Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CrazyLoon posted:

Silver is very interesting, because the argument FOR him doing what he does now, because of a love for the crew, actually was planted there as a seed by Flint in mid-Season 2 when he pulls off the Urca gold deception: "Those men out there give a poo poo about what you think. Where else in the world would you wake up and matter? You walk out on all this...and where the gently caress are you going?" It deffo had a subtle effect, and led to what he did at the end of the season...it cost him heavily...but the crew also proved Flint's words to him, by taking care of him and electing him Quartermaster. And he legit does this job better now than Gates, because he actually stands the gently caress up to Flint, whenever he veers into the insane irrational waters that jeopardize the work of the entire crew.

So it would make sense that he is attached to the crew now...on the other hand, that spoilered area I mentioned? It might very well come to bite him in the rear end yet, because Max remains the only person who knows, that he was the one who had lied to all of them. And if he ever crosses her too much...her leaking and confirming that bit of info to Flint or the crew would utterly ruin Silver. So who knows...perhaps even he knows this, and is looking for opportunities to not be utterly reliant on the crew the way he is right now. Therein lies the argument, that he's not *that* attached to the crew as he appears at the moment.
Hold on, I just added something up.. John Silver.. Is he Long John Silver!?! It totally explains the peg leg, then. :aaaaa:

In my defense, I never realized his name was "silver", I always heard "Mistah Silvah" and figured it was like spanish or something

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm amazingly dense in somewhat novel directions, I admit. But yeah, I thought "Mr. Silva" was his name for ages. Also, a lot of characters' names aren't mentioned, sometimes for really extended periods over a few episodes at a stretch if you weren't looking closely.

But I was super happy when his long greasy hair and scraggly beard and peg leg all added up in one epic moment and I flashed back to my 2nd grade self reading Treasure Island. :3:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rocksicles posted:

http://www.historyofpiratespodcast.com

Goes WAY back to when people were stealing stuff off floating logs.

Haven't tuned in but i saw it listed somewhere once.
This is a really interesting and informative podcast however, good lord is the host terrible. He reads like he's got :spergin: with inexplicable 1-4 second pauses occurring regularly and somewhat randomly, throws in a lot of dorky jokes (which aren't so bad), but after three or four episodes he starts tossing in anime sound-clips as jokes because hey, if a sperglord making bad puns is funny, a 5-second clip from J-pop is even funnier, amirite?

Worth listening to but goddamn it gets cringeworthy pretty quickly. His pronounciation is atrocious although he sometimes addresses it (he spends an entire episode saying 'pheonicians' as 'venetians', for instance, so you spend the whole episode wondering if Venice is actually based off of a melange of different sumerian-era piratical cultures) and often uses internet pronounciations straight from wikipedia which, well, are better than he can manage.

Rocksicles posted:

Silver is Plata in Spanish...
Luckily I'm not spanish....... So idgaf

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 16, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
That was one of the most satisfying finales I've seen in a long time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gonz posted:

Silver gonna make a fortune selling hushpuppies to Nassau.
Do you have any idea how loving hard it is to find decent hushpuppies anywhere but the deep south of N America.. I mean for reals

SeaWolf posted:

Their dead weight holds the show back. I can only imagine how much more amazing it would be if they weren't there. Every episode could have been as awesome as this finale!
Breasts are not dead weight - they totally flop around

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can we talk about fruit next? Really round this thread out.
Was the dude who played Charles Vane the same dude who was that one-off slave from Spartacus, with the horse-dong, who got executed post-haste?

Never really noticed balls and dunno why anybody would focus on them - they're like pink avocados, and avocados are healthy food but not like, sexy in any way.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Med School posted:

This show made me realize how much harder it is for men to be sexy as gently caress. Anyone would probably say Vane is a 10 as far as dudes are concerned, and Jessica Kennedy is a 10 as far as girls are concerned, but you never read
Any articles about the girls of the show having to run 13 miles and do 200 pull-ups a day to look the way they look...
http://nypost.com/2016/04/01/what-2000-squats-per-day-get-you/

You're an idiot. Great name/post combo though to be weighing in with, though!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FrensaGeran posted:

She's not actually French??????? :aaaaa:
Canadians are perennially terrible at pronunciation and cadence. Behold the afore-linked http://www.historyofpiratespodcast.com/ to solidify the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CrazyLoon posted:

I am so making a very goony hype vid around this show, before it starts up for the last time.

60 seconds of coat close ups and Vane's abs

• Locked thread