Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So... lead up to summer here down under... is there any benefit of me crawling into my roof cavity and attacking the spaghetti monster thats up there to try and get into the evaporator housing to clean the fins off before summer really kicks on?

Systems an LG ducted reverse cycle, bout 18 months old, but this house is in a new, still being built housing estate (so dusty as poo poo) and has a wood fire, two cats and the return air pickup is in the living room area with said wood fire and kitchen in it. Return duct has a filter on it that gets cleaned once a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Australia is a little bit more hardcore on the licensing for AC installers and technicians- need to be licensed through the government and you cant get licensed unless you've undertaken tertiary studies in the field of AC you want to work in- So if your doing automotive you need to have a qualification in basic mechanics as well as one in AC systems. Home installers need to have a trade certification in home AC installs and be a licenced electrician if they're hooking the units up too.

Industry (at least where I am) is fairly well regulated too- You'll still get some cowboys out there but they end up either getting smacked by the government regulators or get such a bad reputation that word of mouth becomes poison for them.

You also wont find solid ducting outside of commercial installs in Australia too- its all that insulated flexible tubing. We've got more issues with roof spaces hitting 60 degrees and needing to keep the air in the ducts cold than it being -10 inside your roof and having issues with frost and heat loss causing your home to freeze.

Sealed homes just arent a thing here, mostly because they would become an absolute oven after a week of 40+ degree days and 30 degree nights.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

So how essential IS it to clean the evaporator unit on a reverse cycle AC? Our unit is 2yrs old now and has the standard intake filter, but im wondering if i need to climb into the ceiling cavity, pull the cover off the unit and clean out the evaporator unit. We've got cats, the intake is in the living room area with a wood fire and the open plan kitchen, so im sure its inhaled a fair bit of cooking fumes and wood smoke/ash over the last two years.