Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Alereon posted:

Is there such a thing as a box that does humidification or dehumidification as-needed, like some sort of humidity management unit? Or do I really need to attach separate humidifiers and dehumidifiers to the ducts?

Generally, your air conditioner should be your dehumidifier. That's why it has a condensate pump to move the water outside. If you did have both, it would require a humidistat for each and some (not that complicated) additional wiring to make sure they weren't working against each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

coyo7e posted:

What "boxes" is this thing ticking? You mentioned that "15 degree differential AC is a fact of life", so I'm assuming you're looking at an outside average air temp of, say, 80F? (Most heating degree day calculations use 65F as baseline for indoor temp, if you go higher or lower please mention it, say if you're elderly, or have a newborn baby, or if you are a polar bear like my old roommate who left everything at 50F and wore lots of sweaters.) How big is your building (can't do gently caress-all without sq footage really)? How many stories? What's it's orientation? If this a home, or a business?

Temperature Differential is unrelated to outside air temperature. The actual calculation is TD = coil temp - return air temp. That means that the air coming off the coil (and out of the vent) should be within about a degree of the rated TD on the evaporator/condenser. More or less indicates a problem with the system. TD isn't fixed either, I usually run R-707 freezer systems with a TD of 12-20 degrees, with 20 degree TD's primarily on systems that require fast freezing or holding ice cream.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

devicenull posted:

Do heat pumps ever really make sense when natural gas is available? I've been playing around with heatcalc.xls, and it seems that it's always more expensive to heat with a heat pump.

We pay $0.82/therm, and $0.16/kWh, so it doesn't seem like it would make any sense to switch. We'd probably still need a furnace to deal with the cold days (electrical resistance heating seems like a terrible idea), so it's not like we'd be saving any money on that.

It really depends on the cost of electricity. For reference, I pay $0.105/kWh, so its a lot cheaper for me in TX to use a heat pump. The other issue is how cold do your cold days get? Heat pumps become wildly inefficient when the outdoor temp drops below about 17 degrees F, because there just isn't enough heat in the outside air to move inside.