Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Alereon posted:

Are variable capacity heat pumps a thing for residential forced air systems? It would seem nice to be able to pump a lot of heat on cold days without aux heat but not be oversized for the summer.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but heat pumps and reverse cycle a/c are the same thing, right? And that should mean a variable capacity heat pump is the same as inverter reverse cycle a/c. If so, we just had a 14kW reverse cycle ducted Panasonic inverter system installed a couple months ago, and it's awesome. Will do from 3.3 - 15.5kW of cooling, and 4.1 - 18kw of heating, max actual power draw of around 5.5kW or so. Has no problem keeping our poorly insulated 1980s house cool here in Perth even in temps above 40C, and the power draw when it's idling at night is only around 600W or so. I could see the temp range of -20C to 46C being a problem in places like the midwestern US, but it's perfect here where temps never drop below 0C.

It's great combined with the 5kW of solar I had installed at the same time, on all but the hottest days the power draw of the A/C is lower than the generation of my solar panels (thanks to the inverter that doesn't need to cycle on and off), so it often costs me nothing to run. Compared to what my power costs would be without solar, the panels will pay for themselves in about 3-4 years.

Here's a good example of the power draw I see with my reverse cycle inverter:

You can see where I turn it on just after 9AM (black line), and then it ramps up and down throughout the day, peaking in the late afternoon at the hottest temp, then ramping down during the evening as the house cools. Most of the day it stays under my solar production (green section)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU