Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

So I am looking into buying an AC unit for my Grandma and am trying to figure out roughly how much this will cost before I bring out someone for an estimate. She lives in Socal and removed the unit the house had when she moved in 25 years ago, according to her the coil is still there and drained of the refrigerant. I suspect after 25 years that stuff will not be reusable, but hopefully the install won't be to hard since the infrastructure is still there. The house is 1750sqft 3bdrm two story. I am hoping to spend less than $4000 (probably split with other family members) and am wondering if any knows roughly how much this stuff costs. Also I am considering using the Costco/Lennox deal, with various promos it will be zero interest and ~14% cash back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

For a new house with forced air heating is almost $10,000 a sane price for a new install 4 ton AC unit in any state? (but more importantly, in California).

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

kastein posted:

Depends, what brand? My Midea 3 ton split unit was $2500 in parts and shipping, but expect probably another few hundred to a thousand in materials and installation (since you already have central air) and the rest is gonna be their labor rate plus whatever brand and size difference costs.

Lennox EL16XC1-048 (mid range, 16 seer, single speed).

skipdogg posted:

That sounds about right for a replacement of an existing AC unit. I was quoted similar at my old house.

I’d want clarification from OP though, the words “new install” might mean the house didn’t have central air before so ductwork, extra labor, etc are involved which would make 10k more reasonable

Brand, features, etc also make a difference. Hard to say without more specifics. 10k for a basic 13 seer Goodman unit might be outrageous, but a fancier variable speed high seer system not so much

So my house does have forced air heating (gas furnace), but is not "plumbed"/ac ready. This means they'll need to run the power to the condenser and the coolant lines to the coil. Vents should be good, air handler I don't know.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, Lennox is going to be more expensive, but if they need to run power, lineset, etc for the new condenser and evap, than $10000 is pretty reasonable for a new install.

After running all the numbers more carefully it now stands: $7,000 Carrier 3 ton SEER 14, $7,400 Airtemp 4 ton SEER 14, $8,900 Airtemp 4 ton SEER 16, $8,000 Lennox 4 ton SEER 16. I've asked for a 4 ton Carrier quote for apples to apples.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

So wildfires...I've got some home depot level 10 rated filters (which is like MERV 13 from what I can tell) being shipped to me that should arrive Thursday. Outside air quality will still probably be between 300-400 when they arrive. I in a new energy efficient home such that luckily the smoke infiltration isn't too bad but I still want to clean it up asap.

How long can I run my HVAC in fan mode to filter all the inside air? (Edit without damaging the fan)

I already have the external fresh air duct shut permanently in the off position as a side note.

You can probably figure this out based on the size of your house, compressor, furnace, and most importantly air handler and return. The answer is actually pretty fast to cycle all the air in your house (think about how quickly your heater or ac change the temperature). I am in the same situation, new house in CA and have been using the AC with a Merv 13 filter to improve the air quality, I run it about six hours a day. Also new homes in California are required to have vent sealing testing, but not blower door testing.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

My new AC system seems to have a 6.5/8.5 minute duty cycle, is this normal? When it cools off outside the on time stretches a few minutes more. I'd prefer it cool longer and stay off longer, I read the thermostat manual and can't find any settings that seem to control that. New house, new single stage ac, Lennox m30i thermostat.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Explosionface posted:

The two settings that jumped out at me as possibly affecting this are the Feels Like setting, since they note they control off of that (and outside temp affects it) and the Fan Circulate time. I would try the Feels Like setting first since I suspect it will have more of an effect than anything else. Dunno if anyone else has any better ideas.

Thanks, I think "Feels Like" requires the outside temperature sensor, which I don't have. I will try upping the fan circulate time.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

My thermostat has started power cycling at the end of the heat stage. It just kinda turns off, or at least resets when it hits the set temperature and the relays click. I've never been downstairs to watch it so I can't tell exactly how the process starts. It's a 2.5 year old Lennox M30 attached to a Lennox AC and almost as new furnace. It's two weeks for the HVAC company that installed it (and the AC) to come out to check on it. Is there anything to be especially worried about or super easy to fix / check? Assume decent home repair skills and equipment, and new construction.

Also, what's the current recommendation for aftermarket thermostats. I hate the M30, it constantly cycles on and off trying to maintain temperature with no way to make it overshoot. I'm looking for something more controllable, doesn't need to be smart or internet connected, and it's just controlling single stage / zone ac and forced air heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

PageMaster posted:

Please bear with me for the potentially long post! I'm going through some treatment at home which gives me a lot of time to troubleshoot and maybe gather too much info: My nest thermostat has started giving me an Error, (no power to RH wire) shortly after we turn the heat on, and I'm trying to figure out what's normal operation, and what's a problem. Naturally our home warranty company hired the worst rated contractor in the county to come look at it in a couple weeks so I'm just thinking about it while we wait. Here's the standard cycle that happens on the natural gas furnace when we turn the heater on:

1) Burners kick on, then shortly after the blower turns on

2) everything runs fine for maybe 5 minutes, at which point there's a click, the burners immediately shut off and the thermostat gives the no power to RH wire error, but the blower keeps running. After another minute the thermostat RH wire error goes away.

3) Maybe 5 minutes later, there's another click and the burners turn back on, and the cycle repeats (after so many minutes the burners shut off and I get the error on the thermostat). We figured something is wrong with our furnace and called home warranty, but as I started running through the furnace operations, I wondered if maybe it was working normally and the error is just a result of the normal process.

What i'm wondering is after the buners turn on, then the blower turns on once the heat exchanger reaches a certain temperature. At some point, the burners kick off, and I'm wondering if the burners are just shutting off because the heat exchanger/plenum has reached it's max temp, and this results in cutting power to the RH wire and giving me the error. Not sure why my RH wire power error goes away a minute later, but the blower keeps blowing which cools the heat exchanger and once it's cooled below a certain temp the burners kick back on. I can't find for certain if the furnace turning off the burners (or tripping the high limit) would cut power to the RH wire. I'm also not sure if this cycling of the burners turning on and off is normal, or if the furnace is expected to be finely tuned to the point that the temp/high limit shouldn't ever be tripped and the burners, air flow, etc. all keep the heat exchanger at that perfect middle temp.

This is extremely similar to the problem I had with my furnace recently (described a few pages ago). For me the solution was the furnace tech adjusting the gas pressure in the furnace. The tech also mentioned airflow as a potential issue, but decided it was unlikely for my specific system. Did filter/airflow changes end up fixing this for you?