Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

That chopper took way too long to crash.

I have a real drat hard time believing only one person on the ground was in danger, at that. At least the GL movie had the best scene ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xfpQcKl5M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

And it would be SO easy to show that together they make up for their mediocrity somehow and become a really efficient team but...

I like the implication (however unintentional) that the opposite is the case. Get together a bunch of useless nobodies, they inspire each other and overcome their individual foibles to become a team of... useless nobodies :eng99:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

The year is 0. The team find Vandal Savage nailed to a cross because, a soldier explains, "he looks a bit like that guy, you know the one." They plan to stab him with the magic knife, but leave it in an aqueduct while trying to find a good Greek place. Ray, confused, founds Islam 622 years early.

This should be a @TNG_season8 thing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Unkempt posted:

He did, that was really strange. No idea what they were going for there.

On Quantum Leap they called it "a kiss with history", but on this show it's more like "a clumsy teenage grope with history".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ApeHawk posted:

Speaking of which, is that an actual thing about Jonah Hex or was that just something that might have happened to him on one of his adventures?

It's an actual thing, long story short he got caught in an Apache trial by combat with a sabotaged weapon and won by illegally pulling a second knife, but the chief only saw the knife and scarred him with a hot tomahawk in punishment for his dishonorable conduct. He's usually pretty seriously fugly, like this:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mortanis posted:

I feel like this idea of the Pilgrim is really great and the sort of poo poo I want out of the show but it's been kneecapped by having a bunch of other supposedly unstoppable time bandits showing up.

I'm just gonna pretend that the town they were in being a ~time shadow~ or whatever weakened the previous guys and the Pilgrim is getting around it by hunting their younger selves in stable timelines instead of chasing these temporal terrors through one chronal calamity after another.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

It doesn't feel like there's much of a narrative throughline to their efforts to stop Savage's plans, because Savage doesn't really seem to have an overarching plan most of the time. Compare most of the big bads in Arrow, Flash and Supergirl. Their schemes usually have a clear sense of direction and their activities usually seem to be building up to it. I don't get the same impression from Savage in LoT. I don't feel like his plans are building up to him trying to take over the world; it feels more like he goes around selling nuclear weapons to terrorists, fomenting wars between superpowers or playing mad scientist because he enjoys it, then in Rip's time just decided world conquest might be fun to try.

That would be a great angle to take if they actually worked it. I don't wanna fanfic too hard here but some kind of subversive swerve like "There was never a grand plan for ultimate world domination! I just get bored and shake up things up with a big power play every millennium or so, then 'die' and let the empire collapse and see what happens. Wouldn't you if you were 40,000 years old?" could go a long way towards recovering Savage/reframing him as a different kind of villain. Like the only reason he's taking over the entire planet in Rip's time is because advancing technology has made the world "small" enough to do so, in the past he conquered as much as was feasible for one man without blowing his immortality cover/got bored and moved on.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

Time travel is dumb and we need to accept that. By extension time travelers are dumb, as evidenced by Mick being the most responsible and educated one of the group.

Once you can get over that hump, this show becomes a whole lot of fun. :)

Mick chiming in with expository lines in his grumbly thug voice whenever something new comes up will never not get old.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I still say Stein should be the active partner in the Firestorm Matrix, I wanna see Victor Garber in shiny leather doing wirework and throwing CG fireballs.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mortanis posted:

Yeah, but for the really good reason of "we should keep doing new poo poo instead of rehashing old poo poo" more or less. Which is great.

They should go back to the Titanic and run into the Time Tunnel guys, Balthazar from Supernatural, the dwarves from Time Bandits and everyone else who's ever visited the ship in a time travel plot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've avoided Arrow because I'm not that into Batman, and they seem to really want to do Batman.

Green Arrow's always been Batman by way of Robin Hood.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Scyantific posted:

Goddammit, Carter's coming back in the next episode

I will only accept this if it's a Bender's Game type scene with every single Carter throughout history in one room, the fabric of spacetime starts breaking down and then the ghost of Gardner Fox reaches through the breach and plucks them all from of existence.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

they might as well have Savage reveal he's really Rip's father

Might as well go for broke :wookie:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also, do you think that Savage gives the "we're not so different, you and I" speech to everyone he meets?

"We're not so different, you and I..."

*sigh* "You want fries with that?"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nooneofconsequence posted:

Shouldn't the Time Wraiths from the Flash deal with all these time problems?

There's just the one and it's already got its hands full with Barry Allen, Time Terrorist.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm it that sucks, enjoying.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's cool that you're so focused on your partner, but isn't "it" a little dehumanizing?

There's objectifying and then there's objectifying

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"My name is Rex Tyler and I'm with the Justice Society of America."

Well poo poo, they got me for season two.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You're just not thinking fourth-dimensionally!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

They're called extensions.

Obviously she was using the power of laboratory test monkeys for beauty products.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xarn posted:

I am ok with the first time... who knew that it would wear off in couple of seconds? The second time though, they already knew the de-speeding doesn't hold for long and should've just loving shot him. Especially since one of the two was Mike, who knows how bad fighting a speedster is and is a psycho killer -- he really shouldn't have moral problems with just frying him while he can.

I was really disappointed because we know that even without superspeed Eobard is an Oliver-level hand to hand badass and he should've had a trick or two up his sleeve for just this occasion, dude's a four-quadrant threat.

e: I rewatched the fight vs. Flash/Ollie/Firestorm and Oliver has the upper hand but Wells gets some licks in and definitely isn't dunked on, it would've been more satisfying if he pulled a few moves on them instead of "evil wins because good is dumb".

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 11, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Donnerberg posted:

It's plot convenience, but I can explain it away if you like.

Thawne only nibbled on Stein because he wanted a shoddy shapeshift he could shake off to restore his real face. The Wells shapeshift had to stick for the rest of his life, so he sucked OG Wells dry for a full effect.

I figured this is what it was, he didn't want to be Stein forever and just needed some fast access.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yer Burnt posted:

This show needs to stay on long enough to get to the episode where a time and inter-dimentional aberration is caused by the huge success of the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern movie.

I didn't know I needed this so badly until now. Live-action meta-Elseworlds would own so hard.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

Why is Thawne with the good guys?

That looks like the division of credits based on who's a regular and who's a recurring guest star, it's a SAG thing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

At the end of the Invasion crossover Cisco gave Kara a little portal device that lets her send messages and cross back to the main CW universe whenever she wants.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

I see what you did there.

Also, the "crisis" in the future newspaper on The Flash isn't infinite Earths, it's Barry's Crisis Of Infinite Fuckups.

The Allen family dining room is gonna get really crowded come next season finale.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

They should bring Resurrection Man in for season 3, he'd be perfect for these guys.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

It was, sadly. Though given that there's dinosaurs running around hosed up Time Broke LA, I wouldn't be surprised if she whips it out again at some point in Season 3.

Maybe this time she'll flying roundhouse the T. rex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Mick's going to go to a Nazi book burning ceremony and feel very conflicted

He'll split the difference and throw the Nazis on the pile

• Locked thread