Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Is that 5 amp fuse intact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

You can get little portable dehumidifiers with wither a tank you empty periodically or attach a hose to a drain. I think you'd want to try one of those as a first step.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

That would come in around an 8 SEER.

I wouldn't suggest you should count on that lasting much longer but it happens. I'm out of residential stuff these days but I saw an 1984 system in 2016. Alot depends on the install location and maintenance. Did you have it serviced and the pressures checked? Are there obvious signs of deterioration?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Seems pretty reasonable to plan a replacement; you'll probably see a number of improvements. You might get more service out of what you have, maybe years, but it's a lot nicer to do replace it when you choose rather than when it chooses.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I hadn't bought R-22 in a while and was a little alarmed by the price from my contractor who just swapped out two Bitzer screws for me at work, but apparently I was getting quite a deal! Is $770 for 30 pounds retail the real world we're living in or do I need to shop around? I just have one small building so I don't need it often enough to buy bulk, but all our equipment is 22. I guess it's time for me to do my homework on drop-in replacements, huh?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

R22, chlorodifluromethane, has been the most common residential refrigerant for the last 30 years or so. It's an HCFC with less ozone depletion potential than dichlorodifluromethane, R12 and a CFC, but has pretty massive global warming potential. It's been phased out on a timeline established by the Montreal protocol in the early 90s.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Alereon posted:

Don't those UV sterilizers produce toxic levels of ozone?

I don't have firsthand experience with them but my filter guy does installs in hospitals and pharmaceutical facilities so either their don't or it can be mitigated enough to not affect the most sensitive people/equipment.

If the UV isn't a workable option, which I couldn't say, the traditional fix is to cut access so that you can clean the coil easily enough to do it regularly.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Regular no-rinse evap coil cleaner has always worked fine where I've been working, but they do make specialty mold products. I'd try a non-acid no-rise evaporator coil cleaner first and see what kind of results you get. I'm not sure what is available in regular hardware stores, but I don't think it would be too difficult or expensive to track down something on the internet if you don't have anything local. Just abide the MSDS warnings as they are usually moderate alkaline.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Molybdenum posted:

how many actual different manufacturers of HVAC units are there? I'm talking gas/electric furnaces/ac combos for residential use.

I know Carrier and Trane are the flagships of two companies and many of the down market brands/models are just re-labels/downgrades of those products but is it really just the two of them? I found a Canadian manufacturer (Napoleon) but it looks like it is effectively not available in the US (or at least not in my area).

My furnace is starting to crap out and it is ~25 years old at this point so I'm looking to get a new one and figured a new AC unit at the same time is a good idea but I haven't really been able to find good buyers guides that actually provide any good differences between the brands.

There are about 5 or 6 manufacturers of HVAC equipment in the US sold under different brand names. UTI is the megacorp that makes Carrier, Bryant, Payne, Tempstar, and some more. Other groups are York/Luxaire/Coleman; Goodman/Amana/Janitrol; Rheem/Ruud; Lennox/Armstrong; Trane/American Standard; Frigidaire/Gibson/Mammoth, etc. It's been 15 years since I did any residential installs so I've lost track of a lot of it.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jaweeeblop posted:

Also $22 per pound seems pretty high. Supply houses here in San Antonio are at $475 per 30lb cylinder.

I guess this is pretty local. DC was $575ish last fall for me. The price my mechanical contractor was getting buying 100s was only a little better, too.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Pimblor posted:

I like to sleep cold, and I set my newly installed (like within this month) 3 ton Goodman to 68 before I went to bed, I woke up and it's 100% humidity out and the house is 70%. The pan water sensor was red so I used a rag to sop up some of the water and it kicked back on. But I just noticed there's no gravity drain at all for the pan itself. Is this normal? I seem to recall the old unit they had plumbed in a drain for the unit and the pan. Should the installer fix this or am I stuck with leaving a cheap wet dry vac in the attic?

You need a condensate drain, either gravity or a pump, and the installer should have hooked one up. It is a ridiculous for them to have overlooked that.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

There should be a wiring diagram for your unit on the back of the cover door. There will be a box with the codes for your unit that explains what they mean. An installation manual I searched up that may be the right model suggests 2 blinks is a pressure switch issue, but you should check that your model uses the same codes to be sure.

The first thing the furnace does should be turn on the draft fan. Before the gas ignites do you hear the draft fan start? If you do, it is probably a pressure switch that needs to be replaced. If you don't, it's probably the draft fan/assembly that needs to be replaced. It could also be a relay on the control board.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Crotch Fruit posted:

I do hear a fan start before ignition, and after ignition sometimes it hums along as if everything is OK, but sometimes the flame light blinks rapidly and the flame goes away immediately. I did find the circuit diagram with blink codes. For the OK (green) LED - on is normal, 1 blink = 1hr lockout, 2 = pressure switch stuck open, 3 = limit switch open, 4 = pressure switch stuck closed 5 = twinning fault (I'm don't even know what twinning is). For the flame LED, off = no flame, rapid = unexpected flame, slow = marginal flame, steady = normal flame. I believe it blinked 4 times rapidly before shutting off, I think it was an unexpected flame but that seems a little odd that would occur right after a call for heat.

You may need someone to look at the control board. If you know what you're doing you can poke around with a meter and check the flame sensor, etc. If you're not up for it or don't have a meter with micro amps, you can turn off the power and do the basics before calling; make sure the board is seated right and all the connections are good, and make sure the flame sensor is well located in the flame.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Crotch Fruit posted:

The current filter was installed about 1.5 months ago, I think it might have been $15 at Wal-mart, it's a Filtrete Merv 9. Right now the thing is extremely gray and also bowing a bit from the suction. . . The last filter that was in the unit lasted em, about a year if you can count being sucked through to a point of nearly jamming the blower motor as "lasting". I suspect vast quantities of unfiltered air have passed through my HVAC system, the tech did check the AC coils and said they looked fine. I will go buy a cheap minimum legal qualification of a filter to try to test the air flow again. My furnace is 13 years old and thus not legally illegible to vote in the midterms.

*EDIT* I heard my furnace click on, I ran over and pulled the filter and jammed my Harbor Freight meat thermometer temperature probe in the inspection hole, it only ran for about 2 minutes but when it shut off the temperate was 130F. I sincerely hope this whole ordeal was not just a filter. . . If it was, I would like to petition to rename this thread to "Nipples and ballcocks HVAC: Change your filter."

EDIT 2* The furnace is running like a champ sans filter, thermometer is not going over 130F. I will keep monitoring it for a few more days just to be safe.

A filter should be changed well before it bows from air pressure. If you went from a fiberglass to a pleated you'll have to change the filter more often. A year is probably too long for most people anyway.

Also, don't ever hire that HVAC company again.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Crotch Fruit posted:

I will admit that I went far too long on the previous filter that was left in for a year. I think turning up the blower might have been what caused my filter to bow this time. Is it realistic to assume that leaving the old filter in too long might have caused there to be more dust in the house lesdi gto clogging the new filter early? How should I determine the amount of airflow necessary for my system?

The main thing that causes unexpected filter problems in my experience is switching from fiberglass or washable to pleated, which will almost always need a more frequent interval. Otherwise, getting new pets, leaving windows open a lot, or sometimes landscaping changes can add load to the filter. Somebody also told me recently that the wildfire smoke can load up a filter, but I have no experience with that.

You'll have to feel it out for a little while, but just check visually. I've had some places that if I wasn't there 4 weeks to the day it would freeze up and I'd get a service call anyway (doctor's office lobby), and others where I was changing it just on principle after a year. When it starts to look loaded up and not just stained with dirt, it definitely needs to be changed.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Since the discussion here with pleated filters has me a little concerned since my unit is from the mid-90s, is a pleated filter that you replace monthly during the summer and every other month in the winter acceptable?

I replace monthly in the summer as I have two cats and it runs continuously to keep the house cool. In the winter my unit runs significantly less. I just turned it on today for the first time in 10 days. Hence the longer filter changes during the winter.

If you haven't had problems, then it's probably fine. The main things are you don't want to run without a filter and get your coil/heat exchanger dirty, you don't want to restrict airflow and freeze up the coil with a clogged filter, and you really don't want to get the filter so dirty that it gets sucked into the blower and breaks stuff and also dumps the dirt into the system.

e: Honestly the best you can hope for from lots of people is that they remember they have a filter a couple times a year or have a seasonal service visit in Spring and Fall. Quarterly changes are usually recommended, but sometimes that's more than you need and sometimes it's too little.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

skipdogg posted:

My pan has an overflow switch that kills the system if it gets tripped.

Not an hvac expert but the trap is necessary so air doesn’t get sucked in through the drain system

This is correct. You need a trap on the condensate like or the system will suck (potentially nasty) air in through the drain and prevent water flowing out.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

devicenull posted:

What's that thing in the first picture on the far left? It says OPEN, is that a fresh air intake that's stuck open?

It certainly looks like a ventilation damper wide open.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Keep in mind if you have an R22 system that refrigerant keeps going up in price like crazy. A couple pounds might cost a few hundred dollars these days, depending on where you are.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Can homeowners legally buy r-22? I honestly don't know. I always have to put my epa card on file wherever I've bought but that seems obvious for commercial stuff.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

kastein posted:

Honestly what's really needed is a standard for communications between thermostats, other sensor devices, indoor units, outdoor units, in duct blowers, surge heaters, dampers, etc. Something like CAN would be a great physical layer for it, then stack standardized packet formats on top of it for each control type and allow full configuration so each indoor unit/booster/damper knows which thermostats tell them to do what, different brands of equipment could be used together more effectively, etc. Unfortunately I'm sure there would be a lot of resistance to such an idea in the industry because everyone's already got their own proprietary ecosystem they want to sell you, and they like that it doesn't work with anyone else's stuff, and love 24vac dumb controls even if a single point of failure can burn up a piece of equipment like motronic described, because it means not having to learn any new tech and being able to sell the replacement unit. Even though that system was designed to work with non modulating 60% efficient oil furnaces in 1955 or whatever and has been poorly extended and added to since then, while still not really adapting well to modern modulating furnaces and chillers, or horror of horrors, both in one system and the user wanting the system to just do what's needed to maintain temp without having to flip a heat/cool switch.

E: or if such a thing already exists, maybe people should use it, but that will never happen

Something like that exists for commercial stuff.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

As a point of reference, I looked at my latest indoor air quality survey for my commercial office building and the ASHRAE recommendation is a maximum limit of 700 above the ambient outside air level. That puts a recommended upper limit approximately between 950-1050. I would expect residential recommended levels would not be higher than that, and possibly lower. Though, as already noted, in practice levels above the recommended limit are probably not uncommon.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 25, 2021

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I don't care about that minor nuisance. I care about COVID.

I live in NY. Being able to afford to move to a place that will be at least as safe WRT COVID is not something I can see happening any time in the near future. Let alone to a safer place.
I have a portable vent AC yeah. I can get a wall AC if I need to is what I'm saying. But yeah. I lost my original job when the pandemic began and had to move back in with family so I do technically own the property, we simply have rented out one of the units - it's a three family home. So I can make some changes as need be. Again, it's really just one wall that connects to an adjacent bedroom. I can do a crude MSpaint diagram after I get off of work if that would help?

Replacing the one-hose portable AC with a two-hose portable unit or a window unit will help with your negative pressure. Consider a small stand-alone HEPA filter air purifier - one with a charcoal filter will help a little with smoke smell as a bonus. IMO these, and doing what air sealing you can, are the changes that are practical for you to make, though they may be of limited effectiveness. The stuff I've seen about reliably effective HVAC approaches to covid mitigation are all mostly beyond DIY means and tend to be expensive - the two main ones being maximizing air changes and high MERV filtration.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Slugworth posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to sound too whiney/outraged about the price, I just wanted to get a better idea of what was involved.

To the other part of my question, should I be rushing to get this done asap?

If was correctly diagnosed as a bad switch and isn't actually low on refrigerant or has a fast leak, you probably don't have to rush; however, as long as the switch is jumped out you lack some protection against causing a much more expensive repair.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I don't know if I'd call duct work easy. I suppose flex duct is easy, but with rigid back when I was helping out with residential installs a couple decades ago, we never regretted paying a few hundred to have a sheet-metal guy do that stuff for us. There's an art to doing it fast and neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Had an HVAC guy out here to do an annual furnace inspection / maintenance, and he said the inducer motor is going. The furnace is 11 years old and out of warranty. It's a Rheem high efficiency variable speed system. (I can get the model number if it helps)

Estimate was $2100 for the inducer motor replacement (generic part) or $2900 (OEM). They also gave me replacement options which ranged from $12k (Lennox ML296UH-090XV48C) to $14.5k (Lennox SLP99UH-090XV36C).

Is it just me or are all these prices really high? In my Googling around, I'm seeing significantly lower prices than these from those "what should it cost?" sites. Am I missing something or is this company just a ripoff?

Thanks!

I'm almost 2 decades out of doing any residential stuff so what the gently caress do I know, but that seems like it's in the neighborhood of 10x of what I'd expect the part to cost.