Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I installed one of those add-a-wire kits and it seemed to work great for about week. Then last night the AC would kick on, there'd be a weird buzzing sound, and then 30 seconds later it would kick off. It kept doing this until finally it just stopped altogether.

I cracked open the furnace to find that it has a 5A automotive fuse in there, and sure enough, it was blown.

A quick trip to the store for a box of fuses, I replace the fuse, power everything back up and the fuse blows immediately.

Thinking it's the add-a-wire doing it, I remove it and switch back to the old battery powered thermostat.

Power it back up and boom. fuse blows again. (That's 3!)

Now I'm a bit worried as I'm almost out of fuses, and no clue what the gently caress is going on. I check the terminals on both end and ensure there's no shorts or anything. Everything looks fine. Fan works fine on manual mode. Furnace kicks on and heats just fine. So it has to be the AC unit outside.

I tested it by removing the wire leading to the AC unit from the Y terminal, and power it back on. Set it to cool, the fan kicks on, everything is fine! Making progress here, right?

So I go outside to check the AC unit and this is what I find:

Yeah, that's the wire, someone stripped off the external insulation, and then apparently wrapped it with electrical tape where it was severed. Repeatedly. Overzealous landscaper is my guess, but what a lovely fix.

I ran a fresh length of cable to the unit and spliced it in as best I could, heatshrink tubing around the splices and then gave it a good covering of electrical tape. Think that will be enough? I'm not eager to rip open the unit if I can avoid it.

Do you think it's safe to put the Add-a-wire and the fancy Tstat back in?

Also, I should probably replace that insulation on the coolant tube, right? Is that something any jackass who isn't afraid to tinker with poo poo (like me) can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU