Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are the high velocity products like SpacePak any good?

The AC/furnace in my house is pretty old, and very poorly installed (to give you an idea... gravity is the only thing holding the furnace onto the ductwork in the slab, you can push the furnance around whereever you want. Also, they didn't bother to cut the refrigerant lines to size, so there's tons of slack sprawling across the attic).

We also know the ductwork in our house is lovely. It's all run under the slab, and I was able to get a camera down there. There's tons of raw exposed concrete and so much dust. We also have a (not-very) mysterious spot on the kitchen floor that gets either warm or cold depending on if the AC/furnace is running. I'm assuming the ductwork is a total loss, I haven't been able to find any way of fixing it short of jackhammering up the slab.

I'm assuming that replacing all the ductwork with high velocity stuff would be cheaper then standard ductwork (half the house is accessible via the attic, the other half would require dropping the ceiling drywall).

I'm in NJ, so heating and cooling are both requirements... I'm not sure how much a heat pump would be able to keep up.

devicenull fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

borkencode posted:

Yeah, switch is on (I've turned it off an on again). I do have a multimeter, but didn't try checking anything on the inside, I'll see if I can figure out which wires should be 120 volts.

Sometimes people put a sensor on the condensate line, so that if it backs up the furnace turns off rather then flooding your house. I think they're usually inline with the thermostat power supply.

Also you might have a switch on the furnace that kills power if the panels are off. Look for a button around the edges.

Two hours of troubleshooting are responsible for me knowing both of these things.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alereon posted:

I was looking at a dehumidifier because we have cool, humid days where I can't really turn the AC on (or can't turn it any lower) to reduce humidity while maintaining an acceptable temperature. We also have some very dry days in the winter, hence considering the humidifier. Installing both seems like an inelegant solution, that's why I was wondering if there were any boxes that would just monitor the humidity and keep it within a set normal range.

Is your house still humid when your AC is running? It sounds like your AC might be dramatically oversized, so it's not able to dehumidify before it hits the target temperature.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ripoff posted:

Hooking up the wire isn't a problem, I could honestly probably fish some fishing line through the existing hole and stretch some 20 gauge wire in there in a matter of 15 minutes. Getting access to the drat HVAC unit to connect it is the big problem, as they literally have it behind a locked door.

I'm actually kind of hoping that the water heater (also in there) explodes/develops a major leak while I'm here, so I can call the company and watch as my neighbors get their ceilings and personal poo poo ruined as the apartment complex scrambles to find a maintenance guy with a key. :downs: Hell, I'd bribe them all day if I could find one of the guys around here, but they're rarely, if ever, to be found.

What kind of lock? Bumping some locks isn't exactly hard....

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Does EcoBee actually require the fifth wire to work? Nest recommends it but generally works fine on a standard 3/4 wire system. It connects a small amount of power through that's not enough to trigger the system in most cases but is enough to charge.

Yes, it does.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Well then, good and moderately annoying to know. I was considering switching over to one because I hear they're easier to integrate with homebrew scripts and such, but I only have four wires.

They come with a thing you can use: https://www.ecobee.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ecobee3_InstallationGuide.pdf (page 11). You install it in the furnace, and it magically turns 4 wires into 5!

I used it despite running new cable for our thermostat, because I saw some reports that the relays in the ecobee can heat it up so it stops registering temperature properly. The PEK moves those relays into the furnace.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So, NJ has some incentives for energy efficiency (50% rebate up to some amount, 0% interest loans). I was initially going to use these just to get our attic insulation upgraded... but then I took a look at our air conditioning.

The label on our condenser looks something like this:

So, manufactured in 89, uses R22. I'm somewhat amazed it still works. Any guesses on the SEER rating, or is it too old to be rated like that?

Am I correct in assuming we're living on borrowed time with this?

Is the fact that all my ductwork is in the slab going to be a problem?

devicenull fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 6, 2017

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

glynnenstein posted:

That would come in around an 8 SEER.

I wouldn't suggest you should count on that lasting much longer but it happens. I'm out of residential stuff these days but I saw an 1984 system in 2016. Alot depends on the install location and maintenance. Did you have it serviced and the pressures checked? Are there obvious signs of deterioration?

We've only lived here ~1 year at this point. We had someone come look at the furnace, but not the AC.

The initial install seems to have been shoddy:
* The condenser is installed way too close to the house (I couldn't get a clean picture of the label, there's an inch or two between the condenser and the house).
* They didn't cut the lines to the right length, so they're just kinda looped in the attic.
* The condensate pump is plugged in by poking a hole in the drywall and running the cord through.
* The coil appears to be completely inaccessible, and probably hasn't been cleaned since the furnace was replaced (in 2004)... and hopefully it was cleaned then. I cut some of the ducting to get to it, it had a nice thick mat of dust on the side I could see.
* Duck tape is used on various ducts.
* I believe the outer frame here is mostly cosmetic, but it's pretty rusty:

It managed to work all summer though, and seemed to cool the house pretty well!

Based on what we've found, the previous owners did the minimum necessary maintenance. I'd be fairly surprised if they had done anything to it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSims posted:

Also, what with that time box thing hanging off the side?

I believe it's some kind of load shedding device, that the previous owners opted into. The program no longer appears to be active, so I never bothered removing it.

Saving some trivial amount on your power bill for a few months a year (from what I found, it was like $5 for 3-4 months), to not have your AC working at peak times does not sound like a good tradeoff.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sanchez posted:

As someone with heat pumps and ecobees, you really should. They allow you to be very spergy about the aux heat settings and the graphs and monitoring in the web portal is very useful for tweaking them. I have our max aux heat set to 28f and aux heat temp differential set to 2f, so it wont' come on at all unless its <28 outside and >2f below the set point inside. I found it was better to do that and barely turn the heat down at night (70 daytime, 68 night) than do a big setback and have it run for hours trying to bring the house back up to temp. If your coil is upstream of the aux heat strips in the air handler, ecobee will also allow you to run the aux heat and compressor simultaneously which supposedly helps efficiency a bit.

I'm curious why you would only be able to run both if the coil is upstream?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do heat pumps ever really make sense when natural gas is available? I've been playing around with heatcalc.xls, and it seems that it's always more expensive to heat with a heat pump.

We pay $0.82/therm, and $0.16/kWh, so it doesn't seem like it would make any sense to switch. We'd probably still need a furnace to deal with the cold days (electrical resistance heating seems like a terrible idea), so it's not like we'd be saving any money on that.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Unless you've already performed or had someone perform a blower door test, you're probably looking at an uphill battle in terms of saving yourself tons of money by just throwing a heat pump (or most appliances outside of water heaters) at your house. The buildling shell (well-fitted insulation, sealant foam in all the holes drilled in studs and sheathing where wires and plumbing run through, checking the crawlspace and attic) are all what you should shoudl get done before you start playing around with online heat calculators. If you don't know the difference between a thermal bypass and an air bypass or latent versus sensible heat, then I suggest you check out Residential Energy: Cost Savings and Comfort for Existing Buildings (you can get a copy from https://www.residential-energy.com or check with your local used bookstore for an old copy, and there's some iffy-legally-speaking copies online of some older editions), or simply find someone to come and perform a residential energy use index and energy audit on your home.

First off for instance, you'd want to know how to calculate your heating and cooling degree days over a minimum of a three-year period (with utility bills for at least one year or more as well), to figure out what kind of HVAC system would be the most appropriate for your home.. Then you can easily decide which solution would be optimal. (HDDs and poo poo for whatever your locale, can be found on the EPA website, iirc - somewhere near the portfolio manager tools.)

Ultimately though, it comes down to your own personal use of the building, your schedule, and a lot of personal minutiae which are kind of hard for anyone to professionally go through and point out as ways to save - because residential customers hate to change their usage habits so even with super-efficient appliances and a tight shell, the savings to investment (SIR) ratio of a residential upgrade is iffy at best - which is why utilities are often more interested in giving incentives to commercial buildings rather than private residential clients.

Thanks! We're currently getting quotes for air sealing + blown in insulation in the attic. We have what's original to the house (from the 60s), where it's present at all... a bunch of it got removed due to water damage or terrible decay. I'm still waiting on the results of the energy audit.

We know our AC is from 1989 and uses R22, so replacement in the near future seems pretty likely. I'd prefer to do it on my terms (rather then waiting for failure), especially when I can get a $10k interest free loan from the state for it.

One of the big reasons for thinking about a heat pump was that we may end up getting solar panels in the next few years... it seemed that would end up giving us "free" heat for a good part of the year.

I'm not really thinking we'd ever see a payback here, the average temperature here last month was 37F according to my bill, and we only ended up using $100 in gas (and it should go down even more, now that I realized I have a failed ecobee sensor that thought we were home all day so it never lowered the setpoint). Unless a heat pump were only a few hundred more then AC alone, I doubt we'd ever get a significant payback from it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

If nobody ever mentions the words "blower door test" and they're claiming to be coming in to seal your home by :barf: a bunch of blown-in insulation into your attic, run far and run fast. A 60s-70s-era home's shell is going to be absolutely porous with 1" to 4" holes drilled all over in the studs, etc. You're throwing around some terminology I'm not yet familiar with such as the R22 (which appears to be an outdated model of AC unit which shits ozone everywhere or something), and unless you've been doing a lot of personal homework I'd be curious where you heard that name-dropped, because I've taken a couple dozen credits and never heard that come up (yet, hands-on HVAC maintenance is next term).

Where do you live, state, county, elevation? Hearing about your temps in the last month isn't a ton that's helpful to work off of however, it sounds as though you either avoided the extreme cold front waves that've been shocking a lot of areas in N America (if you aren't being flooded or blown to Oz, of course), and without knowing where you live or at least what kind of climate you exist in year-round, I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing my limited knowledge in a vacuum and it then being applied to somewhere it wasn't super-appropriate for. I live in the PNW and am much more familiar with heating-based climate rigors, but as long as I can look it up on the epa.org website (if Trump hasn't nuked it yet) I can probably find out what your average daily temps were for the last few decades. ;)

I will try not to name-drop any stuff which is not free and/or publically accessible, btw. the EPA's Portfolio Manager is free to everyone, and it's really easy to mess around with. If you own multiple properties, it's worth spending an hour or two poking around in it.

edit: for those who haven't looked it up already, a "blower door test" is where they literally stick a bigass fan the size of a door and then vent it out of your home and then gauge the pressure sifferential coming from inside, with what the fan COULD be blowing at if it wasn't bottlenecked... If you didn't have a crew come out to your house for an hour or three and gently caress with a ~3'x7' in an extrenal entry door, then it didn't get done.

Hah, I'm surprised you have't heard about R22 yet. It's a old refrigerant that's not produced anymore (because it's terrible for the ozone layer). Prices have shot up dramatically these days, and it's apparently getting harder to find. Go back a page or two here, and you can find pics of my ancient AC.

We had one place come out and do a blower door test.. I think the number they gave me was around 750cfm (but I haven't received the final report, so I'm not completely sure). They were talking about air sealing *before* doing the blown in. I've already done a bunch of that (I've gone through 5 of the 24oz spray foam cans already), and I'm confident that's part of what they're going to do.

I'm in the middle of NJ, and the state currently has some incentives - http://www.njcleanenergy.com/hp . My house is 1400sqft, on a slab.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

So you have existing ductwork and want to........tear it out? That doesn't make a lot of sense. HVLP systems are pretty much designed for retrofits into places where normal ducting would be too large/obtrusive. See the other post about ceiling fans. And the other one about how noisy HVLP systems can be.

Having an old R22 unit is not a reason to do anything more than replace the inside/outside units and have someone go through your ductwork to make sure it's properly sealed still (hint: it's not if it's that old).

Nah, you confused me with someone else. We were actually considering new ductwork (all ours is buried in the slab... fun), but not really seriously.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Ahhh, that makes much more sense then. Yes, for a poo poo show ductwork runs HVLP is probably a trade-off that is worth making. Just make drat sure you have the right installers, because the noise can be largely mitigated by a properly balanced install. Most setups that are super noisy don't have sufficient return capacity in enough places.

If we ever get the ducts moved, it seems pretty straightforward (assuming we run it all in the attic, and do ceiling registers). Only one floor, attic is pretty easily accessed. One major upgrade at a time though...

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So, dumb question... My house has two returns, a big one near the furnace, and a small one way off in the back of the house. The big one has a filter on it, but the small one doesn't. I had my head shoved up in the big one, and noticed the flex duct going to the small one is caked in dust.

Should I have some type of filter on the small return? Back when we bought the house, the home inspector said it was normal to not have a filter there... but we've since found out he was a complete idiot.

The small return is only 12x6ish, and I think it has 5 inch flex duct.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MRC48B posted:

Do you have a filter on the furnace itself?

The answer is always filter return air.

If possible I would just replace the flex, rather than try to clean it, and put a filter-grill on the return.

No, there's a filter on the main return grille and that's it. Replacing the flex might be feasible, but tricky. The return is in the attic, but there's not really enough head room to make it to where the return is.

It might actually be easier to replace it with metal... I could make up a big ~15 ft section, and just push it through the attic. Attaching to where the existing return is might be a little tricky.

lovely mspaint:

devicenull fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 18, 2017

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

I'd be really interested in observing it because I have no experience however, I'd assume it'd at minimum be the equivalent of drilling two wells, which means that poo poo will get tore up.

Also have you looked at how much work would be involved in running fluid-filled pipes around your home, in order to condition the air? I've seen a couple/few geothermal systems in place and the piping is pretty substantial - I dunno if I'd even consider trying to retrofit it into a small/medium home unless you want to tear a LOT of stuff up, I'd assume..?

Err, I thought geothermal usually involves a water->air heat exchanger. So it's basically the same as a normal forced air heater, as far as heating/cooling the house goes.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

and we have another bedroom that's on the opposite side of the house that is always warm in the summer due to its distance from the air handler.

Ecobee might help with your one bedroom, but it's going to be at the expense of making everything else in your house colder. Insulation/air sealing may be a better solution there.

quote:

Also, should I "definitely" replace our air handler / gas furnace at the same time, given that we're planning to live here a while?
If it's an old 80% efficient system, then upgrading it to a higher efficiency one at the same time is probably worth it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Steampunk Hitler posted:

I have something weird going on with one of the thermostats in my house and I can’t for the life of me figure out what it is.

For some background, I have two completely independent HVAC systems in my house each controlled by their own ecobee3 thermostat. We’ve had the two thermostats for about a year and a half now, but we’ve just recently completely replaced both HVAC systems with brand new ones that are two stage heating and cooling.

Now we’re having two problems with our upstairs ecobee (and only he upstairs one). The first problem is that we’ve noticed sometimes the ecobee seems to get stuck on a temperature (in this case 66, with the heat set at 67) and the temperature upstairs just gets hotter and hotter until we finally relent and turn the AC on, at which point it starts cooling off and the temperature on the thermostat starts rising finally. This has just started happening recently (I’m not sure if it was happening before the replacement of the HVAC or not but I think it started happening around the same time).

The second problem occurred today, when the furnace was running second stage heat and it got stuck again, this time at 65. However I couldn’t turn on the air to 64 because the min temperature for the AC is 65, so instead I just turned the thermostat off and figured it would just cool itself off. 30-40 minutes later I’m noticing that not only does it not feel like it’s cooling off, but it feels like it’s even hotter now. I take a look at the ecobee and it agrees it is set to off, but it also says that 2nd stage heat is still running. At this point I go to the basement and just turn off that entire furnace to get it to stop roasting me.

I called ecobee support and they blamed the second problem on the furnace. They said that the tstat signals the furnace to stop but if it doesn’t stop there is nothing they can do about that. On the surface that seems reasonable but when I thought about it more the ecobee was indicating on the display that 2nd stage heat was on. It is my understanding that the way a HVAC system works the furnace doesn’t have any way to tell the thermostat this, and the thermostat just calls for heat by completing the circuit on two of the wires (and you can override this by twisting the two wires together bypassing a tstat entirely). Is that accurate? If so it seems to me that the ecobee *must* have been calling for 2nd stage heat for it say that 2nd stage heat was running on the tstat indicator (and it was indeed running).

There are thermostats that communicate with the furnance, but the ecobee works exactly the way you're saying here (essentially twisting wires together). The ecobee has no idea what the furnace is actually doing.. just what the ecobee is telling it to do. If it said 2nd stage heat, then the ecobee was telling the furnace 2nd stage heat.

The temperature issue is pretty weird though. Do you have any of the remote sensors connected? Maybe try removing them if so?

Is there a massive hole behind the ecobee where the wires come out? I'm wondering if your furnace is somehow pulling air from the attic or basement when it's running, through the hole behind the thermostat.. making the thermostat unaware of what temperature it is.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Seeing as it's persisted across two different systems (complete changeout - furnace, condenser, etc; wiring and ductwork are the only things that remained the same), and only happens on the AC side, I'm very heavily leaning toward the Nest being the issue. I was basically just looking for confirmation that the Nest was hosed. Current system is just as basic as the original early 80s system - single stage electric heat, single stage 2.5 ton refrigerated ac, plus fan control.

drat thing was hilariously inaccurate anyway. The basic Honeywell keeps the place a lot more consistent, and thus, more comfortable.

Yup, it's RGWY. Adding a C isn't much of an option; the existing wire is stapled to studs. I could MAYBE fish new wire into the wall (I can get a little into that space via the return air duct), but it's more trouble than it's worth, to be honest. Plus, I rent, and as it is, the landlord tried to blame the old system dying on the Nest. It probably hastened its demise with the relay chattering, but the existing unit kept popping the breaker from the day I moved in until it went out, and went through 5 start caps in less than a year (it kept popping the breaker after "maintenance" kept throwing in larger and larger breakers on the same 12 gauge wire... they got up to a 50 amp breaker at one point, dataplate on the old system said max 20 amp breaker). I only had the Nest connected for about 6 months of that.

The issue has persisted across 2 systems now (entire HVAC was changed out this spring), and only happens when the AC is on. So I'm just gonna go with hosed Nest. I'm on a weird rear end power plan where if I use more power (well, between 1000-1500 kwh, which is a LOT for a 1 bedroom apartment), I get a huge discount on my electric bill, so in my case, the Nest was more just so I could control it without getting my fatass out of bed, off the couch, etc - not for saving energy.

Things like these exist: https://www.amazon.com/Venstar-ACC0410-Wire-Accessory-Thermostats/dp/B01IF3QXMC/

The Ecobee thermostats come with something similar.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

iForge posted:

Sometimes you can smell some burning dust the first few times you run a gas heater for the season. If you smell gas or fumes get a qualified hvac guy to check your heat exchanger for cracks sooner than later, if you smell fumes, you could be breathing carbon monoxide.

As far as your first question, where do you live? Us knowing the current outdoor air temperature for your area is important for the answer you want

Also buy a carbon monoxide detector if you don't already have one.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nwiniwn posted:

I posted earlier that I have an ecobee thermostat installed on a system with natural gas for heating through a furnace (American Standard Freedom-95 Comfort R) and an electrical AC system (Furnace in the basement, AC unit outside).

Anyways, looking at the options, it gives me something where I can select the minimum fan run time per hour in Auto mode (min/hr). Why would I want this? What does having the fan running actually do, as far as heating is concerned? Right now it's set for 0 as a minimum.

It lets you equalize the temperatures of your house a bit more. So if you've got a room that has sucky insulation, running the fan for at least 20 minutes an hour might help the temperature of that room match the rest of the house.

Apparently you don't actually want to use that when you're using the AC. It'll dry out the AC coil, making your house more humid.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is 7 inch flex duct common? I'm trying to repair the previous owners fuckup of using duct tape to affix flex duct to rigid in the attic

I bought an 8 inch worm clamp, which was too big (it got down to about 7.25 inches at the smallest).

I then bought a 6 inch worm clamp, which was way too small (at about 6.8 inches at max size)

This is above the ceiling, and the only access method was cutting a hole in it, so I'd prefer to do something permanent. I was avoiding large zip ties because I didn't know how long they'd last in the heat of the attic.

I think this is probably the size I need https://www.lowes.com/pd/6-1-16-in-to-7-in-dia-Stainless-Steel-Adjustable-Clamp/3878536

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

How big of a deal is two-speed operation? My girlfriend's brother and sister-in-law just moved in to a new place that has a two speed Carrier HVAC system but only a classic round Honeywell thermostat. Would upgrading to a fancier thermostat that can take advantage of that be worthwhile? It's probably only wired for four conductors at this point but there's easy wiring access from the basement so it wouldn't be more than an hour or so to run a new line.

Also if we were to do that, would ethernet cable be acceptable or would we be better off getting something thicker? Obviously the colors wouldn't match but I have a sheet of those flag stickers that come with a Nest.

Furnaces can usually be set to handle two speed operation by themselves (run at a slower speed for awhile, then kick up to high speed if there's still demand). Changing it probably wouldn't do a lot for you.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheBananaKing posted:

Whole house dehumidifying. Anyone have any brand recommendations? The Santa Fe stuff looks nice and reasonable priced. Are they reliable?

I'm also wondering about differences in efficiency of an isolated unit sitting in a basement/crawlspace vs. one with a dedicated return on the main floor that ties into the ducting. Theoretically, it should all even out, but I have a vented crawlspace connected to the unfinished basement and I'd rather focus of removing the humidity from the living quarters first... does what I just said actually make any sense? I'm in MD and we had some loving wild and crazy rain this past year, with the hygrometer in our living room breaking 80% RH on more than one occasion. :barf: This will not stand and I need to do something to fix it before my solid hardwood floors explode this year.

I have an Ultra-Aire 70H (same manufacturer as Sylvane afaik). I'm only about 18 months in, but I haven't had any issues with it yet. Mines up in the attic, and pulls air from the house and outputs it into the ductwork.

It's definitely made a big difference comfort wise, the only thing to keep in mind is you'll be running AC more due to the heat (which is fine, since that also helps dehumdifiy).

It's possible that sealing up your crawlspace + basement and getting a dehumidifier there would solve your problems. We're on a slab, so I don't really have any idea.

I'd suggest maybe call up Sylvane and ask them. One of their employees posts in the IAQ part of hvac-talk.com a lot, he usually has pretty helpful advice (username teddy bear)

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

STR posted:

My apartment complex has on-site maintenance, so it's just the hourly labor for a callback. But maintenance does get scored on callbacks (also surveys from residents).

They dropped the old relay on their way out though. Looked it up, turns out it's a Goodman time-delay relay. I always thought this thing had some kind of fancy control circuitry to handle the delay, but no, it's basically a sealed/beefier version of a 70s garage door opener thermal relay (the kind they used for the light). I got bored and took it apart; the bimetallic part is fine, but I can't get it to close unless I really hulk on the pin that the bimetallic disc was pressing on (pushing the pin further than where it seems like it should have gone is the only way to get it to close). It also has that lovely burnt electrical smell, so it probably hasn't been making good contact for awhile.

We had a Nest hooked up briefly, and we were having issues with the fan coming on with the AC (or even when we just turned on the fan by itself). Guessing the Nest was passing a little less current and not letting the disc heat up as much. Might try hooking it back up; I'd prefer an Ecobee, but there's only 4 wires running from the air handler to the thermostat. :smith:

Ecobee3 comes with this: https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009155051-Installing-your-ecobee-thermostat-with-the-Power-Extender-Kit-no-C-wire-

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

I just moved into a 3 story townhouse in the DC area last week from Boston and it seems like it's way too hot in this place, namely on the third floor.

When you enter the front door, you're on the main floor (or 2nd technically). Downstairs is a guest room and it's fully finished, so I don't think it's technically a basement, but it is beneath the main floor, so maybe it is. The AC unit is outside on that level and the furnace is inside on that level. The upstairs (3rd level) has the master bedroom and a 2nd bedroom. The house was built in the 90's and I'm not sure when the AC was serviced last.

Right now the thermostat (which is on the main, 2nd level) is set to 73, and the upstairs is 76 degrees. It's 8:30 in the morning. The master bedroom faces west and the 2nd bedroom faces east, so I would assume the 2nd bedroom would get hotter in the morning and the master would get hotter in the evening, due to location of the sun. At night we set the thermostat to 71 degrees but the upstairs will be around 79 degrees, usually only cooling down to 75 or so by 3/4 AM.

For the vents, we have the downstairs (basement) vents closed. All other vents on the 2nd/3rd floors are fully open. We can *barely* feel air movement coming from the vents on the 3rd level when the AC is on. If I open the vents in the basement, it definitely feels like cool air moving, so maybe the AC doesn't need serviced.

I've heard before that being in a 3 story townhouse, it's just going to get hot on the 3rd level due to heat rising, and unless you have an AC with different zones or multiple thermostats, you're kind of stuck. Is that likely the case here?

What can I do to help with this problem? I'm going to install blackout curtains on the 3rd level bedrooms to help with sunlight heating up the places as I currently just have wooden blinds installed and light still leaks through. Remember, I'm renting this place, so while I might be able to get the landlord to service the AC unit, they aren't going to do any modifications to the venting or purchase a new AC unit/multiple zones/etc. Maybe I just need to adjust the temperatures I have the thermostat set at to lower temps? Something like 68 at night and 72 in the morning/day? I have an Ecobee I'm going to install, but I don't think I'll bother with sensors, because all that is going to do is force the unit to run overtime and make the downstairs ice cold while getting the third level where I need it.

What sort of insulation is in your attic? I've found window film like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKM8EG/ helps to block a lot of the heat (and won't turn your place into a cave)

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

Finally got up into the attic and took a few pictures. The last 2 are of the downstairs unit drain system.

Generally everything looks like it's supposed to. Returns look sealed properly. The only thing i'm not sure of is if the drain lines should be capped. My old house had an upflow type A/C unit in a closet in the living area, so that one was capped so it didn't suck air in via the drain. This one is configured differently, and I can feel cool air being pushed out of the first drain line before the p-trap. The primary drain lines drain to a bathroom on the 2nd floor, and the drain lines for the overflow pan are routed outside.

It's been 9 days since the tech was last here, and humidity still has never dipped below 60% inside.

https://imgur.com/a/sH66BrV

What's that thing in the first picture on the far left? It says OPEN, is that a fresh air intake that's stuck open?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The internet seems to suggest delta-T on air conditioning should be 16-22F... mines 15... does this warrant getting someone out to look?

Last year it looks like it was doing 19...ugh, that's probably not good.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gin_Rummy posted:

Fortunately I’ve already got a few attic fans and whirly birds up there. I’m pretty much sold on adding more insulation, however my research has found that this guy might have just been uneducated with respect to the ducting... it’s Goodman/owl flex brand style (which was never meant to be used for this due to UV exposure), and according to a few websites, once that plastic exterior liner goes, you have to replace the ducting or you may have fiberglass blowing through your vents. I think all said and done, I’ll have him blow in the insulation and do the air sealing for me, but I might replace the duct work myself (depending on what a couple of other companies can tell me this week).

How is UV getting into your attic?

Insulated flex duct is a layer of plastic, insulation, and then another layer of plastic. Air only flows through that inner layer, so the outer layer being damaged can't really result in fiberglass getting inside (unless the damage was something that also damaged the inner layer).

See if your electric company has some sort of energy efficiency program... you might be able to get a cheap/free energy audit and get actual data about what the problem is.

You could also check out http://www.bpihomeowner.org/ and see about getting someone to tell you what the actual problem is.

5 inches of insulation (so a single fiberglass batt?) is definitely not going to be enough... https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=home_sealing.hm_improvement_insulation_table

Run far away from option 1.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Looking at replacing my HVAC system before its R-22 system decides to gently caress off into the ozone while it's 110F outside. There are 2 local contractors everyone uses and 1 of them I don't like. I pushed the Costco "give me a bid" button and a Lennox dealer showed up on my doorstep which is the same brand as the local contractor I don't like, win-win. 1250sqft well insulated house with double pane windows. No one did "manual J" or anything and all seemed to think my existing stuff was perfectly sized for the house and my ducts are new and in good shape. Both have clean contractor license histories and yelp reviews, insurance is active and valid, no hard sells, no one able to install it "today" or any pressure, they all have jobs backed up for weeks.

My goal is to also get a monster filter installed to reduce asthma issues and hopefully lower my interior noise from the forced air unit/furnace. No pets, no smoking, no vaping. The outside unit isn't an issue for sound for me, sorry neighbors. Cannot require wifi/internet access/app to work.

Both dealers include all permitting, HERS cert, lineset, etc etc for incidental stuff. They exclude electrical but mine is modern and up to code.

1a. Trane Single Speed 3 Ton 16 SEER w/ 80% efficiency furnace, 5" MERV 11 "Honeywell Media Air Purifier". Nest thermostat (will ask them to delete this). SX8 Furnace w/ Multispeed ECM Fan Motor "L8X1B060V3XSAA" + Evap "G35636D175" + Compressor "4TTR6036J1000A". $8000.

1b. Trane Variable Speed 3 Ton XLV system: TTV0036B1000E + XC80 TUD2B080ACV32B + G80636D175B2022AP. Trane 1050 Large Full Color Touchscreen thermostat $14,000.

2a. Lennox 14 SEER Single Speed Outside Variable Inside - SL280UH060NV36A 80k BTU 80% efficiency furnace w/ variable speed blower, ML14XC1-030 2.5 ton w/ "matching 3 ton evap" (doesn't list evap model I realize now, thanks thread), 5" MERV16 filter, $12,000. Won't the outside unit running at single speed cause the inside one to blow at full or reasonably high speed all the time?

2b. Lennox Variable Everything, SL280UH060NV36A furance (same), XC20-036 3 ton variable speed compressor, matched evap same as above. Lennox wifi thermostat thing. 5" MERV 16 filter $13,750

I like the higher MERV on the Lennox filter system, the Trane stuff seems to jump to ozone generators and UV from there, and Trane is really shifty on their Ozone levels from their website. Lennox has similar systems. I don't want either. I could really use someone telling me I'm a moron to spend $6,000 on a reduction in "whoosh" noise in the house that makes it hard to hear dialog on the TV because I have awful hearing. Thanks.

I'm somewhat surprised you're only getting a 80% furnace on these. I don't think the variable speed ones are going to do much for you (and from what I know, they're massively more complicated when they break).

You might consider getting a whole-house dehumidifier installed. Dust mites love higher humidity, and reducing it may help your allergies. Alternatively, some AC has a "dehumidify" mode where it runs the fan slower to help lower humidity. This is something you might have to ask them for explicitly though, when my AC got installed they didn't bother with the one extra wire it would have taken.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are products like this actually legit? Some of the wording on the site makes me think it's snake oil, but then I find tons of reviews saying it's great...

ASHRAE seems to have a document stating that the PCO technology is at least doing *something*.

Trying to address an issue where we have one or two rooms with weird smells that we can't find the source of.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My understanding is they're using UV to react with Titanium Dioxide in some way (aka PCO) - even the bigger brands offer something like this: https://www.lennox.com/help/faqs/pureair-air-purification

The specs for the 'nano induct' indicate it produces less then 0.05 ppm of ozone, so I'm not entirely sure it's just an ozone generator. I did find some scientific papers on it, but they're all coauthored by the guy behind air oasis, so I'm somewhat suspicious of them.

I really wish I could address the smells some other way, but we've run out of things to try... carpet was removed, walls and ceiling were all repainted, there's not actually a HVAC duct anywhere near where the odor is.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Lennox and Trane both sell them for a grand and spend a lot of time telling you how safe they are but I didn't see any readily accessible specifications around it. Smelled like snake oil to me.

Tried activated carbon? A 5" high merv filter?

Yea, some more research led me to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdjy1ESmX3E... I definitely trust the homechem people more then random company sponsored studies.

Activated carbon whole house filter might be a good idea. I'll have to see if I can get one that fits.

It's very tricky to upgrade the filter sizing I have. There's really only one place it can go, which is in the attic connected to the ~2ft wide flex duct that acts as the return. That might be a good thing to do once it cools off a little here... I'm not going to subject someone to the super hot attic temperatures over something as trivial as a weird smell in a couple rooms.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

https://nordicpure.com/ probably has yours, though they are expensive and don't sell cookie dough anymore.

Yea, that's where I got my current filters from.

I just remembered that I had disabled the fresh air intake on my whole house dehumidifier because we were having issues with one room being much hotter then the rest. While this probably isn't the cause of the odor, I imagine it's definitely not helping.

So, new goal is to find something that can control this based on CO2 levels. I had cobbled together something based on a raspberry pi + some relays, but it's probably a good time for a commercial product.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do you have a regular fan? Maybe toss that in the basement, and see if the dehumidifier still reads the same with a bunch of air movement. The fans on every dehumidifier I've seen are pretty anemic... I wonder if only part of the basement is that dry.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

This question is about indoor air purification - specifically, why is my HVAC releasing dirtier air than my air purifiers when both have HEPA filters attached?

Context:
I live in California. California is currently On Fire.

My home has central air, two portable air filters, and I have an air quality meter.

My meter just measured outside PM 2.5 at 521.9. For the record, the EPA considers a daily average of 12.0 or less to be safe, and spikes of up to 35.0 to be ok so long as the year still averages out to 12.0 or less per day. So we're at about 43.5x the recommended nonhazardous level of pollution. (Both figures taken from this chart.)

I believe the medical term for air like this is "real fuckin' bad".

Indoors, I am achieving PM 2.5 of about 40, sometimes as low as 20. This is worlds better than outside, but still not as good as I'd like.

Weirdly, when I hold my air quality meter up to my HVAC vents I get a reading of about 70, much higher than desired. Holding it up to my purifiers shows a reading of about 20. Both the HVAC and the purifiers have HEPA filters, all filters are within their recommended lifespan (in fact, the HVAC's filter is only a couple months old).

Why is my HVAC system not cleaning the air as well as my dedicated filters, and how can I go about making it work better?

The HVAC ducts are likely not sealed well, and are picking up crap from whatever space they're in (attic, basement, etc). If you can reach them, you can go around with mastic and seal up every joint.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MRC48B posted:

Are people still worried about natural gas appliance safety in the hellscape year of 2020?

IIRC the most recent gas explosion in my city was a guy opening a gas valve on the side of a house because he thought it was water (it was for a natgas grill), then leaving it open.

and the issues in Massachusetts a few centuries back were the gas supply company being cheap/incompetent and over-pressurizing lines.

modern gas furnaces are pretty good at failing safe these days.

Its the same maintenance as a regular split ac just with a few extra steps, to make sure it heats and defrost cycles.

really the question is an economic one. you wanna save short term, and bet that gas will continue to be cheaper per therm and that the US will never decarbonize, get another furnace.

In retrospect, I would have done a heat pump with gas furnance backup when replacing the HVAC. Best of both worlds!

I don't know how much more expensive it would have been over a standard AC unit, but it's mostly the same components...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

STR posted:

All original ducting in the attic, no attic access (it's a duplex), and you can see how "special" the duct is with all that duct tape and zip ties. That was us doing that - originally it was just blowing into that duct with a 2-3 inch gap on all sides. And yeah, the upright has water visibly flowing through it, but it's just down at the T connection level. The only time it's come to the top was when the drain got clogged with slime.

That is an actual trap, but that seems kinda pointless when it's draining directly outside instead of into the household drain - but I'm not exactly an expert. Roommate said it didn't feel like this last fall, though. He's been here about 2 years.

How about if I just add a few inches to the vent, and maybe try to angle the drain a little more downhill? I think adding a bit to the vent will keep it from overflowing enough to trip the cutoff (I've verified it works by removing it and moving it by hand, but there's no water marks on it... definitely never been wet).

It seems like it has 2 traps. The typical P trap (though very small compared to most P traps I've seen - the one without a cap in the photo that you say needs a cap), and then a purpose-made trap/vent combo - the one you see capped in that photo (pulling the insulation off shows the pipe is intentionally bent upward, with some lettering about AC DRAIN VENT on it, so probably a purpose built Home Depot/Lowe's handyman part).

I'm tempted to just redo everything above the final elbow at this point. It's a clusterfuck of handymanitis.

The trap is there so your HVAC doesn't blow to the outside, and so stuff from the outside doesn't come in.

I like that they pointlessly insulated the drain line that's in conditioned space, but used lovely duct tape to hold stuff together.