Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
I have a goodman heat pump for my upstairs in my 2 year old house that I decided to put a nest on. Brilliantly I decided t do this on the hottest day of the year. Since it was so hot, I did it very quickly, like 10 minute swap.
I triple checked everything before putting power back to it, even though some of the terminals on the old thermostat didn't match the new one (Y on Y1, E on *).
I went through the setup and fired it back up.... nothing.
My first thought was that E wire. I told the nest it was emergency heat, even though it also has aux heat. I have a whole house humidifier hooked up to the downstairs unit, but it seems to have a manual control, and why would the upstairs thermostat control parts of the downstairs unit?
During my troubleshooting, I noticed that I had initially flipped the one of the wrong breakers due to interesting wiring choices by the builder (air handler on the same breaker as attic lights?).
I tried changing settings on the nest to see if it would kick in, but never did. After resetting everything, the compressor would come on for about 3 minutes and then shut off. Finally I went and felt the registers and felt the slightest breeze from them. A piece of paper would stick to the return. I left it running like that to see if it would cool down any. The wife and I spent the night in our basement bedroom while the upstairs heated to 86°.
Today I started by checking fuses only to find that there are no fuses in the outside shutoff box.
Googling said that the short compressor run times could be a blown capacitor, so I got a new one using the specs in the manual. When I got home with the new cap in hand, I see that the old one is twice the size and shows no external signs of failure so I held off on replacing that.
Next my attention turned to the contactor. With the contact depressed, the compressor will run for as long as it is pushed in, and shut off immediately on release.
I decided to see if the pressure switches are tripped to see that my unit uses switches that don't appear to have a manual reset. Do they reset over time? Do I push the whole switch against the pipe to reset? To test this, I cut the system to off and left it for a few hours(it had been running in one way or another with few breaks for 18 hours). When I cut it back on, the air seemed to blow harder and cooler. SUCCESS! I left it to run for a half hour to start cooling down the upstairs. I come back to check and it's 1 degree warmer than it was! I run down and check the compressor and it's off.
I'm at my wits end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Red has been on both rc and rh. The nest manual implies it doesn't matter. It is currently on rh. White is on W2 like the original thermo. Try moving it? There was no blue on the original. The black from E is on *.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Before. I completely forgot to mention that switching back to this thermostat did not start the ac either. Of course I only tried this early on during the window that one or both pressure switches may have still been tripped.

I won't be home again until Friday to take a picture of the air handler

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Qwijib0 posted:

E is usually Emergency Heat, which the nest seems to have detected properly.

The nest asked what the * was and since it was on the E previously, I told it that it was emergency heat, which I am still skeptical of since it also has aux heat.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Nest update.

Turns out the original stat was wired wrong yet somehow worked until I disconnected it. I spent a week on the beach on Google and when I got home I tried moving the black wire to the C terminal and it fired right up!