Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
On the other side of HVAC, there's the getting that cooled/heated air to where you want it, in other words, duct work.

That's where I've recently started working. I got into a Sheetmetal Apprenticeship in September of last year. I went into the place to fill out the usual employment paperwork, and the shop foreman was going to have me start spot welding some fittings together, well, they got a call from the field about some stuff needing to be delivered to a job site. So the foreman put me in a truck and sent me to the fairground.

Turns out, my brand new place of employment got the bid for the new Expo Center at the State Fairground. It's a pretty good size building, 300ft by 600ft for the main expo area, and two wings on the north and south sides for sundry storage/restrooms/kitchens.

I knew nothing about duct work, beyond it supplies the ac and heating, so I got a crash course on shooting hangers, banging together duct, cutting it to fit, lifting it anywhere between 8'-14' with a rickety duct jack, and the ultimate fun, pookying it.

Well, that wasn't so bad, it was still warm, and there were walls up, so it blocked most of the ceaseless wind, and the roof was roughed in, so it blocked most of the beating sun.

Fast-forward 4 months, and it's cold, the wind is still ceaseless, but now we get to hang spiral across the Expo bay. But this isn't any regular spiral, we've got 60" that steps down across the bay down to 36" with a few oval-to-round fittings to go between the I-beams and the roof.

Have some pictures:
54" oval-to-round with an 8' joint to catch the hanger
This is actually 54"
54"
Another 54" joint and oval a few bays down
Here you can see the oval-to-round with the 54" going to the reducer that steps it to 60" that is running to the supply
Here you can see where that 60" turns down the the baffle that goes to the supply, we don't have anything hooked up yet because we don't have the square-round, but it's gonna be a whole mess of fun to attach.
I wish I had a better picture, but these are our units, with a pipefitter for scale. :classiclol: These are 490ton units, and I forget exactly how many we have, but there are at least 6 of that size, and a few smaller ones.

e. images work now

immoral_ fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Lucky for me, the majority of what we've hung is unlined. Now, yeah all this spiral is lined, but it's not that loose fiberglass poo poo like what they hung one the wall in the one picture, but yeah, it's still annoying.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
You can buy magnetic covers to put over floor vents to help with that.