Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know what this show reminds me of, back when SyFy was Sci-fi Channel, this feels like one of their original shows. There's something about the sets, the effects, the way dialog is written and the acting over all reminds me of Stargate or something like that.

I'm not saying that's bad, its just feels odd. I agree with the complaints though about the guy playing Carter. He just gives off this obsessive, possessive stalker vibe and the dialog does not help. Killing him off would go a long way to improve the show.

My only other real issue is this version of Vandal Savage doesn't really feel like a threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

enraged_camel posted:

:confused:

Stealing a nuke from a Soviet convoy with the intention of setting it off and starting a world war isn't a threat?

It's his presence more than actions. He's just another beardo, not very imposing or scary.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Either version of Hawk and Dove would be great. Actually, this show does lend itself well to single episode heroes and villains. Depends on how much they want to spend on effects and such.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Binary Badger posted:

From reading a lot of Justice Society books, Khufu almost always finds his way to Shayera over time.

Yea, I've never seen an incarnation of the Hawkpeople that Carter wasn't the driver of it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Whizbang posted:

They're Discount Avengers, it's just that the team he was referring to was the Great Lakes Avengers.

They at least hast Squirrel Girl.

I liked this a lot more than the first episode, and while Savage did seem more of a threat, he still doesn't seem this team should be able to take him down. Oh he a nuke! But then we have a dude that can totally absorb the energy from it.

Caity Lotz looked super cute in her mid 70s outfit, though hopefully there won't be an 80s episode where she's doing rails casually.

And hasn't Hawkgirl become more important than Hawkman recently? I mean she was front and center in the JL animated shows.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could only think of that issue of X-men where Wolverine and Ms Marvel sneak into the pentagon for the first part.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As I said in spoilers, Kendra and Sara's infiltration reminded me of the first X-men comic I read where Carol Danvers and Wolverine go into the Pentagon to erase the military's database about the X-men and Ms Marvel. This made me think that if Caity Lotz was taller, she's make a good Captain Marvel. Hey its not like the two companies haven't poached each others actors for their properties before.

I really do hope they explain why the Time Masters are so adamant that they let Savage take over the world. Oh this is the proper course of human history, that an immortal magical man rules over the earth and kills everyone, that is human histories destiny? Even if we assume that Savage was created in Egypt rather than the distant past ( I don't know why this change pisses me off so much), you'd think someone having powers beyond normal humans and using that for world conquest would be considered altering the past. Savage is technically a time traveler to, just only forward and slowly, but he's still using his immortality to give him an advantage no one else has.

As was suggested, Savage may be either the leader of the Time Masters, or possibly have just allied with them promising them a place in his new order.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yes, and so are you. And me. And everyone. This is not time travel, this is existing.

The reason why the Time Masters don't want to stop Savage is because Savage did nothing against the timeline. Rip did. Rip and his team keep changing the past, which has caused severe problems in the future (including this episode's Russian Firestorm). Yes, they're doing it to stop Savage and change the future for what they expect is a better one...but this is still changing the timeline. Savage is just living his life.

I think there's a difference between me and you, and a guy who has thousands of years of experience, knowledge and resources. Obviously Savage can't know the future, but he can influance the future in ways none of us could. He could effect say, a family going into politics that could become a leader that eventually he could use to start wars or other stuff. We already saw that he has started a religion around himself, and his influence it vastly beyond anyone else could imagine.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gonz posted:

Now that you mention it, I hope there's a Roaring 20's episode and Miller gets to wear a pinstripe suit and shoot a Thompson.

And Lotz in a flapper dress?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Seriously, both outfit options would be perfect.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gonz posted:

That'd be great, too. As long as she does some sort of spinning heel kick in the face of a robber baron.

Take this Andrew Mellon! And this one JR Morgan! And one for you Wayne Wheeler!

Yea i know Wheeler wasn't a Robber Baron, but he was an rear end.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tiggum posted:

Neither do I. :confused:

It's a pose from a stupid anime people who were kids in the 90s love for some reason.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kesper North posted:

Happens to some people. I'm 36 and almost as grey as Miller is. Runs in the family.

I am 38 and working on a good Reed Richards/Dr Strange level of grey at the temples.

So lets say they defeat Savage this season, who do they set up as the Villain of the second season? DC doesn't have quite the number of time traveling villains as Marvel does.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

XboxPants posted:

:shrug: I would be 100% fine with the show dropping the subtitle and just turning into Legends at some point. Time travel's a great gimmick, but it doesn't have to be that forever. It can be whatever kind of anthology.

This is what I hope. Plus the nature of the show lets them rotate the cast around. There's a lot of c-lister DC heroes that would fit perfectly in the show.

Xelkelvos posted:

Next season should be universe jumping.

This would also be a good idea. It's too bad DC is afraid to have multiple versions of characters around, because having a Batman Beyond show up would be kind of awesome, totally fitting within the show too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this? posted:

Flash just did two episodes with a bunch of multiple versions of characters.

Anyway, I'm glad they're doing a future arc as the past was getting kind of boring.

I mean between movies and TV. They killed off everyone who could show up in Suicide Squad, so there's no way they'd use any of their major characters. Though that does make you wonder about movie and TV flash.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soothing Vapors posted:

given that they can't even beat Chronos I'm thinking season 2's villain could be a troupe of cub scouts or perhaps one of those inflatable dancing men from a used car lot

either way, the legends will be totally stymied

They'd be hard pressed to defeat Balloon Man.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Considering Alice Kingston is Sara's mom, I can't see why not just recreate that episode.

I was catching up with a friends Podcast, and his cohost was saying how much she was excited for Legends of tomorrow and the episode after its premier how dissapointed she was in it. Mostly because of the terrible Hawkman and how Vandal doesn't seem like a threat at all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like this show ended and I missed the finale, it is still going it looks though. Though its weird to take a what, 3 week hiatus on a short run show like that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Longbaugh01 posted:

Thanks. Apparently I did watch it, but don't remember it at all!

By the way, I've asked this in a BSS thread, and it's somewhat related, but I just watched the newest DCAU film Justice League VS. Teen Titans and Green Lantern is conspicuously absent considering he's been in the other New 52 DCAU films iirc. What gives?

Based on what I've heard from WB people interviews, GL is like mutants for Marvel, don't use them unless you 100% absolutely have to. I think they're worried that they're still carrying baggage from the movie. Which is stupid because no one remembers it.

I realized they probably had a big plotpoint in 1958 because that was the birth of the Silver Age, which makes me wonder if the other dates they go to have comic publishing significance.

So was Chronos always modulated Rory voice?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

1986 was the start of the post crisis timeline

I forgot that the Russia episodes were set then, so yea, I'm curious what the 70s one was. Maybe when Flash went from Barry to Wally?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

Barry died in 1986

Firestorm was created in 1978 and they released Superman vs Muhammad Ali.

Well, we know which one they were referencing there; Superman vs Muhammad Ali is a classic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

Looking it up the years mean nothing as they were in 1975 not 1978, and the silver age starter in 1956

AH crap, there goes that theory. That would have been to clever for the Arrowverse writers, no way to work awkward relationship drama in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FilthyImp posted:

No one cares about their animated movies though.

Unless they're DKR or something. Otherwise it's just more of that Direct to Video shovelware that occasionally nets you something decent.

But consider how GL was conspicuously absent from their JL world building in BvS...

They have straight up said that we won't see anything from any Gl related stuff until earliest after the Justice League movie. Though in the same interview the exec said they are aware that they need to expand beyond Batman movies.

But yea, it's hard to do the constructs in a way that looks good, and you can't just do energy blasts and shields because that is just lame. It's just weird, it would be like if Marvel didn't do Thor. A huge and popular part of the universe is gone.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FilthyImp posted:

On the other hand, Marvel took Daredevil and shipped it off to Streaming Netflixland instead of trying him to a new Spiderboot.

And no one ever talks about Ghostrider anymore. So it's not without precedent.

Yea, but GL is one of the bigger heroes outside of the trinity. Ghostrider is like leaving out Red Robin.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always thought Hal makes pretty basic stuff, John tends to make detailed military stuff, Kyle comic style stuff and Guy is more creative versions of hals stuff. I forget what Simon does, and isn't Carol getting a GL ring in Rebirth?

I do feel DC tv is trying to avoid as much of its cosmic stuff as possible, even with Supergirl having alien criminals running around as a major story point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Can't wait until the episode were we find out that Jack the Ripper was Savage, and one of the women he murdered was Hawkgirl. He was also William Gull at the time too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Show would be so much better if Snart started stealing historical artifacts for kicks.

That's the magna carta!
I thought it would look good in my bathroom

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Austria, 1902, Ray saves a young boy who dreams of becoming an artist, but it turns out to be Hitler.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I realized what was bugging me about the future episode, it really felt like a Stargate Episode, and now the whole show just makes me think of Stargate.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

I too daydream about better television when I watch this.

Genre tv is in a sad place now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jscolon2.0 posted:

Where my time loop/golf episode at, CW?

The ship gets stuck in a loop, and while everyone else is running around trying to fix it, Snart and Sara just chill out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Sara likes guys too. She's a Time Bisexual.

She's just Olliesexual, like all the women on the show.

Krad posted:

The gang travels back to 1990. They immediately leave because there's nothing worth saving there. Ray accidentally becomes his own grandpa.

They travel to 1994 and accidentally cause the death of Kurt Cobain.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pyroi posted:

Sara makes out with Caitlin.

Caitlin AND Iris.

Barry vanishes for most of the episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kid Rip coldly shanking The Pilgrim saved this episode from being silly. Also Detective Lances Hair.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I totally see the show ending with Kendra dying and then it showing her and Carter together, and present it as a romantic storyline.

As was said, JL/U had the best handling of hawkgirl. When Carter comes calling she's all "Wtf creep" and Batman backs her up. If Batman is calling you a creep, you know you are one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sir Potato posted:

Carter is not the worst part of this show. Kendra and Ray getting married is the worst part of this show. I cannot imagine why the writers thought that was a good idea. There is no chemistry whatsoever and it's unbelievably shoehorned in.

Because you gotta give the ladies something, and what do ladies love? Weddings! - how TV writers think.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Krad posted:

Huh, that's... better than what I expected.

It's hilarious comparing the first promo we got with how the show actually is. They're basically two completely different things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26B53jxIixE

I like how lazy it looks when Ray uses his wrist laser at the end.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

enraged_camel posted:

Sarah is cool, but I feel like her character is written wrong. She used to be one of the top assassins in LoA. I dislike the way the writers in this show are giving her the role of Kendra's confidante in girly matters, and the way the two of them lost their minds over that baby at the hospital was very :barf:

Uh, that was baby Snart, so it was totally understandable.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

enraged_camel posted:

Hmm, was it?

Yes it was, that's why the scene was funny.

If Savage gets away, like escapes, that would be fine, becuase that's a pretty standard thing for a reoccuring villain, but if he does have a grand plan of getting captured, then gently caress that poo poo, its so hackney and cliche they might as well have Savage reveal he's really Rips brother or some other silly thing.

Savage also needs to get a new graphic designer, his evil empire logo looked like what you'd see for a building management company. Come on dude, you're an ancient Egyptian, have a cool hawk, or crocodile or some other vicious animal, you can even work in your knife in there. Nope, buncha lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe he's got a super cool brainwashing machine, no, seriously, he does. It's in the other room, but he just moved, so you can't go in becuase of boxes.

I cannot believe I only just thought of this now

Basically this season.

• Locked thread