Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

savinhill posted:

Yeah, same here, she's just way too pretty n clean for the Black Sails world, and also just far less colorful and charismatic when compared to most of the other characters. I really don't feel like seeing Eleanor vs Vane and Eleanor vs Max again, she already got completely owned by them at last season's end and I was hoping it would stay that way.

Welcome to the entire point of her character. She's absolutely right in everything she says, but it doesn't matter because semi-retarded sea thugs aren't the best people to grasp the tenets of basic nation building. And people like her are going to brutally murder every single one of the charismatic figures you love. Most of those middle class killers are boring men of no real note. Woodes Rogers kind of interesting, but most of the rest are just.....guys doing their job. Max knows the score, as she says it's why she stays in the whorehouse. When civilization comes back, she will lose everything and they will just call her a whore. None of these men win their fight against civilization, and most of them even know it. Now this being a historically flavored drama that's also kind of a prequel to Treasure Island, and not a biography of the great pirates of Nassau, they aren't tied to strict timelines and facts. They've been mixing things up a bit....but not that much really. Benjamin Hornigold really did turn pirate hunter and end up in a storm around the time of this episode, so it's not even like they invented that for dramatic purposes. Real life was dramatic enough that they aren't going to need to spice it up too much. No matter how close or how far they get from how things really went though, the outcome is going to be the same. People like Eleanor will find a way to adapt, and people like Max and Vane....will not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Aphrodite posted:

Max is doing a super bad fake French accent.

We call them "Canadians".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Tokubetsu posted:

If you want to sell him on it all you need to say is that by the end of season one the kill count is about as high as Black Sails is right now. Praise Wanheda.

Show goes from gorgeous kids in a YA adventure to brutal by the end of the second or third episode.

Black Sails kind of chickenshit, never had any of it's leads slowly torture babies to death. The 100 goes hard.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I mean at worst Treasure Island told you Billy didn't die back in season 1. Otherwise there's not much it can give away.

Well I mean technically you know that Flint, Billy, Silver are somewhat untouchable. The basic foundation of Treasure Island would be "Flint buries treasure, Billy has map, Silver wants to get it", so even if they ignore the fate of Flint in the novel they probably aren't going to go so far as to take him out before he buries the treasure. Really though, what's it matter? Maybe he can't die, but they've certainly put Flint through a lot. They could put him through even more before the end. Just because death might be off the table doesn't take away that much dramatic weight, especially considering it's rare for him to be in a threatening situation where none of the other crew are either. So even if there is someone that thinks they might kill him, I doubt there is anyone that thinks they'll kill off Billy and Silver too.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Aren't the princess and billy bones married in treasure island?

Silver has an African wife.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Even that last part of Vane's story, summed up in "try'd, convicted, and executed" is kind of amazing, because between being caught and thrown and jail and the time he actually died drat near a year passed. That is pretty much unheard of. Nobody in the world thought Charles Vane was innocent of anything, probably including his mother seconds after he left the womb. He basically just had an extra year to rot in jail before they finally put him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Well I finally got around to playing Assassin's Creed IV and I must say it feels very much like "Black Sails: The Game". Either that or Black Sails is "Assassin's Creed IV: The TV Show". Did either one rip off the other? I enjoy both very much (with the exception of the Templar vs. Assassin plot in the game which leaves me cold, or the modern day computer hacker stuff).

Did the show based on Treasure Island, a hundred and thirty year old book, rip off a video game?

No.

No it didn't.

• Locked thread