Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Lock picking is a good life skill to learn! Bet you can buy a cheap set and have that door open in less than 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
Now that the house is sold, I feel OK posting this image.

You don't have to tell me this is wrong and not to code. And yes, the cardboard is touching the exhaust tube. I had a furnace inspection and the old furnace was so bad they did not want to trust it to run, but if I pay a deposit today they can get a temp furnace in!

When I called them, I was 95% sure I would need a new furnace, which is why I called a respected HVAC company. The old furnace was 35 years old and sometimes it just wouldn't light (The house was not occupied and in February when it was 20F out, I'd come over and it was 40F inside). The flames were wrapping around the burner tubes, the fan would run without heating anything, and let's face it, selling a house with a new furnace is easier than selling with a faulty 35 year old furnace that companies refused to repair.

Anyway. They said they were swamped and couldn't get a sheet metal worker out to do ducting and didn't want to put the expensive furnace into an unoccupied house when they haven't received full payment, so this was their solution. Temporary furnace, temporary ducting.

SO my question: What would be the PROPER way to do temporary ducting in this situation?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
I had my furnace and AC replaced a few days ago with a high-efficiency system with modulating fans, condenser and gas valve along with a thermostat that can handle that (ecobee pro) BUT they used the same 4-wire thermostat wire, so everything is reading single stage at the thermostat.

Is there any reason not to run as many conductors as possible? Can I use 18/8 sprinkler wire (I have lot left over) or should I really just get 18/7 or 18/10 thermostat wire?

They didn't want to run wire due to my "finished ceiling" (drop ceiling), and I understand that. But I'll rip out drywall if I have to so I can get the features I was sold.