Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Leavemywife posted:

Someone asked me why I wasn't doing the GBA version, and I told them I'd played the SNES version a lot more (in fact, I've never touched the GBA version; I have the DS version on the WiiU, but I hate the interface for how they do DS games, so haven't played much), and now I have a second reason not to do the GBA version.

I could never get used to the new Yoshi noises they introduced as of Yoshi's Story. The GBA version of this game uses those newer sounds. I've gotten used to the way Yoshi sounds in Woolly World, but It just doesn't sound right in this game, drat it!

Kemix posted:

I would like to be the guy to point out, that in the GBA port of the game, they COMPLETELY washed out the colors on the hidden red coins. AKA: They were indistinguishable from regular coins, because gently caress you. So you either had A. The strategy guide right next to you the entire time (Which I did), B. Looked things up on GameFAQS, or C. Waited a few years for youtube to actually be a thing and look it up there.

You could also use the magnifying glass item if you're really stumped, which isn't that hard to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
D. Man up and collect all coins you see to find the red ones like you should you nancy. :colbert:

Man this LP is reminding me that I still have my GBA Yoshi's Island cart around with something around 80% stuff collected. Bringing back fond memories of playing this in a dark tent cocooned in a sleeping bag on top of a wafer-thin camping mat with a dozen other guys during my mandatory military service. Dug around to find my GBA SP and drat if the covers aren't scratched to hell. Great battery life too from what I remember, quick Googling says 7-10 hours.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Hey, there, everyone! I've got a new episode ready, featuring Kaboom Dragoon! As a quick disclaimer, and I mention this in the video, but I don't really like World 2. I also hope you guys don't mind us not talking about the game very much!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There really aren't that many bosses in this game that aren't easy. In fact, only one comes to mind. There are several that are fairly interesting though.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
So why is it that the boos don't mind it when baby Mario looks at them?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I feel a need to post this excerpt from Wikipedia's 'List of common misconceptions' for Leave:

quote:

Vomiting was not a regular part of Roman dining customs.[100] In ancient Rome, the architectural feature called a vomitorium was the entranceway through which crowds entered and exited a stadium, not a special room used for purging food during meals.[101]

Leave, I suggest that before you try teaching your future kid anything, you read both the list of common misconceptions and the grand collection of Dad Jokes. Important stuff, that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I'm already working on my Dad jokes; it's one of the most exciting parts of having a baby, I think.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Hi, Already Working On My Dad Jokes, I'm- wait, poo poo, I think I did that wrong.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Hi, Already Working On My Dad Jokes, I'm- wait, poo poo, I think I did that wrong.

Yeah you hosed up bad swearing oops.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

And here's another Yoshi's Island video! We've finished off World 2, and we'll be starting World 3 next video!

And I'll do the bonus levels at some point, too, I guess.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Apparently the unicorn isn't actually in the Bible. Something called the re'em is there and had in the past been mistranslated as a unicorn (most notably in the King James Bible), but the root rimu has more to do with aurochs (wild cattle). Funny enough, some creationists even believe it to be a dinosaur of some sort (there's disagreement as to which). I suppose they're a different group from the fundies who go on about the inerrancy of the KJV?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I still believe the Bible took place in Scotland.

MikeyLenetia
Apr 27, 2015

Smashy~?
Oh, yay! I found the thread thanks to the videos. This game was so feel-good, it has a special place in my heart. The music is among my favorite ever.

That said, I'm not even remotely going to think about the stuff about the creatures Yoshi eats being trapped inside the egg. There honestly are a lot of really horrific things in the Mario games if you think about it long enough.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Hey, folks, I'll be recording commentary for the next video tomorrow. Since I've been through a couple of videos and haven't asked the thread at large, how are the videos? Are you all enjoying them? I know I had some audio sync issues early on, but I think I've got those sorted out. Is there anything different I could do? Is there anything different you'd like to see?

Besides me 100% all levels in a video, that is.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Leavemywife posted:

Hey, folks, I'll be recording commentary for the next video tomorrow. Since I've been through a couple of videos and haven't asked the thread at large, how are the videos? Are you all enjoying them? I know I had some audio sync issues early on, but I think I've got those sorted out. Is there anything different I could do? Is there anything different you'd like to see?

Next time you see those ghost Shy Guys passing missiles in the ceiling, do a ground pound. Please do a ground pound.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Leavemywife posted:

I've been liking them so far, so that covers 100% of your important audience. :colbert:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I thought the ones I was in were great. Except for the parts where I started talking about the game. Could've done with less of all that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Explosionface posted:

I've been liking them so far, so that covers 100% of your important audience. :colbert:

You say that like you've brought us any .gifatars lately!

:argh:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Alrighty folks, I've got the next world fully recorded and a commentator lined up. I might have the video up this weekend, but definitely not tomorrow.

I'm getting married tomorrow.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Congrats dude.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This isn't some kind of shotgun wedding type situation, is it?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

No, sir! Just two people in love.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Leavemywife posted:

No, sir! Just two people in love.

with a shotgun?

i know some people like that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Let's just say her father's power level is 5.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Look at this and how little this guy cares about all of us. Acting like wuv is more important than videos of a 20 year-old game.

But seriously, congrats, duder.

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
I've been following this LP and it's been great so far. Congrats on the wedding mate, hope you have a blast

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mazel tov!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

That's right, folks, I got married and posted a video the next day!

Only because Mrs. Leave had to go to work and I didn't have much else to do with my day. Thanks to Silver Falcon for helping me kill time!

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Ah, the Submarine. The best of the Yoshi transformations because the torpedoes have faces on them.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Hands down my least favorite world. Those monkeys loving suck. But I love both boss fights.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Leavemywife posted:

That's right, folks, I got married and posted a video the next day!

Only because Mrs. Leave had to go to work and I didn't have much else to do with my day. Thanks to Silver Falcon for helping me kill time!

I never thought about it until you guys started talking about it, but I just realized that my brain completely changes over between XBox button layout and Nintendo button layout depending on whether I'm sitting in front of a computer or a console. But yeah, DS4Windows makes using a DS4 controller great on a PC, especially if you can dig up a bluetooth dongle that works right with the controller.

Also, it seemed like the commentary was a little quiet in this video.

Since you mentioned Keesh, one thing I know for a fact is that he's better at stealing cars than someone who shall remain nameless. Why yes, I still had that video saved. :v:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Explosionface posted:

Since you mentioned Keesh, one thing I know for a fact is that he's better at stealing cars than someone who shall remain nameless. Why yes, I still had that video saved. :v:

Sadly, I don't have footage, but you should play Saints Row 3 with him sometime and watch him try to fly a helicopter.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

To (hopefully) distract you all from Explosionface's video of my terrible driving, have the second video for World 3!

With that said, I have guests up through World 4. Keeshhound will be joining me for World 4, and I think I have guests for World 5 and 6, at least. However, that leaves 7 and 8. If you are interested in joining for either of those worlds, just let me know. Hell, now that I think of it, I could probably do two guests for a world. But, at the moment, that's neither here nor there, since I'm still looking for some guests.

Leave fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 20, 2016

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Aw man, so stoked for this LP. This is definitely one of my favorite games. I had the strategy guide for the SNES version, and it was pretty rad. It was nice and informative, but also pretty casual and humorous.

I made this fanart a while back

MeatyMuffin
Feb 16, 2016
This game really takes me back. It's one of those titles that I picked up from the local video store on release and didn't bring it back until I was finished with it. Took a couple months what with everything else going on in my life, but it made every day better. (And probably worse for all the people that I denied the game to by keeping it for that long. Now I feel like an rear end...) But yeah, it still looks and sounds incredible by today's standards and is legitimately fun to play. That's more than just the nostalgia talking.

But all of that aside the LP is going great so far, dude. Looking forward to what you've got in store for the rest of it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Leavemywife posted:

To (hopefully) distract you all from Explosionface's video of my terrible driving, have the second video for World 3!

With that said, I have guests up through World 4. Keeshhound will be joining me for World 4, and I think I have guests for World 5 and 6, at least. However, that leaves 7 and 8. If you are interested in joining for either of those worlds, just let me know. Hell, now that I think of it, I could probably do two guests for a world. But, at the moment, that's neither here nor there, since I'm still looking for some guests.

Silver's reaction at the end was the best thing. :allears:

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

OH MY!!!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Explosionface posted:

Silver's reaction at the end was the best thing. :allears:

Yes, I was briefly confused why Panzer showed up.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Hey there, everyone! We're back with the fourth world's beginning, and this time Keeshhound is coming along for the ride!

I tried a different encoding technique for this one; I don't think it affected the quality at all, but I have trouble noticing these things. If you did notice the difference in quality, and think it's completely terrible, oh God go back to the way you were doing them, let me know! I'm still trying to figure out this VLP thing, and that also includes audio sync.

If there's anything you think I can do better, besides the actual playing of the game, I'm talking video and audio quality stuff, let me know. I'd like to do the best I can, and I'm open to criticism.

Leave fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Well, during recording you could load up the right video. :v:

• Locked thread