Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

MRC48B posted:

loving honeywell. they're running the stats in 4pipe mode, but using two + eheat at the fancoil.

try the following, no warranty. if it doesn't work call someone:

I know this is your job, but still loving bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I found someone who describes all the work necessary to "convert" a straight AC unit to a heat pump. They say at the very start "The time and materials it would take to change an air conditioner into a heat pump are not worth it. You would be better off having a new heat pump installed replacing the old air conditioning unit. For me, or another HVAC technician, this would be a pet project for teaching students how to braze for refrigeration and wire heat pump controls for the proper sequence of operation."

Elviscat posted:

If he has an AC unit and furnace already, it should be pretty easy to have someone swap the AC unit for a heat pump, right?

If you mean just swapping the condenser, I seem to recall that the metering device in the evap coil of a straight AC system may not work as a heat pump, as it has to be designed for bi-directional refrigerant flow. The link I posted above doesn't mention it though? So...maybe.

I'd think that most straight AC systems would be older and thus probably R22, which would be its own issue with trying to find a matching heat pump condenser.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

DreadLlama posted:

It appears that my two main challenges are finding a high temperature refrigerant and a high temperature compressor. I never would have thought of water. Would I need to pre-boil it? I'm trying to visualize this would work. Would the water need to be under vacuum?

Water is a great idea - heated in a boiler to make steam and then run though a heat exchanger. This will easily reach the high temperatures you want, and would allow you to use cost effective energy dense fuels for heating, like a natural cellulose fiber made from carbon based life forms.

Then you can use a completely separate heat pump system that uses commonly available refrigerant to chill an insulated box to reach the lower cooling temperatures you desire.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

wolrah posted:

:cheers: So you're saying a machine exists that could sous vide my dinner while chilling my beer with the same electricity?

:rubshands:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Per the parts suppliers, that p/n has been superceded by current motor MOT18698, which is available in a few places online for about $450.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'd definitely suggest a contractor with experience working in historic buildings. I'm sure this isn't the first one in an area like yours .

I don't have any experience with the high velocity systems, except I watched them install one on This Old House for similar reasons that you have, and Richard was all about it. :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Normally I wouldn't suggest using the fan without the AC system as you will put a lot of humidity back into the air via evaporation from the condensate in the drain pan. Not sure if that's as undesirable in the desert, assuming it's an arid desert environment and the humidity is very low.

If ceiling fans are out, they do make upright fans that could be useful to move air around, in addition to the ubiquitous box fan. Also, if it gets cool at night there you could definitely take advantage by opening windows, especially in a two story house where you can take advantage of the rising air column when outside temps are desirable.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

stratdax posted:

If he's not running the AC, there won't be condensate in the drain pan...

No poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

stratdax posted:

??

Whatever

Not "whatever", I addressed the fact that the normal advice (which applies to most systems and climates) may not apply to a desert environment in the part you cut out.

You are also assuming that he won't run the AC at all. I was trying to consider all possibilities in my suggestion, and you quote me to disagree as if I were wrong and you know everything about OP's situation.