Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I dug it after the first 10 minutes got out of the way. My problem is that the team just doesn't work on an acting standpoint. I didn't hate the Hawks during the crossover event, nor Stein and Jackson in their bits when originally introduced, but when pitted against the like of Miller, Routh, Darvill, and Purcell they just don't carry the same weight on screen. It makes them feel worthless and drab by the sharp contrast. By themselves I don't think they'd be too terrible, but they're overshadowed by better talent. Even Lotz has brought up her game.

Pilots are usually pretty shaky as they find footing, so I'm hoping the other actors have a chance to shine.

The bar scene is exactly the sort of tone I hope the show to keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I liked the first half.

I loved the second half. Everyone was firing on all cylinders.

I didn't really dislike Hawkman, he just was average compared to some far better actors. Glad they hung a lantern on the creepy bits at least. I'm guessing since he died in 75 his soul reincarnates back when, allowing there to be another Hawkman when it comes time to become a Justice League in the nebulous future beyond all the shows.

lotus circle posted:

The guy playing Hawkman was billed as a guest role, so he won't be coming back.

So is Vandal Savage. It's possible they'll pull a fakeout, though, and defeat Savage early season and introduce a bigger bad guy.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Tiggum posted:

It seems like a pretty obvious reference, which means that Batman and Superman must show up in the future (from the persepctive of Arrow/Flash), but everyone in that room should have been going "Huh? Dark nights fall?"

Well, they did name drop Oracle on Arrow. It's possible Bats is around and doing things and it's just not mentioned.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I really like Arrow and The Flash.

I LOVE Legends of Tomorrow. It hits the comic book itch perfectly. I really don't dislike anyone on the team, though there's some really notable standouts. Hell, I even dig Stein's monotone chastisement of pretty much everyone ever.

I just wish that Rip had collected a few pieces of Savage after blowing him up. Let's see how Savage conquers the world if he's missing an arm and his lungs.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yeah. He stayed in the Time Masters and they had an illicit marriage. She quit so he would be able to stay, and Rip only bailed on/got kicked from the Masters after his petition to reverse-murder Savage failed.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Come on, Constantine! I want Matt Ryan and Arthur Darvill out-Englishing each other every episode.

I hope they don't change up the cast too much. I like pretty much everyone now.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
It's going to be revealed near the end that Rip is loving things up on purpose and isn't really a good guy. It's been done that way twice on Flash now, might as well get it on Legends too!

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
It's weird. I like this show. I like most of the characters and the situations they get in, even if they repeat the exact same mistakes every episode and go through the exact same motions of "I WILL CHANGE TIME AND SAVE X" "No, you can't, it's bad" "YET WILL I PERSIST IN DOING IT" "I have seen reason and I, Rip Hunter, shall help you but let this be the last time!"

It's not a great show. It's a fun show, but god drat is it poorly written. Yet I can't not love it.

Also, Brandon Routh in his wild west getup is pretty hot. That dude is just the best.

I feel like this idea of the Pilgrim is really great and the sort of poo poo I want out of the show but it's been kneecapped by having a bunch of other supposedly unstoppable time bandits showing up.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
No one's going to mention that Rip's real name is Michael?

Michael... Jon... Carter?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

nooneofconsequence posted:

Just make season 2 a Booster Gold Blue and Gold show.

Fixed

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, but for the really good reason of "we should keep doing new poo poo instead of rehashing old poo poo" more or less. Which is great.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I don't know. This show is 50% awesome and 50% loving dumb. It rarely straddles the line and instead vacillates wildly from one extreme to the other. Most episodes have both great poo poo and cringe-worthy poo poo all rolled into one. It keeps it entertaining. At this point there's no way the writers aren't making Ray a moron on purpose and it's kinda hilarious.

There's a lot of good stuff in the show. It's just that the other half of every episode is filled with bad writing, annoying or outright bad plots, and the occasional Carter.

Did anyone else start laughing the moment Carter got shanked again, expecting the writers to just straight up kill the character twice in the same season? I'd have forgiven a lot of sins if Carter just gets stabbed to death every few episodes.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Tom Welling playing a teenage Clark Kent was older than Brandon Routh playing a Superman that had been around the block a few times and then vanished for five years.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

BrianWilly posted:

So am I the only one who really enjoyed this episode?

No, I loved it. It was far and away the best episode of the season, kicked all sorts of rear end, had good character moments, and wasn't full of pants on head plans.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
JSA. God drat. I'd be happy if the next season didn't have quite so much time hopping and they just hung around with the JSA for awhile. Give me a few episodes with Sandman and the Alan Scott Green Lantern, then backdoor pilot a Justice Society of America show as a period piece and I'm happy.

Doc Fate's helmet was in Constantine, which is in-continuity now. Come on CW. DOOOO IIIITTTT.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Rip, being a time traveler, had zipped into the future to watch Batman v Superman, which that line references.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I really enjoyed that and two of the best villains the CW-verse has had being on one show is also great. I'd be super happy if the show was just "Thawne and Darhk gently caress up time" with our sorry looking lot of hopefuls here chasing after them and fixing it.

Literally "Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego".

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Lance Henriksen, king of the B Movie, showing up in LoT. I am happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
It seems kinda weird Kara is perfectly fine cooking a bunch of sapient beings. It's war blah blah but her just murdering a bunch of alien mooks seems weird.

Overall pretty great crossover. Looking forward to more.

• Locked thread