Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Here is one I drew up for you

You want to have the quarterback and half back in the pistol formation with two receivers flanking the center. At the snap, have the quarterback fake a handoff to the running back and then loop away from the play with his back to the defense to keep the ball hidden. The halfback will cross outside in the opposite before looping back around at the line of scrimmage. While defenders take the bait, send your two receivers in vertical routes that cross ten yards down the field. Have one receiver make a break to the right of the field while the other one moves forward a yard or two back to the play. At this point the QB should loop back around with the ball still in his possession and make a bullet pass to the stationary receiver.

Here is a quick diagram

Fantastic :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Give/throw the ball to the fastest black kid on the team every play. Buy your kid ice cream on the way home. Everyone wins.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
tell them they're all worthless scum who will never amount to anything, you might just get an Aaron Rodgers out of it

but if you do, have him shower separately

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

AAA DOLFAN posted:

If you are running more than 3 routes you're doing it wrong

With no blocking you pretty much have to have 4 kids running some kind of route

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I dont want to draw it out, but basically have the pity hand-off kid be a decoy when its his turn to be up, then have the fastest kid run it up the sideline. Then hand it off to the pity case next time, cuz you don't want to be a dick.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

With no blocking you pretty much have to have 4 kids running some kind of route

Two comebacks a slant and an inside post. The safety can't cover poo poo and the post will crush it

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
2 vertical routes on the left and a crossing route and slant on the right so you can stretch them and just check down if you need to

also teach your kids how to fail an ADHD test so they can get put on amphetamines

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
always have someone going vert to force them to cover him and just make poo poo easier for everyone else, plus if he gets a good break it's bomb time

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
are you against roid cycles for children

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

This is what I came up with.

The plays are named after bodily functions to make it easier to remember and they all sound different. If they get them memorized you can introduce them to "Crap Right" or "Crap Left". Last one is pass or run depending on what the other team does.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Crap would have kids running into each other constantly.

Booger, on the other hand, just might work. Especially if the reverse is delayed, and the defense sells out to cover the 3 going deep. Hand that poo poo off to someone fast and you could get at least one or two free first downs - probably a breakout TD if the whole defense swarms left for the WRs.

Also, having a kid fall down isn't a terrible idea, if they can sell it like they tripped and got in a defender's way. I'd totally design a play like that. Make that poo poo fun. Have a kid just stop 3 yards from the LOS and wave his hands in the air like crazy, yelling "I'M OPEN, I'M OPEN!" and everyone's gonna stop and look at that at least once, until you burn them with a pass to the one kid who knew to keep running when everyone else stopped :v:

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 23, 2016

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Welp, this thread is pretty much all I hoped it'd be. When does this all start OP? Also do they check ball psi before games?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Darth Brooks posted:

This is what I came up with.

The plays are named after bodily functions to make it easier to remember and they all sound different. If they get them memorized you can introduce them to "Crap Right" or "Crap Left". Last one is pass or run depending on what the other team does.

He's playing 5-on-5. You need to start one of those receivers from the middle of the field so they can have someone to snap the ball.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The rule book has regulations for how the children should wear their uniforms immediately followed by a picture of a child blatantly violating the uniform policy. Be on the lookout for this kind of disgraceful misconduct and report any violations to Goodell. If you can't win you can always try to bankrupt the opposition.

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I suggest having at least one play where you tell them to just "get open." If it's good enough for June Jones it's good enough for you :colbert:

But yes make it fun, don't worry about anything but that. A few silly trick plays would be fun for them. You might also use passes to the flat and QB throwbacks for your "run" game, but you really shouldn't worry about establishing the run with 11 year olds with these rules. Keep things as simple as you can. Don't worry about having a giant playbook. Let every kid take snaps as QB at some point during the season, even the kid who can't throw the ball five yards (make a play for that kid, though! When he comes in maybe throw in a trick play or QB throwback, they'd love that). Teach them that losing is okay as long as you gave it your all and had fun.

Also, whenever a kid scores a TD, let him pull his best Cam Newton and give the ball to someone watching (just be sure to get it back).

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Teach them that losing is okay as long as you gave it your all and had fun.

gently caress no

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

just contract a guy to videotape your opposing team's defensive signals, no need to get fancy with actually playing football

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Does anyone have advice on how to get kids to learn how to actually run correct routes? Both"on this play I run an 8 yard curl" and "I take 6 steps forward and spin around for an 8 yard curl."

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Coco13 posted:

Does anyone have advice on how to get kids to learn how to actually run correct routes? Both"on this play I run an 8 yard curl" and "I take 6 steps forward and spin around for an 8 yard curl."

Yes, just practice the routes and don't have too many of them. The fastest two kids should always run either slant or streak routes. The kid with the best hands should run post and slant routes. Any other receiver should run a either a curl, post or slant route. The only distance they should worry about it 5, 10 and 20 yards (a kid's not gonna be able to throw farther than this anyway). If they're still struggling to pick that up, cut out the curl routes (they're boring anyway) and just give each kid two routes to learn, tops. Eventually, they'll be able to figure out how to run each of those two routes in either direction to a certain length without that much trouble. Also, having it be consistent will make it easier for the QB to learn a little accuracy.

Zone defense is indeed the way to go in kid flag football, since eventually the opposing kid QB will throw something lovely that's easy to intercept if you don't let them go the whole length of the field in two plays.

Definitely have at least two trick plays (not necessarily good ones, just fun ones) on both offense and defense and actually use them from time to time. Pay a little attention to the other team, if you're beating them badly, don't mock them with a trick play. Save them for when your team's behind and the kids could use a morale boost.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Also a trick play to use
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtwRhnMp-Pg

https://vine.co/v/OaVnUztllaW

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I worry that we might be dumbing things down a little too much here, I'm almost positive by the time I was 10-12 we had an actual (simple) offense with real route trees. Of course back then no one played flag so the route trees were more a theory and we just ran the damned ball constantly, but there were realish playcalls/formations.

I guess it depends on if this is something where you're practicing fairly often or just where you meet a couple of times a week and then go out and play a game on Saturday or whatever.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
One thing about flag football, is that in most (and I assume in this league) is that once the ball hits the ground, its dead. There are no fumbles. As a result, you should be teaching the kids how to lateral and have them run routes that allow them to lateral to a player running the opposite direction on crossing routes. If they drop the lateral then you lose a yard or so and no one cares. If you make the lateral, then you have a player running with the ball and the defense having to reverse course, so you could have a big gain. Its also great if you have a sure handed but slower kid and a fast kid who can't catch.

Some of the best intramural teams I ever saw in flag football didn't have a ton of athleticism, they were guys who had been playing together for 3-4 years and would just lateral non-stop up and down the field.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also because pitching the ball around like that is fun

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Every tick play you see in college

Do those, they all are fun

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Also use chip Kelly retardo signs

HALO 15

MADDEN 8

MEMEFACE 3

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

swickles posted:

One thing about flag football, is that in most (and I assume in this league) is that once the ball hits the ground, its dead. There are no fumbles. As a result, you should be teaching the kids how to lateral and have them run routes that allow them to lateral to a player running the opposite direction on crossing routes. If they drop the lateral then you lose a yard or so and no one cares. If you make the lateral, then you have a player running with the ball and the defense having to reverse course, so you could have a big gain. Its also great if you have a sure handed but slower kid and a fast kid who can't catch.

Some of the best intramural teams I ever saw in flag football didn't have a ton of athleticism, they were guys who had been playing together for 3-4 years and would just lateral non-stop up and down the field.

Basically, make The Play part of your playbook. Including running into the band. Hire a band.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

King Hong Kong posted:

The rule book has regulations for how the children should wear their uniforms immediately followed by a picture of a child blatantly violating the uniform policy. Be on the lookout for this kind of disgraceful misconduct and report any violations to Goodell. If you can't win you can always try to bankrupt the opposition.

Honestly this is the only thing that matters. If you aren't teaching them the right way to play then what's the point?

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I tried to combine the route trees to make them look like a swastika but failed. If anyone wants to give it a crack?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You can do a swastika with three receivers, but not four.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
When I played flag football in PE we only learned two routes: the Statue of Liberty, and the everyone get open. The Statue of Liberty never worked.

Here's a trick play that may not be legal, and will only work once: When a kid is running with ball and someone's coming right for him, he tosses it up. The defender will be confused for a second, the kid runs past him, catches his own toss, and continues on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

lifg posted:

Here's a trick play that may not be legal, and will only work once: When a kid is running with ball and someone's coming right for him, he tosses it up. The defender will be confused for a second, the kid runs past him, catches his own toss, and continues on.

This is a great youth hockey tactic (if they can manage it), but is illegal in football unless it happens behind the line of scrimmage. Unless he tosses it up exactly sideways or backwards of course.

e: It's me, I'm the guy who would complain about this if someone tried it and the ref didn't call it :(

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 24, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chromatic posted:

I tried to combine the route trees to make them look like a swastika but failed. If anyone wants to give it a crack?

5 and 11 man formations. Both play action passes. For the second one pretend there's a receiver way out on the flat because I can't count past ten (ran out of fingers).

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

Linedance posted:

5 and 11 man formations. Both play action passes. For the second one pretend there's a receiver way out on the flat because I can't count past ten (ran out of fingers).

To avoid problems, call the play the "windmill".

Either that, or don't allow jewish people on your team.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

e: It's me, I'm the guy who would complain about this if someone tried it and the ref didn't call it :(

Jim Harbaugh account spotted

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

commieB posted:

To avoid problems, call the play the "windmill".

lotta motion in the backfield on this one.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Trin Tragula posted:

He's playing 5-on-5. You need to start one of those receivers from the middle of the field so they can have someone to snap the ball.

OK. I thought the QB would just hike it himself.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

commieB posted:

hahaha jewish people don't play sports

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Linedance posted:

lotta motion in the backfield on this one.

So it's an intentional Wilson scramble?

Magicpants posted:

No I'm pretty sure I read something about a Jewish basketball player once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Magicpants posted:

This coming from a Patriots fan? smdh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Edelman

• Locked thread