Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
We have ducted reverse cycle A/C and I was recently in the roof, and the ducts look badly positioned and not very straight. Should the ducts be the shortest path with minimal bends or is there some weird air/fluid dymanics thing where there should be a bunch of bends?

I'll try and get a photo of what I mean but it's currently summer and hot as gently caress up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

ExplodingSims posted:

Reverse Cycle = Heat pump right?

Ideally, yes, you want your ducts to be straight and avoid bends when possible. More bends = More turbulence and poorer air delivery.
In reality, most installers don't give a poo poo and install terrible spaghetti monsters.

Yes apparently reverse cycle means a heat pump.

How hard would it be to rearrange it to straighten out the ducts?

http://imgur.com/a/hBmAA

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

coyo7e posted:

If you're loving with venting up in the attic, you could very well be depressurizing the home's shell and either pulling in gases from below the crawlspace, or accidentally forcing furnaces and other stuff with gas-fed pilots, or fireplaces etc, to blow out or in-vent.

I hope you know a lot about pascals

It's a single story house with no gas or furnances (Australia).

ExplodingSims posted:

It's not impossible, but it would be a fair amount of work. By the time you're talking about cutting, rearranging, and reconnecting all the ducts, you'd probably have a much easier time just getting new ductwork.
Especially since it all seems to be ductboard and flex, which is cheap and easy to work with. But judging by that picture, it looks like it's a mess already.

The best setup for something like that is to have one solid ductboard trunk, that the flex comes off of to individual drops. The flex should be pulled taught and supported from the rafters, ideally staying straight as possible. Also trying to avoid those box plenum things. And from what I can tell, your setup has none of that going on.

This is what I was afraid of. The guys who installed it were apparently really poo poo.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

coyo7e posted:

to worry about checking the filtration etc in their home HVAC system.

I cleaned my gf's filter and it had like a quarter inch of cat hair caught in it. Now the intake doesn't make this droning/screeching noise and the flow from the outlets is like 3x better.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mr. Powers posted:

I just don't like getting near a cap that large that may have been charged at 220v. The meter I have at work I can bring home and use. I just don't like giant caps.

Get a cap discharger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mr. Powers posted:

Is that just a metal bar with a nice thick rubber grip?

Something that has resistance is safer.