Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bootmanj
May 10, 2018

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW
Anyone got experience with custom comfort heat pumps? Looking at a quote to change the house from oil to heatpumps but I can't really seem to find anything on the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bootmanj
May 10, 2018

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm looking at getting a notifications Mitsubishi hyper heat 2 ton central ashp installed and I'm trying to decide if I should get backup resistance coil. Design temp is (iirc) 14 degrees and the equipment should be good to -4 and provide enough heat output. I'm not concerned from an operating temp standpoint, but more a "what is the heat pump breaks or has issues in the winter, at least we can switch over to the resistance". Any experience with resistance back up? I was quoted ~$3000 for the backup, so pricey but not too bad for my area (Boston HVAC company pricing is wild).

I would get the backup in the Boston area. We had that -10F night last year.

bootmanj
May 10, 2018

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't know about that either, but I think this video I posted in the home thread is better suited here and probably very relevant to your interests if you are going to be dealing with HVAC companies trying to sell you heating solutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTsQjiPlksA

Interesting video, but in my case the state incentive program determines the system capacity. Its based on whats probably not the greatest calculation from sq ft but there is not much I can do about that. I am getting a few quotes though and they are definitely high but so far they are fairly similar.

bootmanj
May 10, 2018

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW
So found out the custom comfort brand is just a rebadged Midea Xtreme Heat. No internal component changes such as the ones Carriers have.

bootmanj
May 10, 2018

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW
If a oil boiler is currently heating the basement where the water pipes are and I have the system changed out the heat pumps does the basement need heating? I've had some conflicting answers on this but I would rather not have pipes burst again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bootmanj
May 10, 2018

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

devicenull posted:

I think they're usually done in the attic because it's easy and out of sight. We had a system put entirely on the outside of the house, and the fan is only about 3ft off the ground. That's actually the usual setup around here.

Last I heard the attic vent is so the radon disperses sufficiently that it doesn't reenter the house. Its also apart of the codes or standards for radon mitigation in the US. The radon concentration coming out of that pipe is going to be a lot higher then the readings in a basement. Worth noting some other countries then the US have different standards and don't require above roof vents.