Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Can I ask you guys a quick question about wiring? My wife and I want to get one of those newfangled wifi thermostats, but our HVAC is old as hell, so we don't have a CWire. I looked at the wiring diagram and it looks like there are a couple of blade terminals marked with a C. Should I be able to use one of those? For reference we are looking at the ecobee3 and our HVAC is a Rheem RRNL series. The wiring diagram I have matches the one on page 66 of this manual. http://www.rheem.com/docs/fetchDocument.aspx?id=136817f5-50d5-4346-b5b9-c1d235364323

The unit is on the roof, so I haven't gotten a chance to actually look at the control board itself, other than through the diagrams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

My understanding was that the ecobee3 does require a C wire. It does include a kit that lets you operate without running a whole new wire, but you still have to hook the power extender up to the C wire terminal at the control board.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Thanks for the information! The battery on the ecobee is just for maintaining the settings in case of a power outage. It won't run for more than a few days without power.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I know my Rheem system's manual states that it is not compatible with "power stealing thermostats" and it was installed in 1998.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Same. I think it's the same sort of appeal that any new gadgetry has for some people, with the added feature of possibly saving money.

The one thing I think a programmable tsat could use, is an outside temp sensor. I know some have it just so it can display outdoor temp on the tstat, but afaik none of them incorporate the information into its operational threshold.

If I'm wrong about that, somebody let me know, cause I'd install one.

Supposedly the ecobee takes weather forecasts into account as part of the smart recovery feature.