Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I am too busy to watch a tc video or do an effort post about this, but resi companies have no incentive to properly size furnaces, and several incentives to "oversize" them.

One is money, larger unit larger margin.

Two, design day temps are not the coldest temp an area will see. If a unit cant keep up when its -30f thats a pissed off customer and a callback that cant be easily resolved.

Three, short cycling a furnace has less of an impact on comfort than short cycling an ac unit does, it just accelerates wear, which hey if its after warranty is a profitable service call.

Tldr late stage capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I live in an apartment in Oregon. I want to get a couple of window AC units. Pretty sure I want a ~5000 BTU unit and a ~10,000 BTU unit. I don't need/want IoT functionality, but being able to set timers (both to run for a set period of time and to start running after a set period of time) is highly desirable; I mention this because browsing around I see there are smaller units that are still fully manual.

My main question is if there are particular brands to avoid, whether due to being noisier than average or due to being less reliable than average, or if I'm good to basically just select based on features and price.

features and price, keep the receipt. there are some premium ones like Midea U units, but thats up to you, your wallet, and your window type.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The answer is "it depends" so you will never get a definitive answer on it.

Does it freeze where you live, how deep does it freeze, how exposed are the pipes, how insulated is the basement.

You could do other things like put heat tape and insulation on the water pipes, or install an electric heater for the basement.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

A mini split is the way to go if your construction plan is set and you are doing it whole rear end.

Window/wall or portables have one advantage in that they are as described, portable, and easily replaced.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Fluke is good but Overpriced, but I am also on team Dont Buy an Eight Dollar Multimeter.

I could make an :effortpost: on products that are built to a price point, and late stage capitalism sucking the value out of everything but I wont. The important thing to know is they are not eight dollar multi-meters, they are three dollar multi-meters, because everyone down the line selling them has to get their cut.

the only thing those cheap multis are good for is if you are messing around with a 9v battery and some LEDs. Anything bigger, you want something built heavier. Car diagnostics? You need something that can do more amperage, or even has a clamp. Line household wiring? You need something that has safety components.

You don't need to spend three hundo on a Fluke. Klein makes some decent products in the 50-75 range, and it will probably be the only meter you ever need to buy.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

ha ha relay goes brrrrrrrrr

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

Previous owner had installed awnings around the house and both units are underneath them like below

I've read conflicting information about this affecting efficiency both positively, because it's shaded which I doubt, or negatively because the expelled hot air can't escape as easily. Should I go ahead and remove the roof panels over them?

If its tall enough you can stand under that awning*, there is enough room for air to mix. if there is enough room for you to walk around the unit to service it, Its fine.

the Trane install manual specifically calls for 5ft vertical space above, and 12" away from any walls. I have seen units with less than this that have been working fine for decades.

Sun Shading does not matter one bit.

If you are in an area with heavy snow/ice accumulation, the awning can prevent heavy drifts from sliding off the roof and crushing the unit, because it is basically a perforated sheet metal box with a bunch of tinfoil fin radiators inside.

*assumes you are not a 7+ft NBA player

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

I bet that stupid diagram is all I need.

HVAC Thread: I bet that stupid diagram is all I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Yeah, its nice that Broan and others have finally got around to updating fan designs that have not changed since the last time we went to the moon.