Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Thump! posted:

I am an atheist. Science is my rifle. Intellect is my blade. Care to do battle?

Yeah. Didn't think so. :smug:

I tried atheism for awhile because religion doesn't make any sense to me. It's like, we're all here holding hands and thanking god for this turkey and our good fortune while I'm looking around for someone to shoot me a furtive glance and wink. We're just pretending to be into this, right?

Anyway, I met a bunch of atheists and there was something wrong with them. See quoted example above. Besides, I've seen what I can best describe as ghosts and have had some weird psychic-ish poo poo happen which makes me think there's more than what can be rationally described, not that any of it has much impact on the reality we are experiencing, so it's always been like, might as well be an atheist.

A lot of "ghost stuff" is just your dumb brain trying to recognize patterns and coming up with stupid interpretations, I get that. Yet there have been some experiences that make me okay with that not everything can be explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Who What Now posted:

Not currently having an explanation is not an excuse to just make poo poo up.

I'm not talking about not having an explanation for autism as an excuse to eschew vaccines. I'm mystified by the nature of experience and reality, whatever that means, and I'm okay with it.

Not into woo.

• Locked thread