Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001
We live in a historic neighborhood and every house has a Unico system. I just bought the house in October so I've only turned it on a few times. It seems a tad loud in the upstairs of the house where most of the outlets are. We have 10 outlets upstairs and only 4 downstairs. The 4 downstairs come through a closet. The whole thing is extremely well hidden. You have to position the outlets so they're not over beds or anything since the air is moving pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001
My 22 year old AC system has kicked the bucket. It has a refrigerant leak. We've been having places come out to spec out a new system but they all have a 4-8 week lead time. It's a Unico system so I guess they're hard to get ahold of because there is only one manufacturer?

I've borrowed two portables and one window unit. I've got 1000 sq feet upstairs and 1000 sq foot downstairs. I have all three of the window/portables downstairs right now and they can barely keep up. There are no doors downstairs in my house.

My question is, is it safe to run these things hard? Right now I am manipulating the temperature all day and night so they don't run too much. I am nervous because none of them are mine.

Second question: Should I investigate repairing the central air? The local HVAC company filled up the refrigerant once already and it leaked right back out. I'm leaning towards no because the thing is so old but it's July and our house is very hot.

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm a bit confused here, is there a specific reason you're going with the same manufacturer that you have in place right now if you're replacing everything? Or is this the manufacturer your contractor uses and they're just backed up?

Supplies are hosed everywhere right now so it may be less "your specific system has hard to find parts" and more "nothing is in stock anywhere".

In your shoes, unless the cost to do so is astronomical I'd be looking at doing the repair on the 22-year-old system to just get it running now and schedule the full replacement as soon as all the parts are available.

I had three places come out and do quotes. All three of them specced out a Unico and nothing else. I think Unico has its own specialized ducting. We're keeping the ducts that I already have.

If I knew they could come out on some date and repair it for price X I'd strongly consider it. Problem is I don't know when anybody can come out, or how much it will cost until they do the leak test. To make this more complicated I'm in an area that flooded over the weekend. Many homes in my area lost their HVAC units if they were in the basement. All the HVAC companies are really busy cleaning things up. Mine is AC only and it's in the attic.

Either way, I'm going to call the HVAC place back tomorrow and see how booked up they are.

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001
In Michigan so I am well into the heating season here. Had our annual inspection on our gas fired hot water boiler. Same company for the past 4 years. Not sure why they pushed the inspection in January since we usually have it in October.

They are saying the boiler needs to be replaced because the heat exchanger is bad. The guy shut down the boiler and gave me the "wink wink nudge nudge" here's how you turn this back on. He said he did not detect any co2 anywhere. They are sending a sales guy out tomorrow morning to quote a whole new system.

Trying to figure out if this is safe to run or not. His concern were the missing fins. I am googling and getting lots of info on furnaces but I'm having a hard time finding info on boilers.

Is this safe to run?
Should I get a second opinion? (Almost certainly will)

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001

Motronic posted:

If no CO is detectred (not CO2) then it is still safe to run. But if pieces of the heat exchanger are falling apart it's only a matter of time before it fails in a way where it will let combustion gases into places they shouldn't be, so yes.....it's likely trime to replace it.

Thanks! I've got a CO (not CO2) detector on the ceiling right above the unit. I also have them throughout the house.