Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

The Motherfucking Coat of Legend

Black Sails returns on January 23, 2016 on Starz.

A prequel to the classic Robert Louis Stevenson novel "Treasure Island," "Black Sails" is a pirate adventure that centers on the tales of Captain Flint, who has a reputation throughout the West Indies as being the most brilliant, most feared of all the Golden Age pirates. It's 1715, and as Flint fights for the survival of New Providence Island -- a debauched paradise teeming with pirates, prostitutes, thieves and fortune seekers -- in the wake of threats from British and Spanish forces, he aligns himself with Eleanor Guthrie, daughter of the local kingpin, to hunt the ultimate prize and ensure his people's survival. But standing in the way are rival captains, Eleanor's intrusive father, and perhaps the bigger obstacle of all: John Silver, a young, fast-talking, authority-flouting sailor recently added to Flint's crew.

The characters:

Captain Flint
Played by Toby Stephens

A former British naval officer, disgraced and betrayed, he is now the grim face of death in the West Indies.
Last seen: Escaping his hanging, shooting Ashe, and teaming up with Vane. All while wearing The Coat.

Captain Chales Vane
Played by Zach McGowan

Allied with former enemies, Vane is forced to betray his own values. For him, the costs of defending Nassau continue to mount. Is he strong enough to survive what's coming?
Last seen: Helping Flint escape, losing control of the fort, and showing Eleanor what effigies are all about.

Eleanor Guthrie
Played by Hannah New

Exiled from her home and sentenced to hang, Eleanor is now London's most notorious convict. She is granted the opportunity to return to Nassau in service to its new governor, but her survival hinges on one question: can she let go of the past?
Last seen: Releasing the daughter of the governor of South Carolina, finding out about effigies and her father's death.

Captain Jack Rackham
Played by Toby Schmitz

Sitting atop a mountain of Spanish gold, Rackham is finally in a position to win friends, secure his reputation and preserve Nassau for the ages. But when civilization returns to reclaim its island, he will learn that money can only buy so much...

Mr. Scott
Played by Hakeem Kae-Kazim

More than anyone, Scott recognizes the perils that Nassau faces without Eleanor Guthrie. With the ground shifting beneath his feet, he must make a decision to protect that which he truly loves.
Last seen: Pirating it up, trying to talk some loving sense into everyone.

John Silver
Played by Luke Arnold

He was once an outcast, but Silver is now the beloved quartermaster of Flint's crew. But when Flint's campaign of terror crosses over into madness, it falls to Silver to locate the man within the monster, before it's too late.

Anne Bonny
Played by Clara Paget

A beacon of loyalty in a sea of shifting alliances, Anne Bonny is caught between her partnership with Rackham and her love for Max. But, when an upheaval on the island forces unpleasant truths to surface, she must choose once and for all where, and with whom, she belongs.

Billy Bones
Played by Tom Hopper

Still distrustful of his leadership, Billy must put aside his feelings for the sake of his crew's survival. But when a new front opens on the war on civilization, Billy sees a different role for himself. One where he need never be beholden to Flint again.
Last seen: Lying about murder. Flexing those amazing forearms. :quagmire:

Max
Played by Jessica Parker Kennedy

With Eleanor exiled, Max is now the nexus between the pirates and the street, a position of great power and influence. But, when the return of civilization threatens to unseat her, Max sets a plan in motion that will have dire consequences for the island, as well as her relationship with Anne Bonny.
Last seen: Frolicking in the piles of Spanish gold with Anne and Rackham, while wearing slightly more modest dresses.

Woodes Rogers
Played by Luke Roberts

The new face of civilization in the West Indies, Woodes Rogers arrives in Nassau backed by immense power. He is armed with an insidious plan to end piracy for good.

Miranda Barlow
Played by Louise Barnes

DEAD.

And lest we forget the new addition this season:

Edward Teach
Played by Ray Stevenson

One of the most notorious pirates to have ever lived, Edward Teach ALSO KNOWN AS BLACKBEARD returns to the account to settle some unfinished business. But, a great deal has changed in his absence, and to cement his legacy, he will have to challenge Nassau's most powerful at sea, on land, and at the end of a sword.

It's reported that the budget has been increased for this season, so here's hoping for more insane ship battles.

Once again, the third season premiers on Starz on January 23, 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I've been waiting for this show to come back so I can get my gratuitous pirate nudity.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Just watched the season premier, and I have to say, it was a very good episode. It set up the third season nicely while reminding you of the important elements from the previous seasons.

I really loved the set up with the empty ship and the captain who went mad and killed himself.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

I was hoping that season 3 was the season that Jack would finally do something about that facial hair, but nah.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Phenotype posted:

So, uh, who's in charge of Nassau in the present day? Is...is it a democratic group of colorful pirates and con artists? :ohdear:

Technically, Woodes Rogers once he gets there, but England has sent him to govern. In the mean time, yeah, it's a Pirate Playhouse.

Toby Stephens and Luke Arnold were loving amazing in this episode. #2 was a really intense episode, and I can only hope it keeps getting better this season.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

spronk posted:

It was the Jolly Roger flag that Hornigold found and not THE COAT, right? Couldn't tell from the shot.

Reading Treasure Island right now, first time ever read it - everyone I mention that to says they read it in high school, what kind of lazy rear end high school did I attend :( Loving all the references to Black Sails characters in it, got ahold of a couple of non fiction pirate history books to go through next like The Republic of Pirates and Under the Black Flag.

It was Flint's Jolly Roger, probably lost when he cut the top sail free due to the storm.

The coat is safe.

Rocksicles posted:

Flint's PTSD is masterfully shot.

I couldn't agree more. It's simply a stunningly bleak portrait of a man losing it.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Another amazing episode. Toby Stephens is so loving good as Flint. He's intense and unhinged and watching him slowly crumble is by far the best part of the season. Max and Anne dividing the gold was heartbreaking, too.

And finally, finally we get shirtless Silver :swoon:

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Flint's speech about how Billy lies to himself about being able to escape through strength, and how Silver lies to himself about being able to escape through talking, and how he, Flint, just accepts the truth was SO loving HEART BREAKING.

My God, Toby Stephens is so supremely amazing.

Also the sound kicks rear end. Good work!

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

I thought this was a pretty good episode. I liked Silver and the Princess' bit where she told him that it is not weakness to accept help. I feel like that is going to come back around with Silver again in the future.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Roach Warehouse posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't historical Rackham one of the primary inspirations for Jack Sparrow?

He's mentioned by the writers of "Pirates of the Caribbean" as being one of the inspirations for Sparrow, along with most of the characters from "Treasure Island." Then Depp just mashed in some Keith Richards and Pepe LePew and voila.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Woodes has such a sweet rear end.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Rackham was loving amazing in this episode. I just wish they'd get rid of the cheek stripe facial hair on him, it's hard to take him seriously with those smudges on his face.

I actually said "You mother fucker!" when Rogers shot Vane.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

CODChimera posted:

Vane getting captured was a bit forced.

Agreed, but it created tension and allows Flint to "repay" Vane for last season's rescue.

I'm really enjoying Silver and the Princess, it's a better and more believable growing love story than Eleanor and Rogers.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Tighclops posted:

That rescue sequence truly was some next level poo poo, and Jack's speech just prior just solidified him as my favourite character. Eat the rich, Jack!

Seriously this show just keeps upping the game with these action sequences, drat

Jack's speech was amazing. I think that the writers are getting better and better at crafting dialogue that suits the actors naturally.

VagueRant posted:

Wait, you mean you weren't entirely on the side of the badass Woodes Rogers who totally could've beat up Charles Vane had he not just been in a car crash and did all of it in a loving cravat?

He's the best character in the show right now.

I like Rogers. I appreciate the complicated leader role he has, he's a softer shade of gray in comparison to Flint's gray DARKEST VOID OF BLACKNESS.

Aphrodite posted:

The circumstances of Vane's death are already dramatic enough that it would be a shame not to use how he died for real.

Yeah, no poo poo. The whole lead up to his death is pretty intense and dramatic, and it'd be a huge waste to not use the real story.

I wonder if Rogers is going to try to turn Vane over to the Spanish saying that he stole the gold/is Rackham.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

:suspense: for the entire episode.

I did NOT see that coming. Holy poo poo, this show keeps getting better and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

nate fisher posted:

I was able to handle her the first season, but since it has been awful. The pacing of speech is like something out of a high school play. I am sure she is fine actress, but as Max, I think she is miscast (also the writing is to blame). I groan every time she is on screen now.

She speaks in a fairly monotone manner. I guess it's her attempt at sounding serious and resolute, but it just flatly moves along whenever she has especially long monologues.

I really did not see Vane's death coming. Who is going to fill that "voice so gravelly it sounds like he gargled with broken glass" quota on the show, now?

• Locked thread