Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

So I bought an old, c 1885, 2-story workers cottage in Chicago. It has a pair of gas-fired wall furnaces (one on each floor), and the idea is to modernize the HVAC. The wall furnaces are reasonably efficient (lack of insulation notwithstanding).

For those of you not familiar with the standard Chicago workers cottage, they're about as simple as layouts get. The building is rectangular, the roof is pitched facing the street, and the construction is standard balloon frame. In our case the layout of the two floors is pretty close to identical (it's split into two apartments) but we'll be tearing walls down and rearranging things. Our house is pretty small, roughly 600 sq ft per floor.

I keep looking at Mitsubishi Mr SLIM units - are those at all a viable option for both heating and cooling in my climate? Are they strictly electric-only, or can they run on gas?

If we go for a traditional split system, is running the ductwork between the floors, making it on the ceiling on the lower level and in the floor on the upper, a viable option?

It's also worth mentioning that we're planning on putting the sleeping quarters on the lower level, this home was built pre-street-raising-for-sewers, so it's essentially a house in a four foot deep hole, from the perspective of the sidewalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

yep. And that's a mercury switch atop that, don't break it! And bring it to your local proper recycling center for disposal.