couldn't even count how many times he did it, which (even for these characters) should suggest a number greater than two or three. But Pilgrim only gets one shot at changing the timeline because... um... stuff.

On the other hand, that would imply that somewhere nearby, just a couple days in the future, there's hundreds of Rip Hunters all crying at once when each of them simultaneously fails to save his family. A warehouse full of sobbing Rips, the floor ankle-deep in tears.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 2, 2016

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

nooneofconsequence posted:

So what did they actually accomplish?
Unless I misunderstand, what they accomplished is killing Savage just after he had conquered the world and done all of the things Rip hated him for, but just before the part where Savage saves the Earth from aliens.

So, in theory, even in victory over Savage, Rip still made things much worse for the entire human race, while also not accomplishing his actual goal.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 22, 2016

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

EricFate posted:

If the rest of the Thanagarians suck as badly as Connor and Kendra...
I'm trying to imagine what that would even look like. Forget conquering Earth, they'd start by trying to conquer a very stubborn lid on a jar of peanut butter so they could make a sandwich, and by the end their entire civilization would be nothing but ash and cinder, with a single unopened jar sitting atop the ruins.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
WHAT, WE COME TO POMPEII AND SOMEONE BROKE THE drat VOLCANO? GUESS I GOTTA TO EVERYTHING MYSELF.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

nine-gear crow posted:

I would be prefectly happy if the team never faces any consequences for them ruining time everywhere they go. Especially after Flash spending literally weeks making GBS threads on Barry for Flashpoint. It just makes it all the funnier :allears:
The implication seemed to be that Barry (and Thawne) are only able to notice & remember timeline changes because it's a speedforce side-effect.

I'd love it if later in the season the crew starts feeling cocky about how little they've damaged the timeline, but only because they don't realize they're incapable of seeing that their own timelines have changed.

Meanwhile the audience sees that Firestorm is now an old black guy and a young white dude, Reyanne Palmer has rebuilt her Atom suit, the team historian masters his ability to turn his skin into wood, Snart is rocking his trusty flamethrower as always, while Cyan Canary is still acting Captain.

Rip Hunter shows up in the finale for a total of 10 seconds, throws his hands up in the air, and stomps away in resignation.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Aleph Null posted:

Siamese fraternal twins.
Then Barry Allen goes back in time to give Iris' Mom speedforce cancer, after being talked into it by Earth-17's Double-Negative Inverse Flash. As a side effect, Diggle's kid is a stillborn albino hermaphrodite. Damien & Malcom both show up in the delivery room screaming "I was head of the league of assassins" for no discernable reason. Everyone decides not to tell Joe about it, or anything else, ever.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Pizdec posted:

That's quite an act you got there. And what do you call it?
Don't call us Aristocrats... We're Legends.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm sad during every episode that Darvill was cast as Rip Hunter instead of Booster Gold
They could always use time travel shenanigans to bring Rip Hunter's Dad onto the team, also played by Arthur Darvill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

muscles like this! posted:

The joke is that he played the guy who built the Titanic in the James Cameron movie.
Or was that Prof. Stein all along?

• Locked thread